Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Agree 

Just now, Davefevs said:

I can’t believe we are selecting a striker who doesn’t want to be here over someone contracted to us for another 2+ years.  Brainless.  The value in Diedhiou, has gone, accept it.  Take any contract offers off the table (if they’re still on it) and move on.  Focus on the other players.

I agree with that for the rest of the season and would certainly start Wells and even give chances to Bell and other youngsters ahead of Fam. But I still think there is a massive question mark over Wells in the long term in terms of whether he will fit into the team going forward and, in the Summer, I'd like the new manager to either commit to a system that gets the best out of him or move him on. 

12 hours ago, Red Somerset said:

Appreciate the list by @LondonBristolian - and agree with others W e should look at keeping Rowe and Weimann as experienced heads and model pros for the youth players. 

I’d like to see a spine next season built around:

Bentley > Kalas > Williams > Martin

(Although not the youngest, I see Martin as a good focal point for attacks and other players to work around). 

Agree largely.

The only caveat with respect to Martin IMO is we have to manage his fitness correctly.

At Derby last season his fitness, strength and conditioning was managed very nicely. Was a fine focal point and got 12 goals, 7 assists.

From what I've read he was building up fitness until late September and even then he wasn't played every single week, every single midweek. 

Doesn't strike me as a player to play into the ground. If you pair him in a 3-5-2, I'd say (if fit) pair him with Weimann for some.

Martin can be pivot, Weimann can run and run.

20 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Put on notice to improve or be transfer listed

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

Move on if there is a buyer (but I suspect there may not be)b

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Move on at end of contract/loan

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Although I would keep bentley, I can see is selling him should a good offer come in as he’s one of only a few that hold decent potential income for us. O’Leary can step up if necessary.

moore is league one at best and should be moved on. Vyner should be moved back into defence as that’s where he’s best And would free up midfield spot for an actual midfielder like massengo.

personally I would be happy to see wells sold. Never looked or performed like he wants to be here. On a contract however and a new manager may get best out of him.

only reason I would keep Weimann is for his energy otherwise would help to release his wages off the books.

would look to sell o’dowda as he’s on borrowed time imo. Maybe LJ will take him back at Sunderland...

hunt without a doubt has to go.  Too slow, not athletic enough, not consistent.

all OOC should be released barring Walsh who should be re-signed at all costs to be given the chance to prove his ability.

i wanted to see Palmer succeed with us but how do you expect to get a tune out of a player when two managers decided not to trust/play him, shipped him out on loan and only brought him back because we were desperate. Beat for his own career that he finds a better home so I would say recoup what we can.

its going to be a busy and interesting summer for sure.

Wells still has the potential to be a very good striker for us but we’ll need play 2 up front in order to get the best out of him.

I don’t think we have strong enough midfielders to allow this to happen but if we bring the right manager in and make the right signings, this will allow a formation change to get the best out of him.

If we intend to play a different formation, we should certainly look to move him on. 

6 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

Wells still has the potential to be a very good striker for us but we’ll need play 2 up front in order to get the best out of him.

I don’t think we have strong enough midfielders to allow this to happen but if we bring the right manager in and make the right signings, this will allow a formation change to get the best out of him.

If we intend to play a different formation, we should certainly look to move him on. 

At QPR he predominantly played on his own with Eze, Chair, Bright-Osayi behind him.  Hugill partnered him in some games, but 4231.

Historically he’s played with a big man....Hanson, and without, Huddersfield.

But in all of his successes he’s been told to make central runs whether from passes or flicks.

Just now, Davefevs said:

At QPR he predominantly played on his own with Eze, Chair, Bright-Osayi behind him.  Hugill partnered him in some games, but 4231.

But in all of his successes he’s been told to make central runs whether from passes or flicks.

The problem for me is the lack of creative wingers and a decent number ten. If Eliasson had stayed, if Palmer was the player we hoped he was and if Semenyo was playing for a team in form then maybe we could use Wells in the way QPR did. But, as it is, I'd argue we don't have any of the 3 needed for a 4-2-3-1 at the moment...

4 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Would definitely keep Paterson and Wiemann. They were the key to our great start to the season and are very good championship players when fit. Both receive unfair criticism IMO 

I'm absolutely at the end of my tether with Paterson. He's a very good player when he wants to be but I think too many players who show up for one good game in five is the reason why we've never seen a play-off challenge through in recent seasons

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The problem for me is the lack of creative wingers and a decent number ten. If Eliasson had stayed, if Palmer was the player we hoped he was and if Semenyo was playing for a team in form then maybe we could use Wells in the way QPR did. But, as it is, I'd argue we don't have any of the 3 needed for a 4-2-3-1 at the moment...

Funny, because I think it is the temporary change that most fits our squad.  It’s a simple formation too, easy to get structure.

We only have one true striker at the mo’, because Fam is on the beach....so just play him.  

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm absolutely at the end of my tether with Paterson. He's a very good player when he wants to be but I think too many players who show up for one good game in five is the reason why we've never seen a play-off challenge through in recent seasons

Allegedly he’s been rushed back???

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought his most successful period there was alongside Hugill, I may be wrong though.

Another formation which works for him can only be a good thing.

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, I agree with all you say about Wells but it's exactly why I'd get rid of him. He's a good striker when played to his strengths but don't think that playing to his strengths is the best way to get the best out of the rest of his squad. Ultimately I don't think he should have been signed because we didn't have a clear plan to use him.

If the new manager works out a system he wants to play and that's one that gets the best out of Wells and uses him to his strengths, brilliant. But, if Wells continues to not fit the system, I'd rather he move on so he can do well elsewhere rather than continually be used as a square peg in a round hole. 

I don't think getting rid of him when we look likely to lose Diedhiou would make sense in any capacity. Wells should be our main central striker next season, the real issue is the midfield and how we have so many of them and yet we still lack strength and creativity. 

It's about time we stopped selling key assets because we don't have a manager who can get the most out of them and about time we started employing a manager who can get the most out of them. 

I think

Keep

Bentley

Wells- he can play, honest.

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Moore - there is a player in there

Janneh

Bell

Hunt

Rowe

Baker

Watkins

22 players

The only one I can't decide is Semenyo

Move on at end of contract/loan or just get rid.

O'Dowda

Palmer

Weimann

Sessegnon

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Hinds

11 players - and a fair chunk of wage - the Busy Bees have had their go. Be tougher, be stronger, not run around and just look busy

On 20/02/2021 at 19:56, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Lot of decisions to make, while some are obvious and I agree with a lot of this, a few thoughts come to mind.

Woolacott and Oleary are 24, I don't think we need both. Oleary is easily good enough to be No2. I'd bring through a younger keeper and let Woolacott find another club.
Taylor Moore has been good at times, been forced to that left side and we've seen others struggle there. I'd keep for back up, already loosing 2 experienced CB's and we won't have the funds to buy a squad.
Baker is one I'd keep, if we can sort a decent deal from our side. He's a very good defender and we've really missed him.
Wells , been covered but, playing the best finisher at the club as a winger, or a work horse for Fam is ridiculous . Under contract and we're losing Fam, madness to move on.
Weimann I would trigger the contact, no reason to think he wouldn't be able to get back to full fitness and the decision might have to come before he can prove it. Another we would have to spend on transfer fees to replace, makes sense to give him the year.
Watkins , If he was under contact I'd happily keep him. Would add some muscle to the midfield , direct and puts himself about. Another poorly treated here.
Bakinson, Edwards, Edwards, Semenyo, Janneh, Bell, Towler & Pring. I think they would all benefit from a loan, I think the new rules might stop that. Bakinson needs football to get him to think quicker and improve his choices, same in part applies to Semenyo, although it will be interesting to see what the new coach does with him.
ODowda & Palmer won't have teams queuing up for them, but TBF Palmer has looked to put in a shift lately, and COD was looking decent before injury (again).
Rowe is another I'd probably keep, his versatility is really handy from the bench, plus add rotation for JD.

That looks like.

KEEPERS; Bentley, OLeary
DEFENDERS; Baker, Vyner, Moore, Kalas, DaSilva, Rowe
MIDFIELD; Nagy, HNM, Williams, Walsh, ODowda, Palmer
STRIKERS; Martin, Wells, Weimann ,(Semenyo)

Supposing none of the young players count towards a 25 man squad, we need bodies in.
I still think that is the basis of a side that should be better than we have been.

15 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Should have been moved on 3 seasons ago, does have ability but no loyalty or ambition here, Weimann if fit gets everyone moving, difficult to replace, must keep!
Not a clue what’s wrong with Wells, nothing in his play to say he wants to be here, lazy and unreliable.

Perhaps Pearson will get some respect and effort, but if we survive the drop I think next season will see a completely different level of enthusiasm.

On 20/02/2021 at 19:56, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Totally agree with the above . Add to that giving the captaincy to someone other than Kalas . Great player but not vocal enough on the pitch for that role. 

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

Should have been moved on 3 seasons ago, does have ability but no loyalty or ambition here, Weimann if fit gets everyone moving, difficult to replace, must keep!
Not a clue what’s wrong with Wells, nothing in his play to say he wants to be here, lazy and unreliable.

Perhaps Pearson will get some respect and effort, but if we survive the drop I think next season will see a completely different level of enthusiasm.

Think Pearson will get the best out of Wells, and play him in his correct position.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly he’s been rushed back???

Maybe, but similar inconsistency - good spells,  poor/invisible spells seem to have been a feature of Pato's whole career, and it's been similar at AG.

I agree he's a 1 in 5 player; very good for that 1 - looks a silky player and a real crowd pleaser - but it's not enough.

Keep

Bentley 

Dasilva

Nagy

Walsh

O'Leary

Wollacott

Pring

Williams

Wells

Kalas

Edwards

Edwards

Pearson

Bakinson

Bell

Towler 

Massengo

Palmer

Smith

Nurse

Get Rid

Hunt

Baker

Martin

Diedhiou 

Paterson

O'Dowda

Weimann

Lansbury

Semenyo

Mariappa

Moore

Vyner

Adelakun

Gilmartin

Watkins

On 21/02/2021 at 13:51, bcfc01 said:

Paste job from LondonBristolian with a few changes

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott - loan out

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner - as a defender only

Kalas

Baker

Towler - loan out

Massengo

Nagy

Hunt

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Palmer

Edwards - loan out

Edwards - loan out

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh - loan out

Bell - Loan out

Moore

Weimann

Wells

Move on 

O'Dowda

Rowe

Sessegnon

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Agree but don’t loan out Edwards he looks better prospect then Seymenyo.

Looks quicker and can down the outside. Would be good in a front 3.

For me the best of the kids. 

Also Fammy get rid he is part of our problem. He’s first touch is shocking and rarely holds the ball up. We can find better at cheaper wages.

On 21/02/2021 at 13:39, Davefevs said:

Yes, he does.  Big question will be whether you extend on the terms agreed, or try to re-negotiate.  Woukd be massively helpful if Andi could get back this season and show he’s ok.  If so, no brainer, even on current terms.

Comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I can’t believe we are selecting a striker who doesn’t want to be here over someone contracted to us for another 2+ years.  Brainless.  The value in Diedhiou, has gone, accept it.  Take any contract offers off the table (if they’re still on it) and move on.  Focus on the other players.

Trouble is Wells has also been shite and isn't as good a player.  I agree Fam should be left out though. Let him fester on the bench for a bit and then he'll soon return to his best as it dawns on him he needs to earn a contract somewhere. 

On 21/02/2021 at 13:43, Bobbie said:

Would definitely keep Paterson and Wiemann. They were the key to our great start to the season and are very good championship players when fit. Both receive unfair criticism IMO 

No no no. Need to look forward.

Paterson  29 years old and flatters to deceive. We need warriors not busy bees. 

Change is coming not more of the same. Get a young hungry 23 year old from League 1 in who has scope to improve quickly

Archived