IGNORED

Kalas Interview

Bs4Red

Just now, Alessandro said:

The problem these days are players are expensive assets and often hold the cards - this kind of thing rarely happens because of that. I think that kind of treatment is more likely to make other players down tools rather than buck up (unless said player did something particularly wrong) - fact is players know, they're often on 3 year plus contracts and they will probably average 2/3 managers at every club they play for. 

In some cases, the problem with disgruntled players comes from the top - r.e contracts. Not much any coach can do about that.

Diedhiou is no longer an expensive asset.  He’s worth zero....and facetiously appears to be worth less than his weekly wages on the pitch too.

There is no longer a financial consideration in dropping him.  Just effin do it!

29 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

You know how he mentioned reading shit on social media......⬆️⬆️

Guess you missed the fact Kalas makes the most blocks and clearances of any of our players?

I guess you also missed him laying into the midfield against Reading?

I guess you missed the fact that he has been going round the changing room talking to players?

Yes the players need to take more responsibility - but Kalas is not one of the problems. 

This is fair comment, but I genuinely did not see signs of true leadership on the field yesterday.  I am certainly not criticising his performances, but it appears that a lot of our problems at present are to do with confidence and self-belief, and what appears to be lacking is motivation.  I don’t look at Simpson and Downing and see any signs of them being motivational, and so it has to fall to the senior pros to pick the players up on the pitch.  I watched Kalas carefully yesterday, and didn’t see any evidence of him geeing the players up at set pieces, for instance.  Leading by example is great, but if you watch someone like Jordan Henderson you’ll see that he’s talking to the other players all the time.  I think Kalas is a very good player, but as I said earlier now is the time to convert his anger and frustration into leadership on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

The problem these days are players are expensive assets and often hold the cards - this kind of thing rarely happens because of that. I think that kind of treatment is more likely to make other players down tools rather than buck up (unless said player did something particularly wrong) - fact is players know, they're often on 3 year plus contracts and they will probably average 2/3 managers at every club they play for. 

In some cases, the problem with disgruntled players comes from the top - r.e contracts. Not much any coach can do about that.

I can't disagree with what you've said. I just know that what's happening now isn't working - so where do we go from here?

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Paterson is an interesting one, as at this time I dont think we have any others who can play his role.

I do wonder if you're right about him hiding is because he's still carrying an injury and isn't 100% fit yet?

When the going gets tough, Paterson goes missing.

Its been that way all the time he's been here.

When its going well he's very good, but he has no part to play for the rest of this season imo.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The modern player doesn’t take bollockings....they take clear, concise, tactical instruction.

Tub-thumping is 15-20 years out of date.

I would suggest Tub-thumping still has its place, Dave. You can look at McCarthy and Warnock for that, Pearson too whilst at Watford. Yes, they may have mellowed somewhat but all can organise and will no doubt throw a cup of isotar as and when required. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, did you hear Simpson admit they’ve rushed Paterson and Sessegnon back.  So, I’m willing to cut Paterson a little bit of slack.

Yes, I did hear that, so he shouldn't have been on the pitch in that case - another argument.

My view is just that Paterson goes through the motions when things aren't going well and I wouldn't cut him any slack at all. He's not what is required at this time imo.

2 hours ago, City37 said:

Yep - needs to be roaring at them on the pitch but not in his character.

Too quiet on the pitch for me.

Although one of our better players, I have been disappointed with him considering what we paid for him.

5 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Talk is cheap. Would rather he shoved rockets up his teammates on the pitch. 

He's not that sort of captain though, Tinnion alluded to it in a podcast interview as well, he's the sort of leader who leads through his performances rather than how vocal he is, the same way Flint didn't need the arm band to be vocal and act as a leader. It shouldn't just be up to Kalas it should be any senior player (or even younger player stepping up) who are motivating each other and acting as a leader on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, did you hear Simpson admit they’ve rushed Paterson and Sessegnon back.  So, I’m willing to cut Paterson a little bit of slack.

I'd also cut Pato a bit of slack on the basis this has been his first 'proper' injury of his career, wouldn't be surprised for him to come back cautious, especially having not played any 23's games to get himself back in the flow.

1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I would suggest Tub-thumping still has its place, Dave. You can look at McCarthy and Warnock for that, Pearson too whilst at Watford. Yes, they may have mellowed somewhat but all can organise and will no doubt throw a cup of isotar as and when required. 

Yes, I accept they might shout and bawl, but they’ll each do it with tactical coherence, even if that tactic is basic, e.g. just effin lump it forward....because they’ll have also explained everything else that goes with lumping it, like midfield runners, squeezing up.  They will definitely show their displeasure when plans are not being executed.

I guess clarifying tub-thumping might help.  For me that’s lots of loud “come on”, “let’s do it”, “rahhhhh”.  That’s just words.

Telling players they’ve not carried out the plan in a loud, aggressive voice is probably fine.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's not that sort of captain though, Tinnion alluded to it in a podcast interview as well, he's the sort of leader who leads through his performances rather than how vocal he is, the same way Flint didn't need the arm band to be vocal and act as a leader. It shouldn't just be up to Kalas it should be any senior player (or even younger player stepping up) who are motivating each other and acting as a leader on the pitch.

Agree, worth a listen.  I picked up on that too.  In fact I’ve been saying that all season.

24 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I can't disagree with what you've said. I just know that what's happening now isn't working - so where do we go from here?

Hopefully where we go from here is to a much more experienced, qualified and capable coach - that will go along way to start fixing some issues on, and hopefully off the pitch. ?

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do think Kalas was aiming some of it at Diedhiou.  Another “going through the motions game”, and I know it’s trendy to bash Wells, but in his 20+ minutes yesterday he linked up better and more often with the team than Fam did all game.  He makes more runs, he comes short, he spins in behind.  He doesn’t always get the ball, that’s fine.

Without boring you with stats we saw Wells trying to receive in both corners of the final third, we saw him drop deep to receive balls out of defence or from Bakinson.  Our little counter attacks came from Wells dropping in and laying off to an onrushing midfielder.  I know his touch can be bad, but so can Fam’s.

Fam’s pass map yesterday is horrible.

He seriously needs to be dropped.  I wouldn’t even have him in the 20 at the mo.  His arms are flailing too much too, gonna get a red card if he’s not careful.  Opposition defenders are catching onto the idea.  He’s a liability currently.  I think Kalas knows it.

I appreciate we aimed a lot of long balls down the CBs throat, but in general play he just doesn’t show for a pass.

This is no longer one of his little runs of bad form, this is “I’m leaving, more fool you for playing me”.  We certainly aren’t getting value on the pitch.  What a ridiculous statement that turned out to be....abd that’s not in hindsight either.

The only thing I seen Fam do yesterday, was constantly stand offside and then stroll back which prevented the ball being played forward, the only stat we had more off yesterday than Barnsley was 7-0 on offsides. 

46 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Trouble is. This is his interview from 5 months ago after the opening day victory against Coventry. They knew back then there were issues. They've not been fixed. Instead they've festered and become so bad that major surgery is now required.

Makes knew but Holden was in denial. As were those fans who would not acknowledge that our results were misleading and that our performances would find us out.

When I read comments about players not giving 100% on the pitch, I wonder if some of them have a sort of psychological block due to the amount of injuries in our team and the possibility of entering the list. Add it to fitness issues (for the most used ones like Hunt or those who have just recovered from their injuries) and low confidence... ?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This is fair comment, but I genuinely did not see signs of true leadership on the field yesterday.  I am certainly not criticising his performances, but it appears that a lot of our problems at present are to do with confidence and self-belief, and what appears to be lacking is motivation.  I don’t look at Simpson and Downing and see any signs of them being motivational, and so it has to fall to the senior pros to pick the players up on the pitch.  I watched Kalas carefully yesterday, and didn’t see any evidence of him geeing the players up at set pieces, for instance.  Leading by example is great, but if you watch someone like Jordan Henderson you’ll see that he’s talking to the other players all the time.  I think Kalas is a very good player, but as I said earlier now is the time to convert his anger and frustration into leadership on the pitch.

Is Kalas the best captain we've had, no. Is Kalas as good a captain as Henderson, no. But I think people have become overly fixated on Kalas' leadership, pinning opinions on what you can't really see or tell from 90 minutes of robins TV.

For me, Kalas, despite not being the best captain ever, is probably the, if not the best player we have, our MVP, our most professional and consistent player on the pitch. Frankly when it comes to choosing a captain, there is no one else better and available in our current squad IMO.

There are plenty of horses to flog, Kalas isn't one for me. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The modern player doesn’t take bollockings....they take clear, concise, tactical instruction.

Tub-thumping is 15-20 years out of date.

Don't agree with this. The likes of Pearson and Warnock wouldn't be successful if this was true.

Didn't our Cardiff ex-pats say that Warnock wasn't particularly good tactically, but was great at man-management? There's at least one video on YouTube if you need to see how he 'man-manages'.

Edit: Sorry, Hadn't read as far as Engvall's Splinter. ?

57 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The only thing I seen Fam do yesterday, was constantly stand offside and then stroll back which prevented the ball being played forward, the only stat we had more off yesterday than Barnsley was 7-0 on offsides. 

Please take the contract offer off the table....NOW....this is a sign of what we’ll get on £30k per week.

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Don't agree with this. The likes of Pearson and Warnock wouldn't be successful if this was true.

Didn't our Cardiff ex-pats say that Warnock wasn't particularly good tactically, but was great at man-management? There's at least one video on YouTube if you need to see how he 'man-manages'.

Read the post I posted afterwards, where I clarify what I meant.  You can bollock, but the likes of Warnock will do it with tactical instruction too.  They might belittle you at that moment, but they’ll leave you knowing exactly what they expect.

Archived