Jump to content
IGNORED

Kalas Interview


Bs4Red
 Share

Recommended Posts

Perhaps someone needs to tweet Gregor to ask in the pre match presser something like ‘given the captains comments hinting at annoyance at a lack of effort from some, when are we going to see academy players who you know will at least be giving it their all?’

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think what this also shows is the folly of running things via Zoom (or in Bermuda) if the person on point isn’t good enough. 
 

That interview, and a few before with Kalas, has shown he’s very frustrated. If he’s this candid on camera (no gags please), imagine what he’d say in private. And if Steve or Jon were here, he’d no doubt be saying it to them. We were a few weeks late in sacking Holden because Ashton couldn’t do the job. Without SL here and getting the real feel for the mood around the place, we may well be late on appointing - and that will be too late.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

My guess is part of the malaise is “**** you” from those players but also a desire to not risk getting hurt if they are going to be looking for a new club soon. 

If I was told my company was closing at Easter and I would be unemployed, I wouldn’t be earning the Queen’s Award for Industry between now and then. 

Exactly.

I was going to start a new thread highlighting the players point of view, but you’ve mentioned the two main points!

The players know they are playing hamstring roulette at every training session, so are they going to be training as hard as possible to correct this slump? Interesting that “hard work” has been the call to action from Holden, Simpson and now Kalas. So we can assume that hard work has been missing. 

Plenty are OOC so again as you say, why would they risk themselves. As much as it’ll irk some, they have no real affinity to City, it is their job. 

They’re also being told there’s no money for new contracts, all the while Lansdown says there’s money for a new boss, for a new side, and for new facilities. Got to be pretty demotivating if you’re deemed not good enough for a new contract but you’re then being whipped to perform. 

The turning point for me recently was the talk of player unrest at the medical team. Simpson confirmed yesterday that Sess and Pato have been rushed back to quick. Edwards has been carrying an Achilles injury the interim manager didn’t even know about!!! Let that sink in for a minute. We know this was definitely the case for Williams too. Maybe Mawson. Maybe Walsh who is playing for the U23’s next Tuesday. Imagine that as a player, that you’re not going to get the correct treatment. Not exactly going to go blood and thunder into anything are you if that’s the back up?

The players have also had to put up with second rate coaching all season. Have we played well at all? Debatable. The players will know that. Confidence breeds good results, and what reason do they have to be confident?

I get it entirely that these are professionals, and are paid ridiculous sums for it. I’m a design engineer by trade, and I’ve had some terrible managers. Managers who stopped me wanting to go to work a lot of the time. I’ve also worked on badly run projects. Yes I still got paid, but did I bust my balls for it? Did I go the extra mile for the manager who I knew couldn’t find his arse with both hands?

Out of all the shambles going on, it’s the signs of player disharmony with the club and potentially each other that concerns me most. The new manager needs to sort that ASAP and that’s easier said than done. Never been more important to find the right man for the job, and quickly  


 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

His frustration is obvious. The manager is always the scapegoat and fans default reaction is always call for the manager to be sacked when questions of commitment should be asked of those on the pitch. How many of our match day squad are “winners” and have a winners mentality. Probably not enough sadly

As for frustration it goes beyond the other players on the pitch. If I’m a player at Bristol City who wants to “win” I’d be frustrated at the lack of ambition and recent shambolic recruitment process that resulted in Holden’s appointment. I don’t blame Holden at all but if the club appoint another rookie, especially anyone previously associated with members of the board then it will further alienate the fans. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Talk is cheap. Would rather he shoved rockets up his teammates on the pitch. 

Yep - needs to be roaring at them on the pitch but not in his character.

Too quiet on the pitch for me.

Although one of our better players, I have been disappointed with him considering what we paid for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, lenred said:

Coaches can ‘try to make a better atmosphere, if that’s possible at the moment’  

Very worrying quote for me especially how he said it.  Something going on in that dressing room at the moment by the sounds of it.  Incredibly worrying and downbeat interview all told from our leader sounds like the rut is far greater than imagined.  

Effectively he’s working in an environment where half his colleagues are on notice of redundancy... that can be poisonous at the best of times. 
I’d like to see every player giving it their all but how much effort would any of us be putting in where one injury could see us unemployment for a year or more?  That’s the world Weimann potentially finds himself in. 
It’s a stupid situation created by not renewing contracts (presumably with a view to cutting costs)... how would any of us feel if our employer behaved in this way? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone was in any doubt that relegation is a real possibility then that interview conforms it.

If you have not got team spirit and fight in your senior key players then we are in real trouble

I had thought get rid of Holden and the other muppets, we would turn a corner, having watched that I am not so sure.

Although it can't help when players are looking at the team set up with players out of position and players who have performed well dropped and a pair of muppets carrying on with the previous failed managers plans.

We need the new manager ASAP, but in the mean time we also need to get rid of DH series 2 and have Tinman in, who at least knows the players and in particular the younger ones, what they are capable of and we will at least have a coach in the dressing room who gives a shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Wow, what a brutally honest assessment. 

He is so right, you look at the midfield and forward players today, the only ones to emerge with any credit were Palmer and Nagy when he belatedly came on. As for the rest no pressing, passing accuracy woeful, first touch poor, positioning hopeless. 

The spirit is broken and we will not put in back together by picking the same failing players week after week:

. Fammy has not looked interested since end of the transfer window

. Semenyo carries a threat but all too often his first touch and decision making let him down

. Pato is OOC and possibly as a result doesn't seem up for it

. Vyner is not a midfielder his passing accuracy is woeful, I'd play him CB instead of Marriappa

. Lansbury looks a complete waste of time & money signing

Pick those who show commitment in the game, Palmer, Nagy, Massengo, Wells in the centre. Put in Bell and Pearson, at the very least they would both bring pace and enthusiasm to the side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Honest assessment? 

Cheap words from a modern day footballer.

I am fed of watching these post match interviews weather its City, Man Utd, England.

What we want to see some honesty on the pitch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, City37 said:

Honest assessment? 

Cheap words from a modern day footballer.

I am fed of watching these post match interviews weather its City, Man Utd, England.

What we want to see some honesty on the pitch.

 

Harsh imho. That was a far more honest appraisal than the usual media trained anodyne shite that most players come out with after a game. Agree though - it’s still only words. Hopefully Kalas can help sort out the performances. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Wow, what a brutally honest assessment. 

He is so right, you look at the midfield and forward players today, the only ones to emerge with any credit were Palmer and Nagy when he belatedly came on. As for the rest no pressing, passing accuracy woeful, first touch poor, positioning hopeless. 

The spirit is broken and we will not put in back together by picking the same failing players week after week:

. Fammy has not looked interested since end of the transfer window

. Semenyo carries a threat but all too often his first touch and decision making let him down

. Pato is OOC and possibly as a result doesn't seem up for it

. Vyner is not a midfielder his passing accuracy is woeful, I'd play him CB instead of Marriappa

. Lansbury looks a complete waste of time & money signing

Pick those who show commitment in the game, Palmer, Nagy, Massengo, Wells in the centre. Put in Bell and Pearson, at the very least they would both bring pace and enthusiasm to the side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Glad  someone  else sees  vyner as a midfielder as a joke constantly  giving the ball away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Harsh imho. That was a far more honest appraisal than the usual media trained anodyne shite that most players come out with after a game. Agree though - it’s still only words. Hopefully Kalas can help sort out the performances. 

Possibly a little harsh - as we don't know what's going on behind the scenes  (fractions within squad) etc.

We need him to show some real character now - but on the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s clear from this interview that the new head coach will have a huge mess to sort out, possibly worse than we all first thought. 

If the club didn’t already know it then they should now, that this is not a job for an up and coming coach. 

Whoever comes in must not only have managed at this level with a decent record, it’s got to be someone who’s gonna get respect from these players, because most of them don’t seem to give a shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our situation appears more dire than anyone realised, I had always hoped for Howe, Jockovic type of appointment, but think now we need to find a manager who can keep us up and can rebuild to take us to next level or if we do go down is prepared to work at D1 level to get us back up, would Howe ect have the stomach for that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Top bloke?  Where was the leadership on the field yesterday?  Our present situation is screaming out for the senior pros to take responsibility, but I’ve seen very little evidence from anyone, including Kalas.  Did anyone see him having a go at the senior pros on the pitch, or encouraging the youngsters?  I didn’t.  Do you think you’d have got that abject performance if Shaun Taylor had been in Kalas’s position? I know that the captain doesn’t carry as much responsibility in football as they do in many other sports, but if there’s any point in having a captain at all, then surely our present situation is it.  Kalas needs to translate his frustration, which we all share, into leadership on the field.

 You know how he mentioned reading shit on social media......⬆️⬆️

Guess you missed the fact Kalas makes the most blocks and clearances of any of our players?

I guess you also missed him laying into the midfield against Reading?

I guess you missed the fact that he has been going round the changing room talking to players?

Yes the players need to take more responsibility - but Kalas is not one of the problems. 

  • Like 5
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Our situation appears more dire than anyone realised, I had always hoped for Howe, Jockovic type of appointment, but think now we need to find a manager who can keep us up and can rebuild to take us to next level or if we do go down is prepared to work at D1 level to get us back up, would Howe ect have the stomach for that? 

Agreed. I've heard good things about Howe, but my own personal gut instinct indicates that he's a thinker and quietly spoken character.

At this moment in time, we need someone to come in, organise, give them a bollocking, be prepared to front them out (and in the kindest possible way, I cannot see a woman coach doing that), and get stuck into them.

They've obviously got it far too easy to just go through the motions, so we need another "Fred Ford" scenario - for those who remember! (Certainly not me, but my Dad certainly said he sorted them out good n proper!)

Therefore, candidates for me are Pearson, Cook, Jockovic and for short term fixes, some like Warnock, McCarthy (but they're not going to want to come to us to be stop gap)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fam cannot hold the ball up, it just bounces off him. He’s not interested and should not be in the squad. Lansbury was a pointless signing. Wells has been rubbish. We need people who can hold onto the ball to at least stand some chance of building an attack. Difficult to criticise the young lads. Play Vyner in the right position and stick with Semenyo. He’s our only forward with pace. Palmer came out of the game with some credit but needs to help us retain possession longer. It’s a right mess but we need to pick players who will at least play with some pride. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, glos old boy said:

and to our forwards, this is what you are supposed to do;Scoring Man Utd GIF by Manchester United

I do think Kalas was aiming some of it at Diedhiou.  Another “going through the motions game”, and I know it’s trendy to bash Wells, but in his 20+ minutes yesterday he linked up better and more often with the team than Fam did all game.  He makes more runs, he comes short, he spins in behind.  He doesn’t always get the ball, that’s fine.

Without boring you with stats we saw Wells trying to receive in both corners of the final third, we saw him drop deep to receive balls out of defence or from Bakinson.  Our little counter attacks came from Wells dropping in and laying off to an onrushing midfielder.  I know his touch can be bad, but so can Fam’s.

Fam’s pass map yesterday is horrible.

He seriously needs to be dropped.  I wouldn’t even have him in the 20 at the mo.  His arms are flailing too much too, gonna get a red card if he’s not careful.  Opposition defenders are catching onto the idea.  He’s a liability currently.  I think Kalas knows it.

I appreciate we aimed a lot of long balls down the CBs throat, but in general play he just doesn’t show for a pass.

This is no longer one of his little runs of bad form, this is “I’m leaving, more fool you for playing me”.  We certainly aren’t getting value on the pitch.  What a ridiculous statement that turned out to be....abd that’s not in hindsight either.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Agreed. I've heard good things about Howe, but my own personal gut instinct indicates that he's a thinker and quietly spoken character.

At this moment in time, we need someone to come in, organise, give them a bollocking, be prepared to front them out (and in the kindest possible way, I cannot see a woman coach doing that), and get stuck into them.

They've obviously got it far too easy to just go through the motions, so we need another "Fred Ford" scenario - for those who remember! (Certainly not me, but my Dad certainly said he sorted them out good n proper!)

Therefore, candidates for me are Pearson, Cook, Jockovic and for short term fixes, some like Warnock, McCarthy (but they're not going to want to come to us to be stop gap)

I don't subscribe to the theory that they need some sort of old school boot camp manager.

You can also achieve it by challenging them to be their best through coaching, standards and expectations - and to have a tactical and coaching platform from which they can go out on the pitch, knowing roles, trusting the system and each other....and then they've got a chance of performing at their best.

You can do all the cuddling or shouting you want - but it won't help if they don't know what they're doing - see vs Reading where the extra 'effort' was to give away a ridiculous number of fouls.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

Fam cannot hold the ball up, it just bounces off him. He’s not interested and should not be in the squad. Lansbury was a pointless signing. Wells has been rubbish. We need people who can hold onto the ball to at least stand some chance of building an attack. Difficult to criticise the young lads. Play Vyner in the right position and stick with Semenyo. He’s our only forward with pace. Palmer came out of the game with some credit but needs to help us retain possession longer. It’s a right mess but we need to pick players who will at least play with some pride. 

Yep agreed. Put players on the pitch who can retain a ball ie. Nagy, Massengo and even Paterson. Unfortunately, I like Semenyo, but he's so direct, the ball is either lost by him trying to beat a man, or giving it away with no control or a poor pass.

We need that ball to stick up top to give us a chance of moving the backline up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

Fam cannot hold the ball up, it just bounces off him. He’s not interested and should not be in the squad. Lansbury was a pointless signing. Wells has been rubbish. We need people who can hold onto the ball to at least stand some chance of building an attack. Difficult to criticise the young lads. Play Vyner in the right position and stick with Semenyo. He’s our only forward with pace. Palmer came out of the game with some credit but needs to help us retain possession longer. It’s a right mess but we need to pick players who will at least play with some pride. 

See my post a few posts above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Alessandro said:

I don't subscribe to the theory that they need some sort of old school boot camp manager.

You can also achieve it by challenging them to be their best through coaching, standards and expectations - and to have a tactical and coaching platform from which they can go out on the pitch, knowing roles, trusting the system and each other....and then they've got a chance of performing at their best.

You can do all the cuddling or shouting you want - but it won't help if they don't know what they're doing - see vs Reading where the extra 'effort' was to give away a ridiculous number of fouls.

The modern player doesn’t take bollockings....they take clear, concise, tactical instruction.

Tub-thumping is 15-20 years out of date.

  • Like 5
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I don't subscribe to the theory that they need some sort of old school boot camp manager.

You can also achieve it by challenging them to be their best through coaching, standards and expectations - and to have a tactical and coaching platform from which they can go out on the pitch, knowing roles, trusting the system and each other....and then they've got a chance of performing at their best.

You can do all the cuddling or shouting you want - but it won't help if they don't know what they're doing - see vs Reading where the extra 'effort' was to give away a ridiculous number of fouls.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, however I think the manager to get that out of them needs to have an air of being able to threaten them. Whether thats sticking them in the u23s to rot, or training on their own, the manager just need a little bit more nastiness about them.

If we do have players disgruntled and going through the motions, do we really want that rubbing off on the players who are actually trying?

But I agree, we do need a plan, and everyone knowing their roles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The modern player doesn’t take bollockings....they take clear, concise, tactical instruction.

Tub-thumping is 15-20 years out of date.

Absolutely Dave. The idea of shouting and balling/rocket up the arse/hair dryer treatment/senior players slapping people around - 20 years out of date. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

Yep agreed. Put players on the pitch who can retain a ball ie. Nagy, Massengo and even Paterson. Unfortunately, I like Semenyo, but he's so direct, the ball is either lost by him trying to beat a man, or giving it away with no control or a poor pass.

We need that ball to stick up top to give us a chance of moving the backline up.

I'd mostly agree, with the exception of Paterson.

Him and Diedhiou need to be dropped out of the squad for the rest of the season imo.

Fed up with Paterson hiding during games - moving out of a passing line so he doesn't get the ball, avoiding physical contact at all costs, and totally anonymous unless things are going well.

Loss of form or cofidence is an occupational hazard, not being good enough is ok, but going through the motions is not acceptable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this, however I think the manager to get that out of them needs to have an air of being able to threaten them. Whether thats sticking them in the u23s to rot, or training on their own, the manager just need a little bit more nastiness about them.

If we do have players disgruntled and going through the motions, do we really want that rubbing off on the players who are actually trying?

But I agree, we do need a plan, and everyone knowing their roles.

Yep, definitely ways to achieve results.  If you can’t motivate them by a place in the starting line-up then the obvious thing is to not pick them.

Abd that’s what I advocate with Diedhiou....taking it as far as not including him in the 20.  You will see his true colours then.  It might not achieve anything, in which case he stays out of the squad.  It might not be seen as good DNA for a future team, so he then has a choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this, however I think the manager to get that out of them needs to have an air of being able to threaten them. Whether thats sticking them in the u23s to rot, or training on their own, the manager just need a little bit more nastiness about them.

If we do have players disgruntled and going through the motions, do we really want that rubbing off on the players who are actually trying?

But I agree, we do need a plan, and everyone knowing their roles.

The problem these days are players are expensive assets and often hold the cards - this kind of thing rarely happens because of that. I think that kind of treatment is more likely to make other players down tools rather than buck up (unless said player did something particularly wrong) - fact is players know, they're often on 3 year plus contracts and they will probably average 2/3 managers at every club they play for. 

In some cases, the problem with disgruntled players comes from the top - r.e contracts. Not much any coach can do about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'd mostly agree, with the exception of Paterson.

Him and Diedhiou need to be dropped out of the squad for the rest of the season imo.

Fed up with Paterson hiding during games - moving out of a passing line so he doesn't get the ball, avoiding physical contact at all costs, and totally anonymous unless things are going well.

Loss of form or cofidence is an occupational hazard, not being good enough is ok, but going through the motions is not acceptable.

Out of interest, did you hear Simpson admit they’ve rushed Paterson and Sessegnon back.  So, I’m willing to cut Paterson a little bit of slack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'd mostly agree, with the exception of Paterson.

Him and Diedhiou need to be dropped out of the squad for the rest of the season imo.

Fed up with Paterson hiding during games - moving out of a passing line so he doesn't get the ball, avoiding physical contact at all costs, and totally anonymous unless things are going well.

Loss of form or cofidence is an occupational hazard, not being good enough is ok, but going through the motions is not acceptable.

Paterson is an interesting one, as at this time I dont think we have any others who can play his role.

I do wonder if you're right about him hiding is because he's still carrying an injury and isn't 100% fit yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...