IGNORED

Jesus, let's be more positive

Lorenzos Only Goal

My issue is we're such a shit show, whose going to want to come and turn it around - while not having the sufficient controls to do so? 

Seems the entire structure and communication between all levels of the club is non existent. 

Add to that Lansdown not wanting someone ripping up the 'work' done so far, and it just fills me with a grim determination that the outlook will not improve any time soon.

Genuinely feel pity for anyone who gets the job, as they'll be coming in expecting some semblance of basic communication across all levels of the club and we cannot even manage that apparently. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Semenyo can get his league 1 experience with us next season 

Good News: He's had L1 experience.

Bad News: I hope you're sitting down but to inform - he failed to score, not once, nada, zero, zilch......

He did however set L2 alight. 3 league goals in 21 appearances, 0 in 5 FA Cup & a whopping 1 in 2 League Cup. So it's the season after next we have to look forward to if he continues to be part of our set-up.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Either our players are crap or DH is far worse than I imagine. 

Semenyo: "I play as a striker in the championship". 

Curious bystander: "So, how many championship goals have you scored in 30-40 appearances?" 

Semenyo:"none". 

Curious bystander:"did you say defender? ?". 

I'm not blaming Semenyo - his scoring famine, in my view, comes almost entirely from poor coaching. I don't expect him to score 20 a season, but we've failed as a club to get him firing at all. 

I think dean Holden was awful and don't underestimate the damage that's been done.  I think it was obvious that Semenyo needed a L1 loan end of last season he could have gone got that little bit of extra finishing ability and would could have a quality striker on our hands.  Problem is LJ's recall last Jan and this Holden experiment has probably set him back which is a real shame as he's got clear ability, he's just not Championship ready.  Bakinson has literally been thrown to the wolves, again clear ability but he probably needed a loan at another club maybe top end L1 or Championship rival there is no harm in that if your serious about developing your players.  Again I blame Holden for this and his lackadaisical approach to youth,  the guy was an idiot.

We need a decent progressive manager to sort this mess out, and I'm not objected to the idea of a bit of a blunt tool to come in and stop the rot and get the points needed to stay up.  I hope we don't get relegated is got all sorts of negative connotations not least you need a level of physicality to get out of that league we don't have. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

So what? What's that got to do with the ability to do the job?

Just more croneyism and acceptance of the status quo, that’s what, when the ‘system’ needs to be challenged and improved.     

Also what’s so great about his managerial record? I don’t get it?  Circa 45% win rate at lower league level and low 20% at Championship  level? I just don’t see it personally.  But it’s happening by the looks of it so best get used to it I guess! 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

So what? What's that got to do with the ability to do the job?

His record in the Championshio is not good. Admittedly that was a few years ago and he’s had more experience since then but in terms of knowing this division and what it takes to keep us up, he is not the right man for the job. It would also smack of Ashton appointing one of his mates yet again.

In fact the more I hear about Mark Ashton, the more his methods seem similar to those “Italian business families” who like to promote their own  and demand ultimate loyalty.

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Bad News: I hope you're sitting down but to inform - he failed to score, not once, nada, zero, zilch......

He did however set L2 alight. 3 league goals in 21 appearances, 0 in 5 FA Cup & a whopping 1 in 2 League Cup. So it's the season after next we have to look forward to if he continues to be part of our set-up.

I think he needed to stay at Newport and he would have developed nicely and we shouldn't rule out that he's not a striker, and we let him play out of midfield or let him go its not the end of the world, but playing him in this team now is only hurting the boy.  And that is Holdens fault he should have let him go out at the start of the season. 

Do t worry about 8/15. That doesn’t mean by a long shot that he’s got the job. 

You have to worry when the insiders know that he’s got the job and all put their money on him bringing him into 1/10 or 1/50, that’s when you need to worry and that’ll happen incredibly quickly. 

So don’t pay any attention to the odds until they get much shorter than that. 

Just now, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think he needed to stay at Newport and he would have developed nicely and we shouldn't rule out that he's not a striker, and we let him play out of midfield or let him go its not the end of the world, but playing him in this team now is only hurting the boy.  And that is Holdens fault he should have let him go out at the start of the season. 

Or, he's not good enough, never was, never will be and should be released. He clearly hasn't had great service from our mids but are we to assume he also didn't have that at Sunderland AND Newport....?

Contrast Eisa. Now he clearly was never going to be a Championship striker. I'm mates with his first coach who was amazed we'd signed him though who thought he was good enough at L2, possibly L1 level. So we wasted time and money on 'one for the future' who was never going to be that. Point being Eisa quickly proved he could score at L2 & L1, moreover was somewhat proficient. Semenyo couldn't do that. 3 L2 goals in 71 (as the teleprinter would highlight that's SEVENTY-ONE) league appearances. With that record why would anybody risk taking him? He can't score, his end product lacking.

City's downfall is this blind acceptance that the academy is a production line of local talent. IT ISN'T. We shouldn't give two hoots as to whether or not players are local, rather whether they can play football or not?

Just now, Monkeh said:

Are you? Whats being friends with some one got to do with the ability to do a job, 

By your logic you would turn down pep because he was mates with ashton

Ashton needs to go ASAP.  In my opinion Appleton would be a disaster.  The club needs to ditch it’s structure.  Get a manager to manage or we’ll be in league 1 before the season ends.  The club is rotten.

Just now, Isawjonshaw said:

Ashton needs to go ASAP.  In my opinion Appleton would be a disaster.  The club needs to ditch it’s structure.  Get a manager to manage or we’ll be in league 1 before the season ends.  The club is rotten.

So your problem is ashton not Appleton,

There for anyone appointed by ashton would be shit?

I think the real positive here is that the new manager will not only have a small squad to build on, no FFP issues and therefore can create a team in their own image, but they also have a lead in time by coming in for the end of this season to prepare for the summer and 2021-22.

The big caveat here is that it’s absolutely crucial that we appoint the right person to have that control.

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do t worry about 8/15. That doesn’t mean by a long shot that he’s got the job. 

You have to worry when the insiders know that he’s got the job and all put their money on him bringing him into 1/10 or 1/50, that’s when you need to worry and that’ll happen incredibly quickly. 

So don’t pay any attention to the odds until they get much shorter than that. 

Hughton was 1/10 at some point so take it with a pinch of salt 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So your problem is ashton not Appleton,

There for anyone appointed by ashton would be shit?

Ashton is the problem.  I’d be mortified  if we went for Appleton after Hughton, Cook etc were being mentioned.  In fact Appleton would be mad to leave his current position to join us.  

4 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Ashton is the problem.  I’d be mortified  if we went for Appleton after Hughton, Cook etc were being mentioned.  In fact Appleton would be mad to leave his current position to join us.  

Appleton is doing a good job, he's done decent jobs at clubs under more difficult circumstances then ours, Portsmouth Oxford and Blackburn were all in far worse positions then us and he did decent jubs there, thats why I'm not against appointing him, he must be a good coach if he can get Lincon to the top of league one,

Is he my first 2nd or third choice god no, but would I give him a chance yes, I separate my hatred for ashton away from the ability to act as a head coach at this football club, anyone appointed deserves a chance we gave holden a chance even though the vast majority knew this would be the outcome,

If Appleton was appointed you need to give him a chance,

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Semenyo really is the least of our problems, not sure what hes done to warrant a place on this thread. Hes a young kid with a lot of potential playing in a crap team with no leadership. Now if you want to talk about our so called senior strikers i will be pleased to endulge you.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Semenyo really is the least of our problems, not sure what hes done to warrant a place on this thread. Hes a young kid with a lot of potential playing in a crap team with no leadership. Now if you want to talk about our so called senior strikers i will be pleased to endulge you.

Nothing to indulge in respect of our so-called senior strikers (sic), but Semenyo ISN'T the least of our problems. He takes a space in the team, thus with him and Wells on the pitch we're already down to 9 players. Forget his age or 'potential' (sic) and focus on the reality he isn't good enough to merit a place in the squad, nor ever will be.

Interesting those on this forum who suggest we should have loaned him out here or there. Who the hell do we think we are implying teams should take him when most probably wouldn't touch him and his dreadful record with a bargepole. He's been developed as a striker yet isn't. Some now suggest he's dropped back to midfield, yet his combativeness and end product suggest he's absolutely not suited to that, ditto any suggestion he move to the back.

I'm not picking on Semenyo, as you say he shouldn't be asked to do what's currently required of him. But so long as fans give him (and others) endless benefit of doubt because he's 'young', 'local', 'from the academy', it'll fall to some of us to remind he and his ilk ARE what presently ails City alongside, naturally, the management. 

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I feel mean for mentioning that Dean let him down by not loaning him out.  Sadly becuase of that he's becoming a bit of a punching bag. 

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Simon I'm with you starting to get fed up of people slagging off are young players, given the right amount of games in there natural positions i see a lot of promise

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

What's wrong with Appleton?

He's done a decent job everywhere he's been 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Appleton

Not so sure about that!

I’m not sure we are currently in the business of “giving a bloke a chance” that has limited managerial experience at Championship level. We are in the business of mitigating the risk of getting relegated by employing the manager that is most likely to pick up a dozen points...

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Nothing to indulge in respect of our so-called senior strikers (sic), but Semenyo ISN'T the least of our problems. He takes a space in the team, thus with him and Wells on the pitch we're already down to 9 players. Forget his age or 'potential' (sic) and focus on the reality he isn't good enough to merit a place in the squad, nor ever will be.

Interesting those on this forum who suggest we should have loaned him out here or there. Who the hell do we think we are implying teams should take him when most probably wouldn't touch him and his dreadful record with a bargepole. He's been developed as a striker yet isn't. Some now suggest he's dropped back to midfield, yet his combativeness and end product suggest he's absolutely not suited to that, ditto any suggestion he move to the back.

I'm not picking on Semenyo, as you say he shouldn't be asked to do what's currently required of him. But so long as fans give him (and others) endless benefit of doubt because he's 'young', 'local', 'from the academy', it'll fall to some of us to remind he and his ilk ARE what presently ails City alongside, naturally, the management. 

semenyo running his heart out every week while wells couldnt care less on 5 times his salary?

Cant agree, weve a long list of senior pros taking massive wages and they are main reason for this predicament, along with whoever sanctioned their signings, and whoever is responsible for maintaining and regaining their fitness.

Before we question the likes of Fam and Wells surely we should question why an established goal scorer at this level is failing to find the net or why Fam, who says he loves the area isn't signing a new contract and is playing like he has no interest.

They hear and read the same stuff we do, and the board/owner/CEO said they were looking at a head coach who could take us that extra step. And like us they were mislead. We have a squad of players who have had no real leadership  and had all their confidence sucked out of them.

We need a manager/ head coach who has a decent record at this level, a man with his own ideas. This isn't Appleton, and with his connection to Ashton will be seen by both players and fans alike as "jobs for the boys" We need direction, we need to challenge the system, we need championship experience.

1 hour ago, big dosser said:

Simon I'm with you starting to get fed up of people slagging off are young players, given the right amount of games in there natural positions i see a lot of promise

How many games before said player does what he’s paid to do , beat a player and score or at least SHOOT 

Archived