IGNORED

Time taken to appoint a new manager

GrahamC

I’ve taken a bit of a break from here recently & don’t intend getting so obsessed that I post every 5 minutes but at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we badly need to speed up the appointment process.

Cardiff sacked Harris & appointed McCarthy until the end of the season the same day & whilst I didn’t expect us to do that, time is not on our side.

It is obvious that Simpson & Downing won’t make any impact & listening to Simpson’s interview yesterday he gave the impression he couldn’t wait to be out of here.

I know that people want Howe, Cook or several others but the situation is so grave we could do much worse than look at any available candidate willing to come in initially for the short term to try to address this slump, someone like Nigel Adkins. I know some will immediately rubbish him, but we are in a terrible mess. Cardiff did this with McCarthy & look how that has gone.

We will be in severe danger of getting relegated if we allow the job to be vacant for more than another week or so.

Once the dust settles we need a massive clear out, not only of the playing side but those like Ashton, his pitiful recruitment team & those on the medical & conditioning side too.

You're right.

They should have at least worked out who they wanted to appoint before they saked Dean Holden, and they probably should've sacked him before they did. That Steve Lansdown can come out and say what he did about the appointment process beggers belief. The new boss should've had his feet under the table Wednesday morning. If yesterday's performance and outpourings from Simpson and Kalas hasn't woken the owner up, then nothing will.

I feel sorry for Simpson and Downing. Clearly they are dead men walking, and it's all a bit undignified end. I don't expect them to last next week honestly. They could probably walk and argue constructive dismissal. I think I'd try that if I was in their position.

It’s madness it wasn’t all managed in the background ready to pull the trigger. 

The pool of candidates prepared to come here will be smaller and less exciting than what we’re all hoping for.

If Appleton is up for coming then get him in sharpish to sort this mess out and steer the club to safety.

At the end of the season get a huge broom and sweep through club taking out all that is wrong from top to bottom and start the process of properly building a club that can compete at the level SL states.

Time is running out on his legacy. 

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

I can't believe they weren't on the phone all last weekend sounding people out. Cook or Pearson should have been appointed last Thursday imo.

Really, I thought by now you would have realised that that’s not “the Bristol City way”. We have our structures and processes that must be followed. Not only do we want a Head Coach (not a manager) we want that person to be a “good human”. Plus that person has to do exactly what Mark Ashton says because he’s the CEO don’t you know.

Oh yes when it comes to a crisis at Bristol City, we don’t panic, we let the situation unfold until the inevitable will happen and then suggest it was a set of unfortunate circumstances beyond our control that got us to this point. Of course the supporters know that this was a mess all of Bristol Sport’s making, but as they aren’t contributing anything other than few of them naively still forking out £10 per match to watch the team get beaten on TV, then what say should they have in this? None. They are only customers after all.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

We did the recruitment process 8 months ago so how hard can it be this time?! 

Yeh but if you **** off people with a cv as long as your arm and appointed a manager who technically was an apprentice MARK ASHTON then are they going to come back 

sack MARK ASHTON he’s toxic 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve taken a bit of a break from here recently & don’t intend getting so obsessed that I post every 5 minutes but at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we badly need to speed up the appointment process.

Cardiff sacked Harris & appointed McCarthy until the end of the season the same day & whilst I didn’t expect us to do that, time is not on our side.

It is obvious that Simpson & Downing won’t make any impact & listening to Simpson’s interview yesterday he gave the impression he couldn’t wait to be out of here.

I know that people want Howe, Cook or several others but the situation is so grave we could do much worse than look at any available candidate willing to come in initially for the short term to try to address this slump, someone like Nigel Adkins. I know some will immediately rubbish him, but we are in a terrible mess. Cardiff did this with McCarthy & look how that has gone.

We will be in severe danger of getting relegated if we allow the job to be vacant for more than another week or so.

Once the dust settles we need a massive clear out, not only of the playing side but those like Ashton, his pitiful recruitment team & those on the medical & conditioning side too.

Cook remains overwhelmingly my first choice - just like GJ and Steve Cotterill at the time everything about him indicates to me he would be the ideal man for the club.

It would go a long way to lifting me out of my BCFC doldrums if he was announced, and I hope City are going all out to get him.

If Cook's not interested I'd take the experience of Adkins over most of the other likely candidates for the short term, but if he wanted a 2.5 year contract minimum rather than come in as a short term firefighter who has to prove he's worth a longer contracts, I'm not so sure about that. 

Either way, SL needs to act very, very quickly.

Absolutely pointless and a total waste of time these 2 being in charge for any more games because tactics, formation, team selection and performance won't change and ultimately we will be dragged further and further into relegation trouble, you might as well have the manager of the Filwood under 10's boys club in charge because he couldn't do any worse

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

It needs to be Paul Cook and it needs to be now.

If the worst happens at least he's tooled up to bring us back up.

Spot on. If however he won’t come here, I’d take any of the experienced names being mentioned that appear capable of dishing out a rocket -Adkins, Pearson etc.

And it has to be in the next week or so! 

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

It needs to be Paul Cook and it needs to be now.

If the worst happens at least he's tooled up to bring us back up.

I just think he took a look at the set up we have in the summer & decided it wasn’t for him.

I cannot see why that has changed now, he left Pompey for Wigan because he wanted to be in the North West, I think if the Blackburn or Preston job came up he’d be all over it.

35 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Yeh but if you **** off people with a cv as long as your arm and appointed a manager who technically was an apprentice MARK ASHTON then are they going to come back 

sack MARK ASHTON he’s toxic 

Dear ProvenExChampionshipManager

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Head Coach of Bristol City Football Club.

Jon (Lansdown) has reviewed your CV - he asks why it wasn't written in comic sans - and has confirmed that your Championship {IF ChampionshipWins = "Y" "winning" "{IF ChampionshipProm = "Y" "promotion" ""}"} experience isn't the right fit for the club at the time. May we also remind you that player recruitment at the Club is part of the charismaic CEO's responsibilities. (He knows the ins and outs of DNA, and can spot an outstanding human at 20 paces.) To help your future employability we suggest you remove that section from future versions of your CV - you're welcome!

I'll buy you an after match beer in the Lansdown Directors Lounge if you're ever, unlikely as it is, down here managing a club that play at our high level.

Good luck in your future endevours.

Yours sincerely

CEO,

Mark Ashton

There’s a strange desire from SL to appoint someone after an exhaustive process.... into a role where, across the industry, people last 12-18 months. It really isn’t such a big deal. Across Europe coaches/managers come in for a year then move on. It’s fine in the structure we claim to have built.  

They say the early bird catches the worm. Someone should be in place now, it's not like we didn't see this coming.

Until last summer, I thought we had a team of people looking at everything, new players/managers/coaches. We clearly weren't ready in the summer and can't afford the kind of analysis paralysis that followed this time around.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thank god you started this thread . I wouldn’t of known we were in the shit otherwise . I would of blindly read the other 15 threads in needing a new manager otherwise . Cheers drive 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's like every decision takes the board by surprise There was clearly no pre-planning of what do when Holden goes, just like there was none when Johnson went.

Difference is, if they take 6 weeks this time, we'll be relegated

In total agreement R-R, this calls for action NOW or judging by our recent play, the trapdoor is wide open within the next month.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

We did the recruitment process 8 months ago so how hard can it be this time?! 

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but listening to SL’s latest interviews it seems no lessons have been learnt from the last process. Shambles.

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's like every decision takes the board by surprise There was clearly no pre-planning of what do when Holden goes, just like there was none when Johnson went.

Difference is, if they take 6 weeks this time, we'll be relegated

Yep, any prospective candidate is going to look at our board of ditherers and think 'are this lot going to be worth the effort'. 

My word doesn't it reflect badly on them and the club.

19 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

About right , lead from the front why don’t you

A748ED9D-43C1-487C-9C2B-72CC9B9F2402.jpeg

You'd hope that that was just an unfortunate shot taken at the wrong time, and that he was just yawning. Either that or just gasping at how horrible we look on the pitch.

The worrying thing is, he's part responsible for putting that shambles out there!!

I know we can't take 6 weeks to make an appointment but we still need to accept that if we want a quality manager then it's going to require discussions at length. If I was a manager coming here I'd want guarantees that I'm picking the players we sign, not giving a list to MA and hoping for the best. I'd also want clarification on what is causing so many injuries and what has happened to see us go from play offs to relegation form. I'd also be looking at the squad on a personal level, who are the influential players in the changing room, how do I put my stamp of authority in place of I take up the position. 

I'm just a fan like any other, if I'm thinking this deep about a job that I'm not even going for then surely a competent manager will be looking at this and far more before he takes on the job. SL needs to start negotiating rather than demanding everything he wants and realise he needs someone who will stand up to him when it's needed. 

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, any prospective candidate is going to look at our board of ditherers and think 'are this lot going to be worth the effort'. 

My word doesn't it reflect badly on them and the club.

Theoretically we should be a good prospect.  

Decent facilities; billionaire owner; largest club in the West Country, that untapped market of support that we know will rise with success.

But that state of the management team and the utter shambles on the pitch and off, would put some off. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

And also without stating the blindingly obvious if you and I can see it surely those in a position to do something will be able to, but unless there is a sea change at the club expect it to take weeks by which time as you say it might be too late to save us. I'm not confident are you?

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

You're right.

They should have at least worked out who they wanted to appoint before they saked Dean Holden, and they probably should've sacked him before they did. That Steve Lansdown can come out and say what he did about the appointment process beggers belief. The new boss should've had his feet under the table Wednesday morning. If yesterday's performance and outpourings from Simpson and Kalas hasn't woken the owner up, then nothing will.

I feel sorry for Simpson and Downing. Clearly they are dead men walking, and it's all a bit undignified end. I don't expect them to last next week honestly. They could probably walk and argue constructive dismissal. I think I'd try that if I was in their position.

Yep, they should’ve been ready to leap into action.  Even the point Steve went on 20Man on Monday should’ve been the trigger to MA to “start effin lining up replacements”, if not before.  There was no “vote of confidence”, there was no need for one, as SL knew he’d have to backtrack at some point, so why make himself look stupid.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I just think he took a look at the set up we have in the summer & decided it wasn’t for him.

I cannot see why that has changed now, he left Pompey for Wigan because he wanted to be in the North West, I think if the Blackburn or Preston job came up he’d be all over it.

He was interviewed recently and said being in the South wasn’t the issue.  In fact there are a few whispers that Pompey are lining him up again if there remove (their) Jackett.

23 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

About right , lead from the front why don’t you

A748ED9D-43C1-487C-9C2B-72CC9B9F2402.jpeg

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Just now, Taz said:

You'd hope that that was just an unfortunate shot taken at the wrong time, and that he was just yawning. Either that or just gasping at how horrible we look on the pitch.

The worrying thing is, he's part responsible for putting that shambles out there!!

The amazing thing is that a micro-second after they’d cut away from him and cut back to him, he was in the technical area giving instructions.  It was like the shopkeeper spearing from nowhere in Mr Benn.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know we can't take 6 weeks to make an appointment but we still need to accept that if we want a quality manager then it's going to require discussions at length. If I was a manager coming here I'd want guarantees that I'm picking the players we sign, not giving a list to MA and hoping for the best. I'd also want clarification on what is causing so many injuries and what has happened to see us go from play offs to relegation form. I'd also be looking at the squad on a personal level, who are the influential players in the changing room, how do I put my stamp of authority in place of I take up the position. 

I'm just a fan like any other, if I'm thinking this deep about a job that I'm not even going for then surely a competent manager will be looking at this and far more before he takes on the job. SL needs to start negotiating rather than demanding everything he wants and realise he needs someone who will stand up to him when it's needed. 

If you were interested, you’d have started prepping on Tuesday night.  If you’re Paul Cook, or someone who’s recently managed at this level, you’d be ahead of the game.

We need to act now employ a manager who can motivate and bring confidence back someone they can respect at this point it should not be about cost it’s about the future of city , if we get relegated and we are going that way ! the club will lose millions in revenue from TV , Sponsorship , Crowds when allowed back , and sales, also the wages we are paying . So time is to act now !

Archived