IGNORED

Time taken to appoint a new manager

GrahamC

Paul cook is keen as mustard to come here! He would HVe taken the the Cardiff and Wednesday jobs but they were only offering until end of season. Lansdown needs to get him in this week and then sack Ashton and his hangers on in the summer. Blank canvas. I think I’d take relegation tbh if it meant we get rid of Ashton!

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve taken a bit of a break from here recently & don’t intend getting so obsessed that I post every 5 minutes but at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we badly need to speed up the appointment process.

Cardiff sacked Harris & appointed McCarthy until the end of the season the same day & whilst I didn’t expect us to do that, time is not on our side.

It is obvious that Simpson & Downing won’t make any impact & listening to Simpson’s interview yesterday he gave the impression he couldn’t wait to be out of here.

I know that people want Howe, Cook or several others but the situation is so grave we could do much worse than look at any available candidate willing to come in initially for the short term to try to address this slump, someone like Nigel Adkins. I know some will immediately rubbish him, but we are in a terrible mess. Cardiff did this with McCarthy & look how that has gone.

We will be in severe danger of getting relegated if we allow the job to be vacant for more than another week or so.

Once the dust settles we need a massive clear out, not only of the playing side but those like Ashton, his pitiful recruitment team & those on the medical & conditioning side too.

Not sure if it's truth or myth but Adkins was a physio so might be a good person to have in to suss out what's happening with injuries.  If not him then get the Rugby team's Doctor/ physio team to look at it.  Make use of the sporting organisation he's created by using excellence in one side to influence another side.  

The players are mentally shot and the guy(s) tasked with motivating them has asked to be replaced. With a clear head and without emotion, we will almost certainly lose every game he/they take charge of.

The situation is untenable. I have no idea, clearly, but I suspect Simpson and Downing have been told they’ll be off and have been asked to be as professional as possible.

Id be astonished if someone wasn't in place for QPR, possibly sooner.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Cook remains overwhelmingly my first choice - just like GJ and Steve Cotterill at the time everything about him indicates to me he would be the ideal man for the club.

It would go a long way to lifting me out of my BCFC doldrums if he was announced, and I hope City are going all out to get him.

If Cook's not interested I'd take the experience of Adkins over most of the other likely candidates for the short term, but if he wanted a 2.5 year contract minimum rather than come in as a short term firefighter who has to prove he's worth a longer contracts, I'm not so sure about that. 

Either way, SL needs to act very, very quickly.

Personally getting frustrated with the love in for Adkins on here. Serious question why is he better / more experienced than other candidates.

From what I see he had 2 good seasons at Southampton and bombed at Sheff Utd, Reading and Hull. What is this experience you speak of ?

Totally agree about Cook by the way. They've had 8 days (since Watford) to sound him out...just get on and appoint him, give him whatever he wants and move this club forwards again.

12 minutes ago, S_C said:

The players are mentally shot and the guy(s) tasked with motivating them has asked to be replaced. With a clear head and without emotion, we will almost certainly lose every game he/they take charge of.

The situation is untenable. I have no idea, clearly, but I suspect Simpson and Downing have been told they’ll be off and have been asked to be as professional as possible.

Id be astonished if someone wasn't in place for QPR, possibly sooner.

Any longer than QPR and it is a disaster. I really hope yesterday has shown the board that they need to do all they can to get someone in by the end of this week. 

8 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Take all responsibility away from Ashton and the boy first. Permanently.

Next, ask Tins and Murray to look through the candidates and get their feedback. 

Speak to a shortlist of two or three and make the final decision.

Just an idea. 

Who will do the interviews? Jon is in Bermuda. Steve is in Guernsey.  Please not just MA. Zoom meetings miss that face to face feel that is so important.  I fear we will all be disappointed at the outcome. 

30 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Personally getting frustrated with the love in for Adkins on here. Serious question why is he better / more experienced than other candidates.

From what I see he had 2 good seasons at Southampton and bombed at Sheff Utd, Reading and Hull. What is this experience you speak of ?

Totally agree about Cook by the way. They've had 8 days (since Watford) to sound him out...just get on and appoint him, give him whatever he wants and move this club forwards again.

I didn't know there was a love in with Adkins, I was merely replying to him being mentioned by the OP.

Adkins isn't one I'd thought much about, but he is an experienced manager (55) with a PL promotion on his CV.  

I've made it very clear on the forum that I want Cook, so anyone else mentioned so far would be disappointing afaic.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I didn't know there was a love in with Adkins, I was merely replying to him being mentioned by the OP.

Adkins isn't one I'd thought much about, but he is an experienced manager (55) with a PL promotion on his CV.  

I've made it very clear on the forum that I want Cook, so anyone else mentioned so far would be disappointing afaic.

Apologies, not having a pop at you just that his name keeps being bandied around on various threads. Totally agree, get COOK in NOW.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve taken a bit of a break from here recently & don’t intend getting so obsessed that I post every 5 minutes but at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we badly need to speed up the appointment process.

Cardiff sacked Harris & appointed McCarthy until the end of the season the same day & whilst I didn’t expect us to do that, time is not on our side.

It is obvious that Simpson & Downing won’t make any impact & listening to Simpson’s interview yesterday he gave the impression he couldn’t wait to be out of here.

I know that people want Howe, Cook or several others but the situation is so grave we could do much worse than look at any available candidate willing to come in initially for the short term to try to address this slump, someone like Nigel Adkins. I know some will immediately rubbish him, but we are in a terrible mess. Cardiff did this with McCarthy & look how that has gone.

We will be in severe danger of getting relegated if we allow the job to be vacant for more than another week or so.

Once the dust settles we need a massive clear out, not only of the playing side but those like Ashton, his pitiful recruitment team & those on the medical & conditioning side too.

Couldn't agree more Graham. 

Steve Lansdown has been running this club for what - 20 years? He must know that football is a talent business - like showbiz, or telly, or music. In this world you can't always book the acts you want, or the creative staff you want, they're in demand. You very often have to make do with what's available, or you have to accept that you can't get your dream booking this year and might have to wait. You have a wish list. He must surely have his wish lists, the potential managers he'd one day consider appointing?

Any managerial appointment is a risk...they'll fail, or they'll be poached by someone else. It seems to me inconceivable that no one at the club prepares for managers leaving. LJ was on notice for months, Holden was on a rolling contract. Wherever possible you let these people leave at a time of your choosing...and the time you choose is the point at which you have their successor as good as lined up...surely? 

5 hours ago, marmite said:

Who will do the interviews? Jon is in Bermuda. Steve is in Guernsey.  Please not just MA. Zoom meetings miss that face to face feel that is so important.  I fear we will all be disappointed at the outcome. 

Well we certainly will if the same people as last time are making this appointment Marmite. 

By the way - i think you're very tasty indeed.

Archived