IGNORED

The Book of Pemberton, Verse 1, Chapter 1:

The Original OTIB

Don't get beat. That's it, The End. Anything else is a bonus. Back in January 2016, Boro were flying high, we, staring down the barrel. You simply can't set up to play your way out of trouble when you have no form and can't string any passes together. 4-5-1 (as was then)? Sort of, 4, 1, 4, 1  now? (sort of).

-----------Bentley----------------

Vyner - Mariappa - Kalas - Moore

-----------NAGY-----------------

Hunt - Massengo - Palmer - Towler

-----------WELLS-----------------

Far from perfect, but then so are we. Give Hunt "a day off" (sort of) and give him room to roam. Don't risk Towler at the back but put him in for balance and bit more cover (see Hunt) and it seem the lad likes a tacke + (UTTERLY romantic/subjective) he's "one of us" and bl**dy welll "gets it" (+ see Jan 2016, Bryan in front of Williams). If Nagy does not start I have no idea what our so-called coaches are seeing. Let's have players who a) can pass to feet and b) want the damn thing (AN, HNM, KP). We need that link to midfield. We need a spine in the team. We need energy (AN + HNM). As for Wells? Go on then son, do f-all but score, that's your job, we're calling your bluff. Centre circle or final third. Do not go anywhere else. Fam? Forget it, save for last ditch 10/15 as extra CB. 

Interesting selection. Certainly agree we need a link to midfield and a proper spine - we're sunk without that. We have absolutely no platform in midfield or up front to build possession or attacks. It's appalling. 

What's more, the side Pemberton put out in 2016 was more of a team than the current shower of individuals. That's our first problem, right there.

O'Donnell - Ayling - Flint - Baker - Williams - Burns - Smith - Pack - Bryan - Reid - Kodjia.

I'd swap that team for the current one right now if I could. 

It helped of course that 8 of them had won a league championship and Cup double together. The 3 subs who came on had too. That's a bond those players will have forever - what's bonding the current lot? Nothing as far as I can see.

We won't get out of the current mess unless we can get a grip of games in midfield (yesterday was shocking in that respect and has been for too long). That requires players who have, what I call, personality, i.e. Character. Balls. Composure under pressure. Big game temperament. Not afraid to get on the ball and play. 

Pack and Smith had that in spades. Not long after, we brought in Tomlin. Now, for all his faults, here was a player who demanded the ball all the time because he had confidence and belief in his own ability. He was a knob but precisely the type of player we're missing at the moment - Palmer is similar but doesn't have Tomlin's strut, confidence, arrogance even. Probably makes a Palmer a nicer person, but right now it's nastiness we need not niceness. 

Pack - Smith - Brownhill - Tomlin were players who could get a grip on games from central areas. And none of those players have been replaced. That area of the team has got weaker and weaker (while the wages have got higher and higher!). And that spells disaster. 

Bentley - Kalas - Baker (or Mawson) is a good start to our spine but after that we've got nothing. We've no Pack Smith Brownhill to protect the defence or build attacks. (Joe Williams is a massive loss here - the only current midfielder comparable to Pack and Smith in terms of vital character.) Then there's no Wilbraham - Reid - Tomlin to hold the ball or even a Kodjia to make intelligent runs in behind.

I like your idea of Hunt in front of Vyner - solid, square pegs in square holes, which is always a good start. Vyner - a defender in defence! And Hunt in a position that plays to his strengths further up the pitch.

Personally I wouldn't have Moore within one million miles of my team. Sessegnon can play Left Back for me (the failure to get a loan in January for this position was a dereliction of duty for which someone needs to be hung, drawn and quartered).

Imo Towler isn't ready and playing him, as well as Hunt, high up the pitch means there isn't enough creativity or natural attacking movement (and how many positions that he's never played before are we actually going to stick Towler in!!!). Not sure who I'd play instead though, of the ones who are fit!! Paterson and Palmer in the same side??? Not sure about that.

Perhaps Walsh will finally be fit and ride to our rescue at the eleventh hour?!  

2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Don't get beat. That's it, The End. Anything else is a bonus. Back in January 2016, Boro were flying high, we, staring down the barrel. You simply can't set up to play your way out of trouble when you have no form and can't string any passes together. 4-5-1 (as was then)? Sort of, 4, 1, 4, 1  now? (sort of).

-----------Bentley----------------

Vyner - Mariappa - Kalas - Moore

-----------NAGY-----------------

Hunt - Massengo - Palmer - Towler

-----------WELLS-----------------

Far from perfect, but then so are we. Give Hunt "a day off" (sort of) and give him room to roam. Don't risk Towler at the back but put him in for balance and bit more cover (see Hunt) and it seem the lad likes a tacke + (UTTERLY romantic/subjective) he's "one of us" and bl**dy welll "gets it" (+ see Jan 2016, Bryan in front of Williams). If Nagy does not start I have no idea what our so-called coaches are seeing. Let's have players who a) can pass to feet and b) want the damn thing (AN, HNM, KP). We need that link to midfield. We need a spine in the team. We need energy (AN + HNM). As for Wells? Go on then son, do f-all but score, that's your job, we're calling your bluff. Centre circle or final third. Do not go anywhere else. Fam? Forget it, save for last ditch 10/15 as extra CB. 

I like this (ran out of likes!)....

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Interesting selection. Certainly agree we need a link to midfield and a proper spine - we're sunk without that. We have absolutely no platform in midfield or up front to build possession or attacks. It's appalling. 

What's more, the side Pemberton put out in 2016 was more of a team than the current shower of individuals. That's our first problem, right there.

O'Donnell - Ayling - Flint - Baker - Williams - Burns - Smith - Pack - Bryan - Reid - Kodjia.

It helped of course that 8 of them had won a league championship and Cup double together. The 3 subs who came on had too. That's a bond those players will have forever - what's bonding the current lot? Nothing as far as I can see.

We won't get out of the current mess unless we can get a grip of games in midfield (yesterday was shocking in that respect and has been for too long). That requires players who have, what I call, personality, i.e. Character. Balls. Composure under pressure. Big game temperament. Not afraid to get on the ball and play. 

Pack and Smith had that in spades. Not long after, we brought in Tomlin. Now, for all his faults, here was a player who demanded the ball all the time because he had confidence and belief in his own ability. He was a knob but precisely the type of player we're missing at the moment - Palmer is similar but doesn't have Tomlin's strut, confidence, arrogance even. Probably makes a Palmer a nicer person, but right now it's nastiness we need not niceness. 

Pack - Smith - Brownhill - Tomlin were players who could get a grip on games from central areas. And none of those players have been replaced. That area of the team has got weaker and weaker (while the wages have got higher and higher!). And that spells disaster. 

Bentley - Kalas - Baker (or Mawson) is a good start to our spine but after that we've got nothing. We've no Pack Smith Brownhill to protect the defence or build attacks. (Joe Williams is a massive loss here - the only current midfielder comparable to Pack and Smith in terms of vital character.) Then there's no Wilbraham - Reid - Tomlin to hold the ball or even a Kodjia to make intelligent runs in behind.

I like your idea of Hunt in front of Vyner - solid, square pegs in square holes, which is always a good start. Vyner - a defender in defence! And Hunt in a position that plays to his strengths further up the pitch.

Personally I wouldn't have Moore within one million miles of my team. Sessegnon can play Left Back for me (the failure to get a loan in January for this position was a dereliction of duty for which someone needs to be hung, drawn and quartered).

Imo Towler isn't ready and playing him, as well as Hunt, high up the pitch means there isn't enough creativity or natural attacking movement (and how many positions that he's never played before are we actually going to stick Towler in!!!). Not sure who I'd play instead though, of the ones who are fit!! Paterson and Palmer in the same side??? Not sure about that.

Indeed, but there is no panacea to be had here, there are limited options. Moore is a liability centrally and when asked to be an ersatz baller. Let the lad keep it agricultural (for he is a unit of sorts) and give the ball to those that can play. Hoof it, clear it, row z it but don't bring it.  As JP said after the game: "we ... tried to keep things as simple as possible".

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

o'donnell god no, awful keeper Bentley is 100 times the player

Ayling Yes

Flint no Kalas is just a much better defender

Baker Yes quality player when fit

Williams no we seen williams before he is not good enough

Burns no league 2 at best

Smith Yes a leader

Pack yes a good midfielder we miss

Bryan yes quality okayer

Reid no, one season wonder

Kodja no injury prone

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Ayling Yes

Smith Yes a leader

Bryan yes quality okayer

Kodja no injury prone

You've missed my point completely. Why was the word team in italics in my post????

The point was about TEAM  not individuals. Anybody can see Bentley is better than O'Donnell !!!!

As a TEAM I would take 2016 over today's because we need a TEAM to get out of the current mess, not individuals and the current lot are a rabble. 

34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Ayling Yes

Smith Yes a leader

Bryan yes quality okayer

Kodja no injury prone

Is this the same Reid that has played 50 games in the Premier league including a few man of the match displays this season? 
Id have him back in a heartbeat 

We'll get outmanouvered in central areas, Palmer as that third man will increase the risk of that. Having said that, Middlesbrough aren't necessarily a tiki taka side.

A Vyner-Hunt right side could be secure. Is a bit like when we had Magnússon-Bryan on the left in 2017/18.

Not so sure about a Moore-Towler left side! I'd be targetting that and Palmer's weak points were I Warnock.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We'll get outmanouvered in central areas, Palmer as that third man will increase the risk of that. Having said that, Middlesbrough aren't necessarily a tiki taka side.

A Vyner-Hunt right side could be secure. Is a bit like when we had Magnússon-Bryan on the left in 2017/18.

Not so sure about a Moore-Towler left side! I'd be targetting that and Palmer's weak points were I Warnock.

Tiki taka - the only Greek restaurant in Middlesbrough? Certainly nothing to do with Warnock-ball!

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Then who out left?

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Then who out left?

The left side is a real problem. I've read on here though that Towler isn't even a natural LB.

If that's true, Maybe. Sessegnon LB, Paterson as a narrower LM. NOT a winger, he's not a winger.

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Then whom if not he?

One of Bakinson or Lansbury?

I like the idea of Vyner-Hunt though, Vyner has played as an RB before and maybe giving Hunt a bit more license higher up might help him and us.

Mariappa at CB is okay, but if we play higher up the pitch I anticipate his age and agility as an area that can be exploitable too.

Paterson is not fit and does not look that keen on a fight. I was not advocating Towler as LB. He is left footed hence balance. He did not look at all bothered by playing the Blades hence has something about him and his passing looked decent enough to me (see 48% thread). Narrow is not good against a Boro team that favour crosses. We need to stop the supply and plug the gaps. Primary point being not getting beaten first and foremost. At least Palmer showed some intent. Set up like this it's about through balls to Wells not bombing on down the wings. Lansbury is not up to it yet, fitness nor otherwise. Maybe a late cameo, that's it. 

15 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Paterson is not fit and does not look that keen on a fight. I was not advocating Towler as LB. He is left footed hence balance. He did not look at all bothered by playing the Blades hence has something about him and his passing looked decent enough to me (see 48% thread). Narrow is not good against a Boro team that favour crosses. We need to stop the supply and plug the gaps. Primary point being not getting beaten first and foremost. At least Palmer showed some intent. Set up like this it's about through balls to Wells not bombing on down the wings. Lansbury is not up to it yet, fitness nor otherwise. Maybe a late cameo, that's it. 

An alternative would be to move Sessegnon up to Left Midfield. We lack pace and he seems to have plenty of it and seems decent enough with both feet.

Isn't the old adage 'if you can't win a game then don't lose it'..?  Through the spine of the team we need warriors and winners.  Bentley has been superb, Tomas needs to step out of his shell and 'lead' (he's an international FFS!), Tyreeq or Adam in midfield, Nahki up top but needs service (Fam has been dire last few games). For anyone old enough to remember the Bradford Littlewoods Cup away game - not really given a chance but early goal then scrapped our way through it, led from the front by JJ.  We need that mentality on not getting beat, desire, some passion.....some inner drive from the players that says 'we want this, we're staying in this division'.....relegation is unthinkable and totally unacceptable for the opportunities that this club has and the players that sign here. With someone like NP leading from the bench....the team can only be inspired to perform better.

Archived