IGNORED

Howe or Now? (Not really sure how to shoehorn in a brown cow)

LondonBristolian

I know newspapers are not always reliable but I feel this story illustrates one of the big dilemmas facing the club:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/crystal-palace-roy-hodgson-shortlist-23538214?fbclid=IwAR0SH3uRxqXi-MDkkSQK1VqQE5Xa4PnwQeFqEpzfqwu69-sOj0XBCAZqPxs

Howe is allegedly on Palace’s three man shortlist to replace Hodgson in the summer.

If, hypothetically, Howe was interested but wanted to know if the Palace job was going to be offered to him before committing, would you wait until the summer for arguably the best option out there - appointing an interim in the meantime or take someone ready to commit now? 

I do worry that one of the biggest challenges we may face in recruiting our new manager is that some of the most appealing options will have an eye on what else is coming up...

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Howe is too big for us. No chance of him coming here 

Not so sure on that. I don’t think it likely but I don’t think it impossible. Managers in demand change frequently. It is getting on for a year since he left Bournemouth and he took a fairly expensively assembled team down. Other managers such as Steve Cooper are starting to become the next in demand English manager Ana there is no guarantee premier league clubs are going to come calling.

Meanwhile all three relegated clubs are doing relatively well and, Bournemouth aside, it may be no plum Championship jobs come up for a few months or, if they do, Howe will be the man they choose.

If he is not careful he could become another Curbishley - perceived as too big for the clubs that want him and overlooked by the type of jobs his reputation would suggest...

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not so sure on that. I don’t think it likely but I don’t think it impossible. Managers in demand change frequently. It is getting on for a year since he left Bournemouth and he took a fairly expensively assembled team down. Other managers such as Steve Cooper are starting to become the next in demand English manager Ana there is no guarantee premier league clubs are going to come calling.

Meanwhile all three relegated clubs are doing relatively well and, Bournemouth aside, it may be no plum Championship jobs come up for a few months or, if they do, Howe will be the man they choose.

If he is not careful he could become another Curbishley - perceived as too big for the clubs that want him and overlooked by the type of jobs his reputation would suggest...

Jobs come up all the time such is the frequency of sackings.  In the next six months there will be other options to Palace open to him. 

I would love Howe to come here. Just can’t see it 

Archived