IGNORED

lee johnson eight defeats

77 punk

5 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

when lee johnson lost eight league games on the trot is that the worst run in citys history, this week could see us equal that record.

Yes, something he said he feels ashamed of at the time.  I recently looked back to double check my memory about the score lines & my memory was correct, we only ever lost by one goal in each game. Never got a drubbing like recently. COYR

2016/17

City 0-1 Brentford, Huddersfield 2-1 City, City 1-2 Preston, Wolves 3-2 City, Ipswich 2-1 City, City 2-3 Reading, City 2-3 Cardiff, Forest 1-0 City. 

In this time we played in the FA Cup against Fleetwood and drew 0-0 at home and won 1-0 away.

Derby 1-0 City, Brentford 3-2 City, City 0-2 Cardiff, Sheff Utd 1-0 City (Fa cup), Watford 6-0 City, City 0-2 Reading, City 0-1 Barnsley.

Coupled with the fact Huddersfield before the Derby match absolutely battered us for about 65 minutes and could easily have lost 6-2, this run has been worse. All of those performances I would say were worse than what I saw under LJ's run. The results show in 16/17 we got goals, but poor defensively. Right now we are poor defensively and are not scoring. 

I also remember under that run with LJ we went ahead in a lot of games and you could see the potential in players to improve. Right now, our players are getting worse and performances are getting worse.

10 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yes, something he said he feels ashamed of at the time.  I recently looked back to double check my memory about the score lines & my memory was correct, we only ever lost by one goal in each game. Never got a drubbing like recently. COYR

Yeah - my memory of that run is there were several games where we were ahead and conceded late (e.g. Cardiff at home) or score a couple and lost or were frustratingly close to getting something.

The away game at Forest is one of my worst Bristol City memories - freezing day and a dreadful performance - but I don’t think we were anywhere near as bereft of creativity as we are now.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yeah - my memory of that run is there were several games where we were ahead and conceded late (e.g. Cardiff at home) or score a couple and lost or were frustratingly close to getting something.

The away game at Forest is one of my worst Bristol City memories - freezing day and a dreadful performance - but I don’t think we were anywhere near as bereft of creativity as we are now.

Yeah, exactly how I remembered it. We needed something to just go in our favour. Never felt like the players weren’t trying or he had lost the changing rooms to coin a phrase. In fact I never got that impression at any point during his tenure. COYR

That run was so much better than this. At least in that run we were shooting, scoring, creating. Honestly it's worth going back and watching some of the highlights, looking at some of the stats. We were losing, but we weren't a bad team. Hence why he kept his job and we recovered. Right now we're losing, and we're a bad team. On current form and with current playstyle and performance there is no real end in sight for this run.

33 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

when lee johnson lost eight league games on the trot is that the worst run in citys history, this week could see us equal that record.

Lee Johnson set the rot, Dean Holden continued the rot, the chuckle brothers will complete the rot. 

Naive management from the very top. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Anyone know what our record is for the most time without scoring?

Hmm I do remember under Millen a spell during 2010/11 where we didn't score for 5 games in a row, I think the results went like this..
City 0-3 Sheffield Wednesday (FA Cup)
City 0-4 Middlesbrough
Palace 0-0 City
Forest 1-0 City
City 0-2 Swansea

We then proceeded to thump Preston at Deepdale 4-0. (Of all teams to win against) , and went on a decent-ish return of goals from then on. I do remember statistics back then being thrown about with regards how long it has been since we scored a goal.

34 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I really don't know what we were all complaining about at the time? How clueless we are a lot of the time (but Ashtonout! nevertheless) ......

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

bristol live site, says 7hrs so far this time no clue if thats a record though. Also 4/6/8/10/12 game form tables show us rock bottom?

Are some trying to get solace because this run could make LJ's bad run look better.

Defeats are defeats and to hell with whether we played ok or scored goals. Both runs are unwanted and soul destroying for City fans. The only difference with this one is that we are staring at a relegation battle with a squad of players who, with one or two exceptions, seem to be unaware, incapable, couldn't give a toss about whether we go down or not. Not a leader in the pack, no guts for a fight to stay up and nobody in the Ashton Gate non playing staff with any clue how to change it.

37 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yeah, exactly how I remembered it. We needed something to just go in our favour. Never felt like the players weren’t trying or he had lost the changing rooms to coin a phrase. In fact I never got that impression at any point during his tenure. COYR

Have you forgotten the 5-0 (could have been 10) humiliation at PNE?

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Are some trying to get solace because this run could make LJ's bad run look better.

Defeats are defeats and to hell with whether we played ok or scored goals. Both runs are unwanted and soul destroying for City fans. The only difference with this one is that we are staring at a relegation battle with a squad of players who, with one or two exceptions, seem to be unaware, incapable, couldn't give a toss about whether we go down or not. Not a leader in the pack, no guts for a fight to stay up and nobody in the Ashton Gate non playing staff with any clue how to change it.

I don't think that's what anyone is doing. LJ's 8 game losing run was awful and I wanted him sacked. I just fear this is even worse. 

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Have you forgotten the 5-0 (could have been 10) humiliation at PNE?

Difference is that was the catalyst for lancing the boil that was Lee Tomlin and we then went on a five game unbeaten run. There was one problem, it got sorted.

Whereas the 6-0 thumping at Watford was simply the catalyst for two even more mind-numbingly inept home performances and we appear to have no clue at all what to do about it.

Very different. 

The fact is that some losing runs are worse than others. All are bad, but some are less bad than the worst ones.

My memory tells me that the LJ run wasn't so bad in terms of performances, and I wanted to see if the data supports that. So I've just spent 20 minutes of Sunday afternoon knocking up the numbers to compare the two runs. For this current one I lumped in the Sheff Utd game so that we are comparing 8 games with 7. I didn't lump in the Fleetwood cup games from LJ's run though - maybe I should have done.

Anyway, headlines are that our average game during the LJ run would see us lose 2-1. In doing so we'd take 13 shots, about 4 of which would be on target. We'd allow 12 shots, 5 of which might force Frankie into a save.

Currently our average game sees us lose 3-0 (cheers Watford for skewing that). Playing the way we currently do, against an average opponent, we should expect to take 5 shots, get 1 or maybe 2 of those on target, and we'll see the opposition take 14 against us, forcing Bentley to attempt about 5 saves.

The disparity in attacking threat is stark, and I know reinforces what we are all currently watching. But the data shows that in the midst of that LJ run we were still dangerous going forward. Only twice did we fail to score, compared to 6 of the last seven without notching. To average just 5 shots per game is horrendous. We have taken 4, 7, 7, 7, 4, 5, 1 shots in those 7 games, so it's a fairly consistent data set (although the 1 does slightly skew it down). 

Defensively the two runs are similar in terms of shots allowed, slightly worse this time, but not hugely so. I'm not sure why we are currently shipping nearly 50% more goals per game than we did under LJ, perhaps more errors, or allowing better opportunities to our opposition. It's hard to tell from the limited data.

I'd have liked to compare xG as a refinement of raw shot data, however it's pretty hard to find good xG data for 2016 and so this isn't really feasible. All I can say is that right now we are getting exactly what xG thinks we should be getting, and exactly what it's been pointing at for months now.

image.png.92b46140e41c220b6a4c30e941897683.png

46 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Difference is that was the catalyst for lancing the boil that was Lee Tomlin and we then went on a five game unbeaten run. There was one problem, it got sorted.

Whereas the 6-0 thumping at Watford was simply the catalyst for two even more mind-numbingly inept home performances and we appear to have no clue at all what to do about it.

Very different. 

Yep. The 5-0 defeat to Preston was quickly followed up by a vital win against Wolves in a game where we looked far better.

I was hoping to see a similar reaction from our players against Reading last week....fat ******* chance!

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The fact is that some losing runs are worse than others. All are bad, but some are less bad than the worst ones.

My memory tells me that the LJ run wasn't so bad in terms of performances, and I wanted to see if the data supports that. So I've just spent 20 minutes of Sunday afternoon knocking up the numbers to compare the two runs. For this current one I lumped in the Sheff Utd game so that we are comparing 8 games with 7. I didn't lump in the Fleetwood cup games from LJ's run though - maybe I should have done.

Anyway, headlines are that our average game during the LJ run would see us lose 2-1. In doing so we'd take 13 shots, about 4 of which would be on target. We'd allow 12 shots, 5 of which might force Frankie into a save.

Currently our average game sees us lose 3-0 (cheers Watford for skewing that). Playing the way we currently do, against an average opponent, we should expect to take 5 shots, get 1 or maybe 2 of those on target, and we'll see the opposition take 14 against us, forcing Bentley to attempt about 5 saves.

The disparity in attacking threat is stark, and I know reinforces what we are all currently watching. But the data shows that in the midst of that LJ run we were still dangerous going forward. Only twice did we fail to score, compared to 6 of the last seven without notching. To average just 5 shots per game is horrendous. We have taken 4, 7, 7, 7, 4, 5, 1 shots in those 7 games, so it's a fairly consistent data set (although the 1 does slightly skew it down). 

Defensively the two runs are similar in terms of shots allowed, slightly worse this time, but not hugely so. I'm not sure why we are currently shipping nearly 50% more goals per game than we did under LJ, perhaps more errors, or allowing better opportunities to our opposition. It's hard to tell from the limited data.

I'd have liked to compare xG as a refinement of raw shot data, however it's pretty hard to find good xG data for 2016 and so this isn't really feasible. All I can say is that right now we are getting exactly what xG thinks we should be getting, and exactly what it's been pointing at for months now.

image.png.92b46140e41c220b6a4c30e941897683.png

I’d suggest it’s our supposed 7-0 loss to Sheff Utd that’s really skewing it...! ;) Something going on with the home/away totals too? (It was a Sunday, I’m just being an arse, you’re forgiven!)

Definitely helps illustrate the difference in attacking intent, though - those Reading & Cardiff games especially I remember being quite comfortably in control and just panicking in the last 10-15mins.

I mean, 3x as many shots overall is quite staggering, especially when our fewest then is equal to our most now... and we managed nearly two thirds of our total now just in one match. No wonder I remember that period at least being more fun.

And don’t worry @cidered abroad, I’m finding no solace in our current form being worse than our worst run of defeats...!

The players have looked jaded and uninterested, the head coach was a dead man walking, the Chairman thousands of miles away, the medics doing more damage often than the opposition, and the final straw a coach on the bench falling asleep -  ever Ithink have we been so out for the count.

Come on Nige drag this whole bunch up by their bootstraps.  Long way to go but we could start by practising throw ins and free kicks, and learning how to defend against set pieces.  Plenty to work on.  Oh, and please tell Semenyo as a forward he is there to put the ball in the net - suggest a two hour daily session after the rest have gone home with Scotty.

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The players have looked jaded and uninterested, the head coach was a dead man walking, the Chairman thousands of miles away, the medics doing more damage often than the opposition, and the final straw a coach on the bench falling asleep -  ever Ithink have we been so out for the count.

Come on Nige drag this whole bunch up by their bootstraps.  Long way to go but we could start by practising throw ins and free kicks, and learning how to defend against set pieces.  Plenty to work on.  Oh, and please tell Semenyo as a forward he is there to put the ball in the net - suggest a two hour daily session after the rest have gone home with Scotty.

He didn’t ‘fall asleep’ Ivor

Im not impressed by evidence of coaching on the pitch but let’s not make things up

1 hour ago, RedYoshi said:

I’d suggest it’s our supposed 7-0 loss to Sheff Utd that’s really skewing it...! ;) Something going on with the home/away totals too? (It was a Sunday, I’m just being an arse, you’re forgiven!)

Definitely helps illustrate the difference in attacking intent, though - those Reading & Cardiff games especially I remember being quite comfortably in control and just panicking in the last 10-15mins.

I mean, 3x as many shots overall is quite staggering, especially when our fewest then is equal to our most now... and we managed nearly two thirds of our total now just in one match. No wonder I remember that period at least being more fun.

And don’t worry @cidered abroad, I’m finding no solace in our current form being worse than our worst run of defeats...!

Ugh fair spot. Changes it so the average is a 2-0 loss. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Why do people think this actually happened ?‍♂️

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The league record is 13.8 billion years, from the Big Bang until 8 September 1888.

It was expected that Holden's Bristol City would break this record until the Steve the Creator stepped in to change the course of history.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

The league record is 13.8 billion years, from the Big Bang until 8 September 1888.

It was expected that Holden's Bristol City would break this record until the Steve the Creator stepped in to change the course of history.

Fake news.

Here Fotheringham Jr is just about to score for St Cakes School against the Royal Merchant Haberdashers XI in 1887..

image.jpeg.362ca1829a3e3afebbe28d745956a071.jpeg

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Reading this thread, I get the impression some people think  LJ did really well to lose 8 games in a row.  Crikey?‍♂️

1-0, 10-0, 3-2, it doesn’t make any difference, HE lost 8 matches in a row. 

Nah they are comparing the losing streaks when we had some bad luck and competed in, the other we have been out thought out fought and out classed with no signs of a plan

Still they are terrible records

Archived