IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He's tough, but from what I've read of him and interviews I've seen he's a very intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate man - the idea of him being the sort of bloke who just goes mental at everyone isn't accurate at all imo (I know it's mostly just a bit of fun)

Exactly. You can be articulate amd forward thinking whilst not taking any crap as well - the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Being called a ‘psychopath’ by some already on here. Guess that’s what you get for having a bit of steel these days! 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

If, we do employ Pearson as our manager, it will give us a reasonable chance of surviving in the Championship. There are isn't any guarantee but we must now be as positive as we expect the players to be.

Agreed, you would hope that the players would relish playing for such a respected manager 

18 minutes ago, cityexile said:

With 15 games with him in charge, I just cannot see us going down.

Gives him a chance to look at the club, the structure, the players and see at the end of the season if he fancies it.

Gives both sides the chance to do that, to be fair.

It's the optimum arrangement.

I feel a lot less anxious about the rest of the season at any rate

Can see that to end of season can work for both sides. The most important thing is to avoid relegation and possible one of the best we could of hoped for.

From NP side, gives him a chance to see that the effects of long covid on his heart and joints are not affecting him day to day working back in football, would not want to be tied into a contract if we go down, MA or structure is not going to be an issue to end of season and going forward could be discussed changes prior to a new contract. Has been rumors wanted by Newcastle, so could be seeing what prem jobs come up in the summer.

41 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We appointed Steve Coppell after GJ...

If you mean we should have rewarded GJ with the sack after an amazing season, then you are off your head 

With due respect I disagree with this - I believe that when every club gets promoted they release players that they think cannot perform adequately at the new, higher level. But they never seem to do the same with managers. When Cotts took us up from league one after that amazing season in 2014/2015 I immediately said, and posted on here, that we should have given him the bonus he so genuinely deserved and told him “thanks Steve, but you aren’t a championship manager, so cheers for what you did for us in league one, here’s a huge amount of money to show our appreciation, but we are gonna find an experienced, successful, proven manager at this level to take us forward...” - but we didn’t do that ... just because managers take us out of league one, why do people think they can automatically be successful at the level above? Players are released, managers aren’t - but you think people with that mindset are ‘off their head’ ?! ?

9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He's tough, but from what I've read of him and interviews I've seen he's a very intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate man - the idea of him being the sort of bloke who just goes mental at everyone isn't accurate at all imo (I know it's mostly just a bit of fun)

Well put. 

Going mental or not, he will not suffer fools, and I reckon we have a few of them right now. 

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not that I believe it, but his LinkedIn profile still states he was a director at WBA from 1990 to 2004 ...

Director of the Community Programme I believe.....but like when I worked with Bank of America on a Currency Direct Debit Scheme, they were all Vice-President this and that.  As you will see from Companies House link, not a director in the truest sense.

21 minutes ago, cityexile said:

With 15 games with him in charge, I just cannot see us going down.

Gives him a chance to look at the club, the structure, the players and see at the end of the season if he fancies it.

Agree, pretty much the perfect appointment, has a good track record, knows The Championship, is available immediately & a reputation for not taking any nonsense.

He has enough time left to make decisions on those out of contract if he stays on & provided we get the required points to stay up can experiment in the last few games.

As for Simpson & Downing staying on, time will tell, Pearson’s regular assistant (Craig Shakespeare) is now on Villa’s coaching team, so may not be keen to join, but if Pearson is in charge next season I would not be too surprised to see his own man alongside him by then.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

Assuming all this is true and fingers crossed it is, what do we all think the interview was like and how was it held?

Virtually? SL only?

At the Gate? Mark Ashton?

One stage only? 

On Zoom with MA, SL and JL.

MA was hiding behind his chair though, crying every time Pearson answered a question with just the occasional “yes, Steve” whimper. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Director of the Community Programme I believe.....but like when I worked with Bank of America on a Currency Direct Debit Scheme, they were all Vice-President this and that.  As you will see from Companies House link, not a director in the truest sense.

So more evidence that he’s a fraud, cheers for the clarification Dave and you @NickJ - his choice of ties has always made me think that anyway (??) let’s hope the way SL has been more vocal this time means his time with us is up - and let’s hope the Ipswich Town rumours are true! Cheers ... ?

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With due respect I disagree with this - I believe that when every club gets promoted they release players that they think cannot perform adequately at the new, higher level. But they never seem to do the same with managers. When Cotts took us up from league one after that amazing season in 2014/2015 I immediately said, and posted on here, that we should have given him the bonus he so genuinely deserved and told him “thanks Steve, but you aren’t a championship manager, so cheers for what you did for us in league one, here’s a huge amount of money to show our appreciation, but we are gonna find an experienced, successful, proven manager at this level to take us forward...” - but we didn’t do that ... just because managers take us out of league one, why do people think they can automatically be successful at the level above? Players are released, managers aren’t - but you think people with that mindset are ‘off their head’ ?! ?

From memory, didn’t Southampton do that with Adkins?

8 minutes ago, One Team said:

On Zoom with MA, SL and JL.

MA was hiding behind his chair though, crying every time Pearson answered a question with just the occasional “yes, Steve” whimper. 

Zoom. Pearson probably organised it and sent the invites out.

“Afternoon everyone” simultaneously putting Ashton on mute.

SL - “Afternoon Nigel, this will be the start of a 6 week vigorous process as I am told that is the best way to go about appointing a human”

NP - “I’ll do it until the end of the season Steve, see what happens”

SL - “OK, thanks”

Easy.

Archived