IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

8 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Assuming all this is true and fingers crossed it is, what do we all think the interview was like and how was it held?

Virtually? SL only?

At the Gate? Mark Ashton?

One stage only? 

I think it was quite clear from Lansdown’s recent interviews that he was angry and was taking personal control of this. 
I’d guess he was hoping that the caretakers could at least hold the fort for a couple of weeks whilst he allowed Ashton to collate some applications, but yesterday’s game was evidence enough for him to say “right, move over everyone, I’m on this”. 

Steve is clearly pissed off. And that’s a good thing. Because if he’s pissed off and angry, he’ll sit up and take action. 

I’d put a lot of money on the ‘process’ being swiftly cast aside at 4:45pm yesterday and Steve was immediately on the phone to Pearson last night. 

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

He will also have Mariappa to input may be prior but also after on playing problems as togerther at Watford

I posted on twitter he managed Weimann and Martin....other than Mariappa, the only links I could find.  Although he loaned Martin to Fulham, he can at least sound out the two injured players for impartiality.

I did wonder whether Simpson cut across his time at Carlisle, but that doesn’t align, nor did the stint coaching at Derby.  Downing’s West Brom stint doesn’t appear to align either, nor Ashton’s thank duck.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I think it was quite clear from Lansdown’s recent interviews that he was angry and was taking personal control of this. 
I’d guess he was hoping that the caretakers could at least hold the fort for a couple of weeks whilst he allowed Ashton to collate some applications, but yesterday’s game was evidence enough for him to say “right, move over everyone, I’m on this”. 

Steve is clearly pissed off. And that’s a good thing. Because if he’s pissed off and angry, he’ll sit up and take action. 

I’d put a lot of money on the ‘process’ being swiftly cast aside at 4:45pm yesterday and Steve was immediately on the phone to Pearson last night. 

100% as I see it too.

48 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Guardian is reporting they will be retained.

Assume thats just so he can assess all staff members around the first team, decide who he'd want to retain and changes can be made over the summer if he stays on. Could be he likes Simpson and/or Downing and would want them to stay on as a coach even if he brought in an assistant 

5 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Zoom. Pearson probably organised it and sent the invites out.

“Afternoon everyone” simultaneously putting Ashton on mute.

MA ‘You have no authority here! Read the Standing Orders and understand them’.

JL “What...he’s just kicked MA out of the Zoom meeting’.

Short term initially...with view to long term..

He will have something to work with, he will see and be aware of the top rate facilities, he will be aware (according to SL) that we are in a good position with regards to FFP in summer, therefore have some freedom to identify and get in the right people...they will all target...  reasons for optimism..at last

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If, we do employ Pearson as our manager, it will give us a reasonable chance of surviving in the Championship. There are isn't any guarantee but we must now be as positive as we expect the players to be.

I am sure someone can find it faster than me but as I recall Mick took over Cardiff when they were at least 10 PTS off the play offs. Talk of City struggling as opposed to turning this around quickly are premature. Pearson most certainly has the ability to get City flying and I don't mean next season. OK, certain stars have to align not least our forwards but it's possible. Nobody better to take the reins right now in my view.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

? Couldn't help but laugh at this!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted on twitter he managed Weimann and Martin....other than Mariappa, the only links I could find.  Although he loaned Martin to Fulham, he can at least sound out the two injured players for impartiality.

I did wonder whether Simpson cut across his time at Carlisle, but that doesn’t align, nor did the stint coaching at Derby.  Downing’s West Brom stint doesn’t appear to align either, nor Ashton’s thank duck.

100% as I see it too.

I just listened to the interview you shared and he's a really smart bloke isn't he?! Very articulate and philosophical.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

In a funny way yesterday’s result could prove one of the more useful in our recent history! 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, if you’re really ‘The Moose’ then it will be incorrect - an absolute nightmare of a sports reporter, cannot even read a script without tripping over words and slurring, and has zero knowledge of anything regarding football, just makes himself constantly look like a clown who won a competition to be a sports reporter for a day - how he has remained employed with zero ability, knowledge or prowess is beyond me and many others 

We're doomed!

So excited for this. He is the perfect antidote for so many of the mistakes we have made as a club, both in the hierarchy and some of the players.

I am hoping the reason it is initially until the end of the season is it gets him in quicker, and can save the more detailed long-term contract negotiations until later. I am a little worried that at the end of the season Pearson will turn round and say "wow what a basket case of a club, I'm out!"

Hopefully we will do well in this last couple of months, and SL will just throw whatever money it takes at him to make him stay.

Honestly, I've been a fan of City since 2004 (peanuts compared to some of you I know!) but this is the most excited I've been for a manager. Finally we are looking UP THE LEAGUE for a manager rather than down!!

1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

So excited for this. He is the perfect antidote for so many of the mistakes we have made as a club, both in the hierarchy and some of the players.

I am hoping the reason it is initially until the end of the season is it gets him in quicker, and can save the more detailed long-term contract negotiations until later. I am a little worried that at the end of the season Pearson will turn round and say "wow what a basket case of a club, I'm out!"

Hopefully we will do well in this last couple of months, and SL will just throw whatever money it takes at him to make him stay.

Honestly, I've been a fan of City since 2004 (peanuts compared to some of you I know!) but this is the most excited I've been for a manager. Finally we are looking UP THE LEAGUE for a manager rather than down!!

2004 ?  Get some in :cool:

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll want Chris Powell I reckon. I think he’s free at the moment? 
Obviously Shakespeare is his main man. We’ll wait for the summer to get him ?

Get Steve Walsh back from Carolina as well. 

Isn’t Chris Powell in the England set up? I am sure I have seen him on the bench for the senior team but could be mistaken

58 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Don't want to detract from the anticipation but his managerial record shows a few jobs where he was only in post for a matter of months.

I like him.  But is he really a long term appointment???

...or is this a panic move?

Have you not seen where we are in the league? Granted we're 10 points off the playoffs, but also 10 off relegation. Have you seen the results? Performances? Caretaker managers falling asleep on the sidelines?

Panic? I bloody well hope so!!

36 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The Guardian has a track record for typos, so it could well be "they will be detained"

Could be retrained.....

18 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

According to the Guardian article the most important part is that it is a short-term contract with a view to a longer deal

This pleases me immensely ?

With an appointment like this on a short term deal (providing it happens) you would hope that they would also talk longer term as well. As others have said, if he likes what he sees and hears, he could effectively start rebuilding in the summer and making it his team. Also gives him leverage with a contract.

With a manager like him, not only will he have preferred backroom staff, but maybe even preferred players to turn to. Also to any potential new signings in the summer - new ground, new training facilities, a manager with a proven track record that won't be in it just for the money - suddenly we're attractive again and get a better pick of players to choose from.....

Fingers crossed this all happens, as it really could be the beginning of something really good.

Dammit I'm sensing something which could be optimism.....

You watch Ashton unveil the Cowley Brothers tomorrow now :whistle:

I'm feeling a lot more cheerful at this news.  I really hope we will be seeing Mr Pearson on the roof tomorrow.

An excellent appointment for both him and us, I feel.  I don't think he's the type to put up with any messing around and will expect 100% from all around him (and also the type to give 100% in return).

Great news if true.

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness Ska , and I know that still is doing the rounds , but he was sat there shouting at that moment , that’s why his mouth is open on the still 

Indeed, I remember it specifically - he was shouting "Antoine", trying to get him back into shape when Barnsley were in possession (possibly a throw in in front of the dug outs)

6 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Who is she?

Dunno, ask Shaggy. 

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Anyone know if he was on the club's radar last August when DH was appointed full time? He'd been sacked as Watford Manager before the end of last season so he was available. Apologies if already answered. Lots of pages to go through. 

He was pretty badly ill with covid over the summer I think

Archived