IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Meh. That worries me. If there is potential commitment issues I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. 

I wouldn’t. We can’t afford to look long term, we need to be looking at the here and now and Pearson is the man to stop the rot and keep us in this division. We can worry about next season in the summer.

8 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Excellent website: https://www.nigelpearson.net

This appointment, if it’s confirmed, makes lots of sense... short-term initially allows all concerned to see how the relationship works, he provides truck loads of experience, him living in Devon is convenient.  

He doesn't live there. He has a holiday home in Ivybridge.

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Very excited by this, but concerned it's only short term. One side must have doubts?

I would think it’s all to do with relegation. If we don’t succeed in staying up would Pearson want to manage a league one team? Or would we be able to afford him? 
Would not surprise me if we stay up then he gets x a week to stay on next season. 
McCarthy at Cardiff would probably be the same as they were in free fall now they are knocking on play offs door. And would not surprise me if they finish in them. I can’t see Cardiff starting next season without McCarthy as manager. 
Likewise Colin last season with Boro. 
It is a safety net for both sides with what ever target triggering a longer contract. 

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

Kind of agree. But with GJ, we had been expected to face a relegation battle and instead we were one game away from the prem, he had done a miraculous job at that point 

It’s a very harsh decision indeed, however that season we had the momentum of promotion.  IMO he should of been replaced with a man who can for the good of the football club.  He was never going to produce that again in his career.  It’s about moving up the levels.  In the real world yes the man doesn’t get replaced.
This is football..

1 minute ago, scrumpy88 said:

Very happy with this... slight concern is what happened with him at Derby, fell out with the chairman and players, ended up getting sacked leaving them in 20th

Something to do with the owner wanting to use a drone to record training sessions and NP considered he was being spyed on

SL/JL/Ashton need to just trust him and keep their noses out so he can get on with the job IMO 

1 minute ago, scrumpy88 said:

Very happy with this... slight concern is what happened with him at Derby, fell out with the chairman and players, ended up getting sacked leaving them in 20th

Glad you prefixed your concern with "very happy with this", as I can still say that in 27 pages of comments not one dissenting voice over this appointment to be. I cannot remember that ever being the case before since the inception of OTIB.

Let's just hope Ashton doesn't put his oar in and screw this up at the 11th hour. 

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Meh. That worries me. If there is potential commitment issues I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. 

I would suspect that it’s a contract whereby he’s committed for the season - if he keeps us up and it’s working well it’s verbally agreed he’ll continue. I would suspect his contract includes a hefty ‘survival’ bonus and an even heftier ‘playoff’ bonus if he somehow achieved that.

Obviously he won’t come cheap so in a worst case scenario it’s not realistic to keep him in L1. We’d also need to restructure like we did under SO’D.

A short term contract for now is prudent on our part. 

2 minutes ago, semblar said:

Whether it is announced or not, you can bet the players will be told -assuming it is true of course but I feel like too many places are reporting it for it not to be. Watch them bust a gut against Boro tomorrow knowing he will be watching them...

The test is whether they have any guts to bust! 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m pretty sure it’ll end up being today. No reason to delay. I predict by mid morning we’ll have word there’s a press conference.

Hope so @Phileas Fogg my only reason for saying is because this news broke out quite late last night. But let’s see. 

Good luck to everyone today who has work...I’m sure we’ll all be concentrating elsewhere 

5 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Just been thinking whilst I drink a coffee. I wonder if this is who they wanted in the summer. Due to COVID it didn’t happen. 

I was thinking the same after listening to Landsdowns interview. He said there were a couple more people being spoken to this time who weren't previously because it wasn't right for them (or something like that).  Perhaps Nigel's COVID situation meant he was one of them.

28 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I would think it’s all to do with relegation. If we don’t succeed in staying up would Pearson want to manage a league one team? Or would we be able to afford him? 
Would not surprise me if we stay up then he gets x a week to stay on next season. 
McCarthy at Cardiff would probably be the same as they were in free fall now they are knocking on play offs door. And would not surprise me if they finish in them. I can’t see Cardiff starting next season without McCarthy as manager. 
Likewise Colin last season with Boro. 
It is a safety net for both sides with what ever target triggering a longer contract. 

Agree , I’d imagine Pearson is coming in with a brief to keep us up with a bonus in place if he does. Gives him a couple of months to review the squad and us as a club and us the same. If we stay up (which I think now we will) and Pearson is backed in the summer financially then can see him staying 

Archived