IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

11 minutes ago, !james said:

"Rumours are that he fell out with the owner and chief exec who like to micromanage everything and I think NP had had enough"

"He got the squad morale improved. Put an arm around the players shoulders. Then tried to knock sense into some and there was a fracas behind the scenes. Spoke his mind and was removed."

?

Which is why Ashton needs to **** off for this to work IMO.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Surely Pearson wouldn’t agree to working with anyone other than his own coaches? 

He can’t be that desperate for work!

He only brought in Craig Shakespeare as his assistant when he took on the short term role at Watford. He kept on Hayden Mullins/Graham Stack who were the temporary managers/coaches at the time

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

One interesting comment made to me on Twitter -

“He’ll bang some skulls together. Some chairmen think they want this, then realise it’s not for them when it happens.”

Explains why he had short stops in some places. Personally, I think his style and obvious intelligence is a great fit for us. Also, one of the top traits of his teams is organisation. That is currently what we’re lacking.

Let’s do this.

We’ve been too nice as a club , and I think Pearson will maybe change our culture both on and off the pitch or certainly give something to think about 

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My only concern with this is it sounds like he needs to be surrounded by an elite coaching team that will take day-to-day training. If he is a manager that coaches, then he'll be more reliant on his coaching team.

On this basis I really hope he brings his own men in, because as of now I don't have a lot of faith in Simpson and Downing. 

Me neither, though in their defence the injuries, short pre-season and volume of games mean it will have been hard to get their ideas across. Maybe they will be galvanised by the arrival of an experienced manager.

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My only concern with this is it sounds like he needs to be surrounded by an elite coaching team that will take day-to-day training. If he is a manager that coaches, then he'll be more reliant on his coaching team.

On this basis I really hope he brings his own men in, because as of now I don't have a lot of faith in Simpson and Downing. 

I understand that Downing & Simpson are not popular at the moment but is there any evidence that their coaching is inadequate under the right leadership? They might not be management material (plenty of good coaches aren't) but it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good coaches. 

7 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

One interesting comment made to me on Twitter -

“He’ll bang some skulls together. Some chairmen think they want this, then realise it’s not for them when it happens.”

Explains why he had short stops in some places. Personally, I think his style and obvious intelligence is a great fit for us. Also, one of the top traits of his teams is organisation. That is currently what we’re lacking.

Let’s do this.

He’s a wolf in ostrich’s clothing. Can’t wait for the complacent attitudes at all levels to be exposed and challenged.

3 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I understand that Downing & Simpson are not popular at the moment but is there any evidence that their coaching is inadequate under the right leadership? They might not be management material (plenty of good coaches aren't) but it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good coaches. 

I'd argue the evidence is that since they came in the team has started to lose the ability to do the basics - and it has just got worse and worse and worse.

Now we have a less than 50% pass rate completion and can't defend set pieces.

15 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Yes, the evidence is the absolute shambolic performances of the players. Worst coached set of individuals and as a team I can remember. Can't create chances, can't win corners, can't cross the ball, can't pass, can't take throw ins properly etc etc. Performances should improve under Pearson but it doesn't escape the fact that the coaching of this squad has been very poor.

16 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Quite. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd argue the evidence is that since they came in the team has started to lose the ability to do the basics - and it has just got worse and worse and worse.

Now we have a less than 50% pass rate completion and can't defend set pieces.

It's a fair point. I honestly have no idea how much of that is down to Holden or Downing & Simpson or the players (who must take a decent portion of the responsibility for not being able to get basic schoolboy football right). 

For me the jury is out. Won't hang them yet. 

4 hours ago, Gakoe said:

I posted on another thread that there was zero chance of appointing him. I didn't think SL and MA would have the balls for such a character. 

God I hope I'm wrong ?

Same here.  Top pedigree manager, us looking up rather than down (or sideways) for a replacement.  I don’t doubt for one minute his quality, I just didn’t think SL/MA would go for him, nor him for us.

Much as I’d like it longer than short-term, I suspect as others have suggested it gives a sensible get-out on both sides.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Pearson will have to follow the club philosophy.

To be fair he has signed a lot of young players in the past.

With our academy players coming through, I think it will be similar to others that are now part of our squad.

Do well out on loan ideally in league one, or possibly in league two like Bakinson, and then they will be back as part of our squad the next season if ready.

I've never really been that keen on youngsters playing if they don't look ready in training. The likes of Towler and Owura most likely need a loan next season. That might be all they need to then come back ready.

Obviously we will every now and then get a superb talent like Kelly that doesn't even need a loan. Tins seems to think Alex Scott could be ready for first team action soon. So maybe he's one like that.

I don't see why some think it's a bad model. The signings of players in their early 20s have not been quite so impressive recently, so hopefully Pearson helps improve that.

The club have shown they are willing to bring in experienced players who are likely on high wages if that's what the manager wants. Holden clearly wanted that and got it.

Things can always been improved and I'm hoping Pearson does that on the recruitment side. But the way we work I think is the right way and just needs that right manager to make it work better imo.

I'm still far more concerned about the injuries than I am anything else and I'm hoping Pearson will identify something in that and will challenge the club and suggest changes to hopefully prevent so many of them in the future.

Think we need to worry about recruitment and loans when the time comes.  I fully expect him to keep us in this division this season, but with window shut I can’t see us going out into the OOC market.  Hopefully some left sided players are back soon, but Sessegnon’s return helps.

Funny you mention Alex Scott....I’ve heard good things, and the fact that he is usually selected over Benarous must mean he’s well thought of too.

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I’m guessing he may be expected to work with the current coaches until the end of the season and then will be offered a permanent deal if it’s in everyone’s interests, and given free reign to bring his own team in? 

Here’s hoping because on the evidence of what we’ve seen on the pitch our coaching is horrendous. 

It will be interesting if it happens for our coaches if they stay. Instead of a clueless novice where they maybe felt they had the greater knowledge they will have to deal with vastly experienced and successful player and manager. They will come under the spotlight in a way they have not been used to. In other words they will really have to earn their wages.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Same here.  Top pedigree manager, us looking up rather than down (or sideways) for a replacement.  I don’t doubt for one minute his quality, I just didn’t think SL/MA would go for him, nor him for us.

Much as I’d like it longer than short-term, I suspect as others have suggested it gives a sensible get-out on both sides.

Think we need to worry about recruitment and loans when the time comes.  I fully expect him to keep us in this division this season, but with window shut I can’t see us going out into the OOC market.  Hopefully some left sided players are back soon, but Sessegnon’s return helps.

Funny you mention Alex Scott....I’ve heard good things, and the fact that he is usually selected over Benarous must mean he’s well thought of too.

Image result for alex scott

Not this Alex Scott then?!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

True. It is a slight concern though that you really have to go back to 2014/15 for the last time Pearson did an impressive job at a club - Leicester.

Did not do well at Derby or in Belgium with Leuven. 

He did a very good job at Watford. They were all but down when he took over. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True. It is a slight concern though that you really have to go back to 2014/15 for the last time Pearson did an impressive job at a club - Leicester.

Did not do well at Derby or in Belgium with Leuven. 

my worry as well, can't stop thinking about how bad SOD was for us despite what he did for Doncaster - a short term contract til end of season is def the best way to go IMO

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, the evidence is the absolute shambolic performances of the players. Worst coached set of individuals and as a team I can remember. Can't create chances, can't win corners, can't cross the ball, can't pass, can't take throw ins properly etc etc. Performances should improve under Pearson but it doesn't escape the fact that the coaching of this squad has been very poor.

It'll be interesting to see if these basics improve if these coaches remain under a new gaffer. 

I accept your point and I don't think they should get away with not being scrutinised but I don't know how much of the recent inability of this squad is down to Holden's leadership or the players themselves. 

Archived