IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True. It is a slight concern though that you really have to go back to 2014/15 for the last time Pearson did an impressive job at a club - Leicester.

Did not do well at Derby or in Belgium with Leuven. 

The job he did at Watford was unbelievable?!

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Brilliant if it comes off. Just what we have been crying out for COYR.

Yep, fantastic.

Makes you wonder how “they” could possibly decide Holden was the outstanding candidate in the summer if they think that the calibre of Nigel Pearson now is what they need.  That’s not dissing Holden, but it confirms again and again that SL took his eye off the ball, trusted MA and JL too much, and they got it wrong.  He’s had to step-in twice in a week.  Maybe with Covid and the powers of zoom in everyday life, maybe he doesn’t need to step back as much as he thought.  Not saying SL is wonderful all of a sudden, just that his faith in his delegates was misguided.

4 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

The question is whether Pearson's no nonsense approach will be right for our players.

Will they be motivated or will they crumble under such discipline? After all, they haven't proved themselves to be tough nuts so far.

Nigel may have to bring some cotton wool.

He will be right for some and wrong for others. His challenge will be to carry enough of them to get a functioning team. It’s the challenge every manager faces. What I hope will be different is that I suspect he will be sure enough of what he wants and strong enough to drop those who he does not think will deliver it on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True. It is a slight concern though that you really have to go back to 2014/15 for the last time Pearson did an impressive job at a club - Leicester.

Agreed. Think it’s a much bigger gamble than most seem to on here. I always thought Shakespeare was known to be a big part of Pearson’s success. 

He does speak very intelligently in podcasts etc but is still a highly volatile character with numerous incidents at most (all?) of his clubs.

? it works out 

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

For a while then they lost the plot 

55 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

“Let’s talk about the future now we’ve put the past away.” Less Than Zero - Elvis Costello

"History repeats the old conceits, the same replies, the same defeats. Keep your eye on important issues with crocodile tears and a pocket full of tissues" - Beyond Belief -E. Costello :) 

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Unsure how you can think he didn't do a decent job, all things considered in his last job at Watford? Any manager to even get them close to surviving from when he took over would have struggled imo.

16 minutes ago, erndogz said:

I guess this has been posted in the thread somewhere but I enjoyed this interview with NP https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/managing-in-the-modern-game-nigel-pearson-the-leader/

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

From the link shared by erndogz:

How have you learned to overcome setbacks within the role and has this affected the way you manage?

“There have been times when things haven’t worked out. Joining Derby was just a terrible decision. I think I took my eye off the team when I worked in Belgium, trying to affect things that I couldn’t affect, and misjudging others agendas.“

19 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

The question is whether Pearson's no nonsense approach will be right for our players.

Will they be motivated or will they crumble under such discipline? After all, they haven't proved themselves to be tough nuts so far.

NP: “I’ve talked about aura already, and it never ceases to amaze me that when people meet me, they say, ‘Oh, you’re much smaller than I thought you were.’ Is that something to do with my presence? I don’t know. I’ve learned to use the tools that I have. I’m approachable, I have warmth and I have humanity. I like the company of people, but I like to know where the lines are. “

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He did a very good job at Watford. They were all but down when he took over. 

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Sacked him lost the last 2 without him and got relegated, he would of kept them up

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

They were 7 points adrift when he took over, and 3 points safe with 2 games to go when he was sacked . That they then got relegated was crazy. Reading the press, it says he was being tipped for manager of the season if he had kept them up. So hard to say he did not perform. Derby is less clear what went wrong though. 

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

4 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Unsure how you can think he didn't do a decent job, all things considered in his last job at Watford? Any manager to even get them close to surviving from when he took over would have struggled imo.

I am simply pointing out that some Watford fans don't think he did such a great job, as confirmed here: Views of Watford supporters: Nigel Pearson | WFC Forums

Their last two games were against Man City and Arsenal so dubious to suggest they definitely would have stayed up had he remained in post. I agree, from the outside it looked like he did very well, but then I doubt any of us were watching all of Watford's games. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I am simply pointing out that some Watford fans don't think he did such a great job, as confirmed here: Views of Watford supporters: Nigel Pearson | WFC Forums

Their last two games were against Man City and Arsenal so dubious to suggest they definitely would have stayed up had he remained in post. I agree, from the outside it looked like he did very well, but then I doubt any of us were watching all of Watford's games. 

Some supporters probably thought Holden was the best manager since Dicks, not sure it a useful yardstick.

20 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Never been a fan of players who you need to mother to get the best out of them

they are the type who hide when the going gets tough

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m guessing he may be expected to work with the current coaches until the end of the season and then will be offered a permanent deal if it’s in everyone’s interests, and given free reign to bring his own team in? 

Here’s hoping because on the evidence of what we’ve seen on the pitch our coaching is horrendous. 

I believe he usually uses Craig Shakespeare. 

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think we all have misgivings about Nigel and each circumstance is different but for where we are right now? 

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You can only judge by his results at Watford and they were excellent and who'to say he wouldn't of got anything against Man City in what was a meaningless fixture for them and a woeful Arsenal team

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A lot of what they’ve said correlates with when he had covid which is a fairly large caveat and in the sky article it sounds like he had it for some time. Obviously from the outside it would’ve looked like he started well and tailed off 

Football fans forget players and management are humans (some are exceptional) themselves 

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

These are my concerns as well.

I think if he's appointed we have a pretty decent chance of getting out of the tailspin we're in and picking up enough points this season that at least we won't get to witness a Pearson v Barton technical area glare-off in 21/22.

Whether he's the long-term guy for us, I'm less convinced.  But like everyone else who comes here, they start with a clean slate as far as I'm concerned.

I'm mainly happy that it appears Steve Lansdown didn't take an aeon to make a decision.

Archived