IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I am simply pointing out that some Watford fans don't think he did such a great job, as confirmed here: Views of Watford supporters: Nigel Pearson | WFC Forums

Their last two games were against Man City and Arsenal so dubious to suggest they definitely would have stayed up had he remained in post. I agree, from the outside it looked like he did very well, but then I doubt any of us were watching all of Watford's games. 

They were 7 points from safety when he took over, and he got them 26 points from 22 games. No I didn't watch every Watford game, but I still don't see how that is not a very good job looking from the outside. Would they have stayed up with him, maybe, maybe not. But what we need now is to simply stay up, and I think he will do that and if he gets us playing half decent football on top of that then it's a massive bonus and deserves consideration for a longer contract. I am more than happy if we appoint him, as I think he will stop the rot, and give some players a massive kick up the arse. We can all judge the style, tactics etc at the end of this season.

Personally, my preferences (of those realistically linked) were Cook and Neil. Howe after that, though I’m not/was not convinced this was the right moment for him.

Pearson, to me, is a high risk, high reward appointment. I worry it could implode if he goes heavy handed with a group of players already feeling sorry for themselves but on the flip side, if he brought stability, it’s a calibre of appointment that could easily take us to the next level.

Presuming it all goes through it will be fascinating to hear the sound bytes from Ashton/Lansdown on how he will fit into the model if our relationship extends beyond the summer.

6 minutes ago, S_C said:

Personally, my preferences (of those realistically linked) were Cook and Neil. Howe after that, though I’m not/was not convinced this was the right moment for him.

Pearson, to me, is a high risk, high reward appointment. I worry it could implode if he goes heavy handed with a group of players already feeling sorry for themselves but on the flip side, if he brought stability, it’s a calibre of appointment that could easily take us to the next level.

Presuming it all goes through it will be fascinating to hear the sound bytes from Ashton/Lansdown on how he will fit into the model if our relationship extends beyond the summer.

Why do you think this might be the case?

Excited to have someone come in with a fresh pair of eyes on the squad and some new ideas. It's desperately needed.

I like his stern but fair demeanour, probably overdue a bit of that as well.

His teams always look well drilled and he should have the respect of the players before he's walked in the door.

It's a sound appointment, even if only short term.

This is a very contentious appointment, if it happens, NP has a very arrogant personality that just might damage this club beyond the period of his tenure. Or it might gust ignite some passion and fight in the players, either way it is as far removed from a Bristol City manager as I can ever recaĺl.

I hope this works out .

Just now, Blackbird1 said:

This is a very contentious appointment, if it happens, NP has a very arrogant personality that just might damage this club beyond the period of his tenure. Or it might gust ignite some passion and fight in the players, either way it is as far removed from a Bristol City manager as I can ever recaĺl.

I hope this works out .

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

10 minutes ago, S_C said:

There is little to suggest he is heavy handed with his players....everything to suggest he’s massively protective of them.  Heavy handed with owners and media?  Absolutely, but not players.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

Totally agree Harry

Confident and assured I’d say

As somebody who doesn’t suffer fools , I’m in his camp %100

In terms of reading people I see Ashton , and people like LJ as people who appear to talk well , and wish to come across as very intelligent and smart  , but it doesn’t take long to see what substance there is behind their words

For me , whenever I’ve heard him speak , Pearson actually talks sense with clear intelligence, with the presence and confidence to match 

Keep us up Nigel , and you have a blank book to write

Thens the time for SL to back him to the hilt , as far as he can , and let him get on with it

If he does that, he has a man , potentially , who can sort his football club , not just his team , for him

2 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I hope this works out .

Yes, same personality traits as Cotts ..  that seemed to work  

Nigel Pearson: As reported last night by
@benfisherj, it's going to be just a deal until the summer initially. But could become longer if it works out. Close to being completed. As it stands, Pearson will work with the existing backroom staff. #BristolCity

Working with dumb and dumber and very much a short term goal at the moment. Not as enthused by this appointment as I had been.

7 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I hope this works out .

Do you believe that the great majority of our post war managers did not instill passion and fight in their players.

Beasley, Ford, Dicks, Cooper, Jordan, Cotterill and even John Ward all won promotion and it's impossible to do that quietly, without passion and a great deal of fight.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is little to suggest he is heavy handed with his players....everything to suggest he’s massively protective of them.  Heavy handed with owners and media?  Absolutely, but not players.

Just listened to the Mark Pougatch interview / pod totally agree about protecting players.

Archived