IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

**** me. If you’re not allowed to be arrogant after seeing off a pack of Wolves, when are you allowed to be arrogant?

This wouldn’t be my first choice, liked Cook. However there’s no doubting Pearson’s pedigree.

The other factor is the initial length of the appointment. He is obviously a motivator, fire-fighter and organiser. At the moment this is exactly what we need. Both parties can suss eachother out. If he’s a success, then he’ll either want to stay and be happy with the structure or we will see the benefit in going the extra mile in accommodating him in terms of his overall influence on football decisions iwithin the club as well as financially.

If it doesn’t work, then we either go down, or survive by the skin of our teeth, in which case is a whole different scenario. 

FWIW I think he is on paper the best available candidate for our situation at the minute. If he does well but goes to a bigger club in the summer, we at least may learn from him what we need to do with the structure of the football side and maybe open Steve Lansdown’s mind to maybe appear more flexible in the appointment of the next manager, as well as to evolving the football structure in the club.

Whichever way could be a win win appointment if handled right. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd argue the evidence is that since they came in the team has started to lose the ability to do the basics - and it has just got worse and worse and worse.

Now we have a less than 50% pass rate completion and can't defend set pieces.

I think that is as much down to the players, probably more.

Watch Mariappa for the Barnsley goal for instance, that is nothing to do with coaching, it is the player switching off.

19 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

This is a very contentious appointment, if it happens, NP has a very arrogant personality that just might damage this club beyond the period of his tenure. Or it might gust ignite some passion and fight in the players, either way it is as far removed from a Bristol City manager as I can ever recaĺl.

I hope this works out .

Well football is full of arrogance but what makes you think he is arrogant? Could it be mistaken for confidence. Not having a pop just genuinely interested in why you think he is and why it would be bad for the club?

People worrying about the short term deal fear not, prudent on both sides. 

IF City relegated we won’t want to pay his wages at L1 level, and he won’t wanna manage us. Agreement/contract will be in place once safety secure and both parties happy to continue. 
Imagine Pearson will then look to get his own backroom team in at this point too if he’s not happy with Downing & Simpson. 

Perfect and best available candidate we could have hoped for. 

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

People worrying about the short term deal fear not, prudent on both sides. 

IF City relegated we won’t want to pay his wages at L1 level, and he won’t wanna manage us. Agreement/contract will be in place once safety secure and both parties happy to continue. 
Imagine Pearson will then look to get his own backroom team in at this point too if he’s not happy with Downing & Simpson. 

Perfect and best available candidate we could have hoped for. 

Plus why would we want to keep a manager who can’t get us 10 points from 15 games! ?

18 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Why do you think this might be the case?

Confidence shot to pieces due to a lack of any real plan they can get behind. I’m sure with clear instruction confidence will follow, and I’m sure Pearson would provide that.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is little to suggest he is heavy handed with his players....everything to suggest he’s massively protective of them.  Heavy handed with owners and media?  Absolutely, but not players.

Fair, and maybe I’m being sucked in by the constant stream of posts discussing how terrified Ashton will be, or how he’ll put a rocket up the players etc, but I think there’s a weight of risk in the appointment given his relatively short spells at clubs since Leicester approaching six years ago.

All that has been discussed recently is the model and how it may only accommodate certain types. You’ve got a mentally shot squad, a CEO who {apparently} manipulates to achieve his ends and what appears to be a seriously frustrated owner. And into that you’re introducing the exact opposite character that people assumed. Someone who has left previous jobs in a hurry after fallings out.

Look, don't get me wrong, I’m not against the appointment. It’s a calibre of candidate I didn’t think we’d attract. But I think Cook, Neil etc keep us up with an arguably lower ceiling going forward. Pearson will probably keep us up with an arguably higher one.

1 hour ago, erndogz said:

I guess this has been posted in the thread somewhere but I enjoyed this interview with NP https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/managing-in-the-modern-game-nigel-pearson-the-leader/

À very good article, if he’s still genuinely up for it then this could be a marriage made in Devon. 

He sounds exactly like the sort of bloke we should have bought in after LJ, still better late than never. 

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think that is as much down to the players, probably more.

Watch Mariappa for the Barnsley goal for instance, that is nothing to do with coaching, it is the player switching off.

Funny they all seem to switch off at once then? Players who, in some cases, were performing a lot better earlier this season.

Coaching should make them "switch on". Should reinforce what they were doing right and teach them how to avoid mistakes.

If one or two players saw declines in form, then maybe you'd look to those players.  The whole outfield does, and I'd point at the coaching.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

À very good article, if he’s still genuinely up for it then this could be a marriage made in Devon. 

He sounds exactly like the sort of bloke we should have bought in after LJ, still better late than never. 

Should’ve brought him in before LJ. He was keen. But as you say, better late than never. 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

As we know, NP had the Covid virus quite badly at that time and SL did mention recently that there were a couple of likely candidates who weren't available at the time of LJs sacking.

Maybe the length of time taken to employ a successor to LJ was to see if NP would recover to fit in with the timeline ? 

24 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:
Nigel Pearson: As reported last night by
@benfisherj, it's going to be just a deal until the summer initially. But could become longer if it works out. Close to being completed. As it stands, Pearson will work with the existing backroom staff. #BristolCity

Working with dumb and dumber and very much a short term goal at the moment. Not as enthused by this appointment as I had been.

Very much seems a case of allow him to asses current staff, if he stays on then he'll make changes in the summer. If we allowed him to make changes now what happens if he decided he didn't want to stay? Would the next head coach then be hamstrung by his changes? Logical really

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Funny they all seem to switch off at once then? Players who, in some cases, were performing a lot better earlier this season.

Coaching should make them "switch on". Should reinforce what they were doing right and teach them how to avoid mistakes.

If one or two players saw declines in form, then maybe you'd look to those players.  The whole outfield does, and I'd point at the coaching.

Fair enough.

I'm pointing the finger at the players.

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

Comes across as if you work for him then work hard, be respectful and you'll get along fine (as is the case for most people)

People mention a few of his sudden departures from jobs, but one was Watford, who are a basket case club with regards managers & they ended up going down after he dragged them out of the relegation zone. He left Derby because Mel Morris wanted drones above training so he could watch training ( different to the manager using them! ), so I think there was a level of trust issues there. Think he left Hull quickly due to the offer from Leicester who he set up to do the unthinkable. Might be a few I’m missing, but that’s the main ones I can think of. Really think he will like Lansdowns way of playing with a straight bat. COYR 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

The job he did at Watford was unbelievable?!

Am I right in saying only 3 teams have survived having been bottom at Xmas, and one of them was Pearson's Leicester? The fourth would have been Watford if they'd kept him.

He's got something about him, that's for sure

I wont judge him on derby, wasnt there long enough and they are a basket case

Overseas jobs are always hit and miss, different culture, language etc

He's done very, very well at most places hes been

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I would suspect that it’s a contract whereby he’s committed for the season - if he keeps us up and it’s working well it’s verbally agreed he’ll continue. I would suspect his contract includes a hefty ‘survival’ bonus and an even heftier ‘playoff’ bonus if he somehow achieved that.

Obviously he won’t come cheap so in a worst case scenario it’s not realistic to keep him in L1. We’d also need to restructure like we did under SO’D.

A short term contract for now is prudent on our part. 

I personally doubt that there would be any agreement regarding next season, even just verbally. What I suspect is that, taking into account Ashton and 'the structure', it benefits both parties to have a short term deal in order to see if a working relationship can be implemented.

Having been quite ill, it may also suit Pearson to 'see how he goes' without committing to anything long term.

Both scenarios eminently sensible in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Simon79 said:

People mention a few of his sudden departures from jobs, but one was Watford, who are a basket case club with regards managers & they ended up going down after he dragged them out of the relegation zone. He left Derby because Mel Morris wanted drones above training so he could watch training ( different to the manager using them! ), so I think there was a level of trust issues there. Think he left Hull quickly due to the offer from Leicester who he set up to do the unthinkable. Might be a few I’m missing, but that’s the main ones I can think of. Really think he will like Lansdowns way of playing with a straight bat. COYR 

I think the obvious question is the potential clash (if he stays on) over how much control for transfers he has, will he be allowed to bring in Walsh, will Ashton be told to stand down etc 

Archived