IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

10 minutes ago, S_C said:

Confidence shot to pieces due to a lack of any real plan they can get behind. I’m sure with clear instruction confidence will follow, and I’m sure Pearson would provide that.

Fair, and maybe I’m being sucked in by the constant stream of posts discussing how terrified Ashton will be, or how he’ll put a rocket up the players etc, but I think there’s a weight of risk in the appointment given his relatively short spells at clubs since Leicester approaching six years ago.

All that has been discussed recently is the model and how it may only accommodate certain types. You’ve got a mentally shot squad, a CEO who {apparently} manipulates to achieve his ends and what appears to be a seriously frustrated owner. And into that you’re introducing the exact opposite character that people assumed. Someone who has left previous jobs in a hurry after fallings out.

Look, don't get me wrong, I’m not against the appointment. It’s a calibre of candidate I didn’t think we’d attract. But I think Cook, Neil etc keep us up with an arguably lower ceiling going forward. Pearson will probably keep us up with an arguably higher one.

For a group of professionals, this would truly worry me.  More worrying is Simpson & Downing, England coaches not that you'd know it.  Brought in to assist DH and we appear to have gone backwards at a rate of knots, I'd have these bombed out....some of the senior pro's need to step up now, make their voices and feelings heard and let's crack on.

Just now, Lrrr said:

I think the obvious question is the potential clash (if he stays on) over how much control for transfers he has, will he be allowed to bring in Walsh, will Ashton be told to stand down etc 

I think there will have to be a bit of give & take, maybe a slight bend from Lansdowns game plan if you want. Something he actually alluded to on Friday. I don’t see why Walsh couldn’t come in & work with a CEO. That would be a real coup, wasn’t he linked with a few big clubs? COYR 

Just noticed this - was Pearson possibly not well enough (CoVid in June)  to be considered in the Summer 

In August and September 2020, after his departure from Watford, Pearson endured a bout of rheumatoid arthritis that saw him suffer with swollen joints.He struggled to move during this period, slept heavily and had a shortness of breath.

Just now, Simon79 said:

I think there will have to be a bit of give & take, maybe a slight bend from Lansdowns game plan if you want. Something he actually alluded to on Friday. I don’t see why Walsh couldn’t come in & work with a CEO. That would be a real coup, wasn’t he linked with a few big clubs? COYR 

Yeah its certainly there as a workable option even potentially/probably what should happen, but would it need a clear instruction from Lansdown to Ashton or is Ashton willing to be part of it so to say. As has been said on here I don't think many people have questioned Ashton's job as CEO of it, the general criticism appears to be purely related to his involvement in recruitment.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Just noticed this - was Pearson possibly not well enough (CoVid in June)  to be considered in the Summer 

In August and September 2020, after his departure from Watford, Pearson endured a bout of rheumatoid arthritis that saw him suffer with swollen joints.He struggled to move during this period, slept heavily and had a shortness of breath.

Would certainly line up with Lansdown's line about looking at people whose situation has changed since the summer

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Another reason why a short-term contract suits both parties.

Pearson will want to assess if his health has fully recovered.  

Its great to see the optimism on this thread and I really hope that NP can save our bacon and go on to create a promotion winning team.  It will be very interesting to see how he copes with the immediate challenges of the injury crisis, lack of left sided players and the general lack of physicality and pace in the remnants of our squad available for selection.

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Its great to see the optimism on this thread and I really hope that NP can save our bacon and go on to create a promotion winning team.  It will be very interesting to see how he copes with the immediate challenges of the injury crisis, lack of left sided players and the general lack of physicality and pace in the remnants of our squad available for selection.

Plus our first, what appears, non-yes man since Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. 

15 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I personally doubt that there would be any agreement regarding next season, even just verbally. What I suspect is that, taking into account Ashton and 'the structure', it benefits both parties to have a short term deal in order to see if a working relationship can be implemented.

Having been quite ill, it may also suit Pearson to 'see how he goes' without committing to anything long term.

Both scenarios eminently sensible in my opinion.

If we cannot take the advice / recommendations of someone like Pearson re structure, as long as we can afford it, we really do have long term problems.

2 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Plus our first, what appears, non-yes man since Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. 

If he can save us from relegation and build a winning team, I don't care whether he is a yes man, no man or anything else.  He will, like all managers and players be falsely labelled by certain sections of the fan base. I believe that he has a very difficult task in front of him and I hope that some of the injured players can get back into contention to help him lift the whole club.

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Hi mate. Nice to see you in different circumstances! ? 

2 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Does anyone think Pearson may insist he becomes the 'manager' as opposed to 'head coach'? Because, as far as I know, won't that give him more power over the first team affairs? Or are both titles the same these days?

the man himself says he's a manager that coaches.....

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Hi mate. Nice to see you in different circumstances! ? 

Same old, same old I'm afraid Fordy. I will give my total support to the guy in charge because i want the very best for Bristol City. The king is dead - long live the king, seems to be totally reasonable in the circumstances.  I hope he signs up and saves our bacon!

4 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Does anyone think Pearson may insist he becomes the 'manager' as opposed to 'head coach'? Because, as far as I know, won't that give him more power over the first team affairs? Or are both titles the same these days?

Head coach now, potential for conversion to manager role if he stays on.

22 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Will be interesting for sure. Would also of been interesting to see if this mess would of transpired in the first place if we had appointed someone of Pearson’s standing last summer rather than a joke manager with no experience or credentials.

for me the injury situation can’t be all bad luck. Much of it is on the medical staff and the manager who rushed players back too soon and is responsible for what happens at training where loads of these injuries occurred.

If Pearson was here in January I’m pretty sure he would of demanded a left back as well.

3 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

the man himself says he's a manager that coaches.....

Does it really matter. So much fake news about Ashton our CEO, the board and owner.  The fact is SL as owner always had final say and signs off signings...  supports the wishes of HC & CEO.  

No doubt NP or who whoever it is will continue in same vein. The fact of the matter is they will all need a good working relationship.  Simple really. Cannot see much changing in how we actually operate with NP at the helm. 

Archived