IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

24 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

275/1 for a side that hasn't scored in over 7 hours of football and has made losing compulsory yet you think that brilliant value?

As they say ' When The Fun Stops - Stop!'

I'd be interested as to what Villa's odds were at this point of the season for the year they won the play offs, after 34 games Villa were 13th and 11 points off the play offs. Yes much better squad but still it was a massive task.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

It sounds like Pearson is very much the father figure style of manager; he’s caring, supportive but also a firm hand when lines are crossed.

I personally think our young squad will respond to that. 

They've all got a chance to respond Mozo. If they do I'm sure NP will get more from them than we've seen of late. If they don't it will be because either they're deemed not good enough by a Manager who knows the standards required for success at this level, or they don't want to be here. It will be an interesting process to witness whatever the outcome. In NP we trust. COYR

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Ashton moved fast, decisively and SL has backed the appointment with good money, we presume. Nothing new, both top men and hoping NP lives up to the expectation; save us this season and prepare the club for better things next season.

Should keep this forum less full of whingers and gas for a while - well Saturday at least

Good on him if he did, however I have a sneaking suspicion that he did so as a result of SL’s boot being metaphorically directed at his backside. I get the feeling it was  more like SL stepped in, told MA what he wanted and told him to make it happen. Would be interesting to know how much SL was involved in convincing NP to come here.  If MA achieved this on his own initiative then he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

For what it’s worth, Ive always suspected that things started to go downhill during GJ’s time when SL moved to Guernsey and was no longer “just down the corridor” from the manager, on a day to day basis, although I know there are some who felt that he got to involved in team matters at that time. There must be  a different mentality and motivation when you are responsible for running the club (MA) as to when your money is running the club (SL). 

SL has shown he is prepared to be patient and back his managers/coaches, but it is good to see that he is also prepared to act decisively when his patience is exhausted.

22 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good on him if he did, however I have a sneaking suspicion that he did so as a result of SL’s boot being metaphorically directed at his backside. I get the feeling it was  more like SL stepped in, told MA what he wanted and told him to make it happen. Would be interesting to know how much SL was involved in convincing NP to come here.  If MA achieved this on his own initiative then he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

For what it’s worth, Ive always suspected that things started to go downhill during GJ’s time when SL moved to Guernsey and was no longer “just down the corridor” from the manager, on a day to day basis, although I know there are some who felt that he got to involved in team matters at that time. There must be  a different mentality and motivation when you are responsible for running the club (MA) as to when your money is running the club (SL). 

SL has shown he is prepared to be patient and back his managers/coaches, but it is good to see that he is also prepared to act decisively when his patience is exhausted.

Spot on, it's a great appointment by SL & Pearson will unite the club like Gary Johnson did when he was appointed. And he's a much higher calibre manager. 

Only Ashton can spoil that if he doesn't give Pearson the autonomy he will demand. If that happens Pearson will leave in May.

I think it time to search for a more cost effective CEO, paying Ashton £50k per month for a reduced role is excessive.

We're extremely fortunate to have the Lansdown's as owners. 

I’m still stunned by his appointment, in a positive way of course. But it’s very, very different from our norm and about time. 

I like LJ but I felt we wasted years on that ‘Project’ which looking back wasn’t ever likely to work. I hope SL has got that experiment out of his system and will leave Pearson to be his own man.

Have we ever had a more experienced manager, I can’t think of anyone relatively recently?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've mentioned before on here that I know the journalist that was infamously called an ostrich by Pearson.

I have spoken with him and he thinks Pearson is a great appointment for us. He still rates Pearson as one of the best English managers around and reaffirmed that most players absolutely love playing for him. 

Also confirmed that he is not a manager that will rant and rave, far more likely to put an arm around ones that need it and get the best out of them. 

As documented by a number of his previous players.

Just now, RedM said:

I’m still stunned by his appointment, in a positive way of course. But it’s very, very different from our norm and about time. 

I like LJ but I felt we wasted years on that ‘Project’ which looking back wasn’t ever likely to work. I hope SL has got that experiment out of his system and will leave Pearson to be his own man.

Have we ever had a more experienced manager, I can’t think of anyone relatively recently?

Thats what I thought but someone mentioned Coppell who I would have to give it to in terms of being a big name and possibly experience at the time. So for his one game I would say him.

Pearson was my first choice so I am very positive about this too (for once) and trying to stop myself from getting carried away, it almost makes you forget we have lost our last 7. ?

52 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Clearly SL has taken direct control after the 6-0, and has made several decisive and correct decisions. A timely reminder that this guy is not a soft touch but a ruthlessly successful individual who originally made it on his own from nothing. No advisors or hangers on. 

MA was there for Barnsley but we have not heard from him, in stark contrast to his starring role in sacking LJ and over the summer. For a man who likes to project an image of executive control that is very unusual. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s currently on gardening leave and will soon be quietly announced that he’s left the club.

14 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Thats what I thought but someone mentioned Coppell who I would have to give it to in terms of being a big name and possibly experience at the time. So for his one game I would say him.

Pearson was my first choice so I am very positive about this too (for once) and trying to stop myself from getting carried away, it almost makes you forget we have lost our last 7. ?

I forgot about Coppell, but then again he was gone in a blink so almost doesn’t count. The only other one I would mention is Danny Wilson having managed in the Premiership maybe?

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Exactly.  To @Hampshire Red - just cast your mind back 7/8 months and a vigorous recruitment process ran by MA and JL (albeit SL involved in ultimate interviews according to Kid), and try to imagine how the people tasked with that process, came up with Holden, can now come up with Pearson?  As pointed out, this has heavy-SL input.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've mentioned before on here that I know the journalist that was infamously called an ostrich by Pearson.

I have spoken with him and he thinks Pearson is a great appointment for us. He still rates Pearson as one of the best English managers around and reaffirmed that most players absolutely love playing for him. 

Also confirmed that he is not a manager that will rant and rave, far more likely to put an arm around ones that need it and get the best out of them. 

Good to hear, I’ve said a few times I don’t think any players will be “shitting themselves”, I think they’ll be hugely excited to work with someone so good

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

275/1 for a side that hasn't scored in over 7 hours of football and has made losing compulsory yet you think that brilliant value?

As they say ' When The Fun Stops - Stop!'

STOP PRESS !!

City have new a new proven manager so not scoring in over 7 hours of football isn't massively relevant. I think its value and you don't. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  To @Hampshire Red - just cast your mind back 7/8 months and a vigorous recruitment process ran by MA and JL (albeit SL involved in ultimate interviews according to Kid), and try to imagine how the people tasked with that process, came up with Holden, can now come up with Pearson?  As pointed out, this has heavy-SL input.

Have you watched his appointment press conference at Derby? Can't see there being any chance that Pearson and Ashton could work together long term. Pearson demands a much wider brief than just Head Coach - someone is going to have to budge. This appt is all SL in my eyes.

19 minutes ago, Chrisbc said:

Have you watched his appointment press conference at Derby? Can't see there being any chance that Pearson and Ashton could work together long term. Pearson demands a much wider brief than just Head Coach - someone is going to have to budge. This appt is all SL in my eyes.

Exactimundo.

Archived