IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

Longer version of his Ostrich thing. Includes apology and a little bit of context.

His debate with Pat Murphy is also fairly interesting.

One more.

Thing I take from this is that he will always back his players to the hilt (publicly anyway). Always- I wonder if some of these media run-ins are a diversionary tactic after a match that hasn't gone so well- these were after disappointing results.

Greetings all, Leicester City fan in peace

Congratulations on the win last night. As a lifelong supporter of Leicester I have to say, big Nige is still my favourite manager in our history - even over Martin O'Neill, Ranieri, and Brendan Rodgers (although this is close!). He absolutely turned us around in our only season in League One and in his second stint did a great job of getting rid of the overrated overpaid players in our squad, and basically did all the hard work that paved the way for us to win the PL in 2015-16. Not just the work ethic, and tactics (which isn't necessarily his strongest point), but a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff that most people don't hear about, like his sports science background (implementing cryotherapy chambers to aid recovery) and ensuring the playing squad had a devoted personal trainer and dietician each. A lot of little things that ended up making a big difference with regards to fitness and morale.

The only trouble is he needs time to implement his ideas and build an effective squad - don't expect a huge upturn in fortunes right away, but with a bit of luck you'll meet your targets this season and give Nige a proper contract in the summer. Please disregard his stint at Derby, it's pretty obvious that their ******** owner was trying to interfere with NP's duties which is why that didn't work out. And no one seems to really know why he was binned from Watford - they looked a far more solid unit under his leadership, and I have no doubt that he'd have got a result needed to keep them up last season if he was kept on.

PS. it's not all ostriches and stranglings - he gives some terrible post-match interviews when things aren't going well, but almost always his priority is taking the pressure off the team after a poor display

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Longer version of his Ostrich thing. Includes apology and a little bit of context.

One more.

Thing I take from this is that he will always back his players to the hilt (publicly anyway). Always- I wonder if some of these media run-ins are a diversionary tactic after a match that hasn't gone so well- these were after disappointing results.

I like him even more so after watching these clips.  In the politest possible term: we need a ***** managing us - not some media friendly soundbite that will tow the line. 

21 hours ago, RedM said:

Have we ever had a more experienced manager, I can’t think of anyone relatively recently?

My first City manager was Alan Dicks. 

Pretty sure NP, at going on 58, is the oldest manager at time of appointment in my time.

Lennartsson, Coppell, Lumsden, Gary Johnson, Denis Smith all younger.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One more.

Wow that 2nd video is amazing. He is just very self-assured and confident, not really rattled by anything. Or if he is rattled, he has the self control to still consider his thoughts and speak slowly. If I was a player I'd love to have him defending me as my manager. What a person to have on your side.

Pearson is definitely one you'd want in your corner.

As others said he was so controlled in those Press Conferences, especially the debate with Pat Murphy (who I consider a good reporter in any event).

I expect he isn't someone who will throw players under the bus publicly at all.

(I've not seen or read about it yet but am assuming today's is/was an altogether more sedate affair).

7 hours ago, Friendly Fox said:

Greetings all, Leicester City fan in peace

Congratulations on the win last night. As a lifelong supporter of Leicester I have to say, big Nige is still my favourite manager in our history - even over Martin O'Neill, Ranieri, and Brendan Rodgers (although this is close!). He absolutely turned us around in our only season in League One and in his second stint did a great job of getting rid of the overrated overpaid players in our squad, and basically did all the hard work that paved the way for us to win the PL in 2015-16. Not just the work ethic, and tactics (which isn't necessarily his strongest point), but a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff that most people don't hear about, like his sports science background (implementing cryotherapy chambers to aid recovery) and ensuring the playing squad had a devoted personal trainer and dietician each. A lot of little things that ended up making a big difference with regards to fitness and morale.

The only trouble is he needs time to implement his ideas and build an effective squad - don't expect a huge upturn in fortunes right away, but with a bit of luck you'll meet your targets this season and give Nige a proper contract in the summer. Please disregard his stint at Derby, it's pretty obvious that their ******** owner was trying to interfere with NP's duties which is why that didn't work out. And no one seems to really know why he was binned from Watford - they looked a far more solid unit under his leadership, and I have no doubt that he'd have got a result needed to keep them up last season if he was kept on.

PS. it's not all ostriches and stranglings - he gives some terrible post-match interviews when things aren't going well, but almost always his priority is taking the pressure off the team after a poor display

Thanks for posting. 
How does NP like to set up . I’ve seen he likes 4231 , is that right .Does his teams play attractive attacking football or a more pragmatic style ? 

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thanks for posting. 
How does NP like to set up . I’ve seen he likes 4231 , is that right .Does his teams play attractive attacking football or a more pragmatic style ? 

With us it was mostly attacking 4-4-2, with his standout season with us (2013-14) having David Nugent as the main striker and Vardy off him. Took a long time for us to find our feet first season back in Prem and he dabbled with a 4-3-3, and a midfield diamond (that didn't work, and it did take him a while to realise) - once he went back to basics and we went more attacking, that's when we had our great escape. I'll be honest and say I didn't really analyse any team he's been with since - and without Craig Shakespeare as his assistant it might be different now - but he'll 100% get the best out of the players who do want to be at Bristol City.

Ive not seen this before, so apologies if its a repeat, but the more I see of this bloke, the more optimistic I feel

(172) UNMISSABLE BEHIND THE SCENES DRESSING ROOM ACCESS | NIGEL PEARSON'S FIRST DAY - YouTube

and this (172) “I ALMOST MISSED THE CALL!” | NIGEL PEARSON'S FIRST WATFORD INTERVIEW - YouTube

I really enjoyed his interview with the club. He's clearly an intellectual man. He has an interest in History (as shown by his ideal 3 dinner guests).

Whilst I think we all enjoyed Holden's interview on SOTC with Twentyman back in August, it felt different. That sounded like a decent bloke who was going to give it his all. Pearson's interview sounded like a proven expert in his field who was realistic yet positive. He doesn't speak for the sake of speaking, and refreshingly barely any clichés or corporate speak. 

The general feeling post Holden on SOTC seemed to be 'he seems like a really good guy, I hope he does well for us'. The overriding mood on Pearson seems to be 'I know he can do well for us, we have to give him ability to do so'. That's very refreshing. Also, I liked how he didn't want to dwell too much on our 'potential' and actually wants to realise it instead of talking about it. 

Assuming things go well, I can see his interviews and press conferences being really interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really enjoyed his interview with the club. He's clearly an intellectual man. He has an interest in History (as shown by his ideal 3 dinner guests).

Whilst I think we all enjoyed Holden's interview on SOTC with Twentyman back in August, it felt different. That sounded like a decent bloke who was going to give it his all. Pearson's interview sounded like a proven expert in his field who was realistic yet positive. He doesn't speak for the sake of speaking, and refreshingly barely any clichés or corporate speak. 

The general feeling post Holden on SOTC seemed to be 'he seems like a really good guy, I hope he does well for us'. The overriding mood on Pearson seems to be 'I know he can do well for us, we have to give him ability to do so'. That's very refreshing. Also, I liked how he didn't want to dwell too much on our 'potential' and actually wants to realise it instead of talking about it. 

Assuming things go well, I can see his interviews and press conferences being really interesting. 

Got a degree in History from the OU.

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Also, I liked how he didn't want to dwell too much on our 'potential' and actually wants to realise it instead of talking about it.

I felt this was the most (dare I say) exciting part of the interview, coupled somewhat with his probably less than effusive for some response to the “will you play kids?”-type question, which I felt was logical and pragmatic (basically; I play the best players for both the situation and the player, so throwing young ones in during a rough patch may be unwise).

Realistically, this appointment is as much about Pearson deciding if WE are really all-in on progressing as much as it is the club seeing if he fits with us.

I can only imagine that if he feels his ability to take what he clearly believes is a club with a good set up further is held back by the structure, he’ll not be here for long, so for me it is just as important the club identity how help him realise our potential than it is for us to see how he does.

On 23/02/2021 at 13:02, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  To @Hampshire Red - just cast your mind back 7/8 months and a vigorous recruitment process ran by MA and JL (albeit SL involved in ultimate interviews according to Kid), and try to imagine how the people tasked with that process, came up with Holden, can now come up with Pearson?  As pointed out, this has heavy-SL input.

I do wonder if Holden was only ever a temp manager in the eyes of SL.   A (hopefully) safe pair of hands for 1 season.  Then you have: finished training ground, stadium, academy players playing in 1st team.  And most importantly a lot of players OOC in the summer. 

If you were trying to make a club attractive to a 'project' manager.  That is surely about as good as it could get?

Is there a read up somewhere of Pearson’s style of play? It seems like we’ve brought in another defensive style manager to keep us up. This might suit Pearson more than his time at Derby/Watford but I wonder if fans have fully prepared themselves for a continuation of unattractive football?

Not that I’m suggesting the club should haven’t hired someone to change the style of play mid-way through a slump in confidence. 

19 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Is there a read up somewhere of Pearson’s style of play? It seems like we’ve brought in another defensive style manager to keep us up. This might suit Pearson more than his time at Derby/Watford but I wonder if fans have fully prepared themselves for a continuation of unattractive football?

Not that I’m suggesting the club should haven’t hired someone to change the style of play mid-way through a slump in confidence. 

He said he’s flexible, doesn’t have a preferred system, in fact gets annoyed when people suggest he plays a certain way.

Pearson has been complementary about the club in interviews, although Im sure many will say he would say that wouldn’t.

However, perhaps NP realises that there is likely to be massive financial fallout as a consequence of the pandemic and a stable club, with a good owner willing and able to support the club and back the manager, is the place to be when the financial 5h1t hit the fan.

From his interviews, although he’s obviously taking nothing for granted, I get the distinct impression that he (NP) wants to be here beyond the end of the season.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

From his interviews, although he’s obviously taking nothing for granted, I get the distinct impression that he (NP) wants to be here beyond the end of the season.

I get that feeling too, I have the impression that he thinks he can change this club over the next year or so and challenge at the top end of this division.

I wouldn't put it past him either..

Archived