IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Dolman Block B

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really enjoyed his interview with the club. He's clearly an intellectual man. He has an interest in History (as shown by his ideal 3 dinner guests).

Whilst I think we all enjoyed Holden's interview on SOTC with Twentyman back in August, it felt different. That sounded like a decent bloke who was going to give it his all. Pearson's interview sounded like a proven expert in his field who was realistic yet positive. He doesn't speak for the sake of speaking, and refreshingly barely any clichés or corporate speak. 

The general feeling post Holden on SOTC seemed to be 'he seems like a really good guy, I hope he does well for us'. The overriding mood on Pearson seems to be 'I know he can do well for us, we have to give him ability to do so'. That's very refreshing. Also, I liked how he didn't want to dwell too much on our 'potential' and actually wants to realise it instead of talking about it. 

Assuming things go well, I can see his interviews and press conferences being really interesting. 

Brilliantly put. ?

17 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Is there a read up somewhere of Pearson’s style of play? It seems like we’ve brought in another defensive style manager to keep us up. This might suit Pearson more than his time at Derby/Watford but I wonder if fans have fully prepared themselves for a continuation of unattractive football?

Not that I’m suggesting the club should haven’t hired someone to change the style of play mid-way through a slump in confidence. 

Ive never thought of him as a defensive manager. 83 goals and+40GD the last time he managed a full Championship season. Not quite Holden's 90 but that'll do. 

On 25/02/2021 at 17:50, M.D said:

I get that feeling too, I have the impression that he thinks he can change this club over the next year or so and challenge at the top end of this division.

I wouldn't put it past him either..

He’s done a pretty good job in the first week!!!

Let’s remember we are down to the bare minimum of first team playing staff, with kids on the bench.NP will have to assess the injured players first. Next step (with Ashton) trim the squad. 3rd step bring players in with a large deficit of at least £10 million hanging over us.. When he’s done all that ,he made decide we can make a bid for promotion. Easy Job Management!

Here’s a conundrum.

Many fans seem to feel that Ashton is a root cause of many of our recent problems and would like him gone. What if he (MA) and Pearson get on like a house on fire, and quickly develop a good working relationship and see eye to eye on issues such as transfer policy, but then Ashton is tempted away by the Ipswich situation.  How would fans then feel if Pearson was then not prepared to stay long term due to the unknown quantity that a new CEO would bring?

Many see MA leaving as being the catalyst for Pearson staying, but what if MA staying was that catalyst?

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Here’s a conundrum.

Many fans seem to feel that Ashton is a root cause of many of our recent problems and would like him gone. What if he (MA) and Pearson get on like a house on fire, and quickly develop a good working relationship and see eye to eye on issues such as transfer policy, but then Ashton is tempted away by the Ipswich situation.  How would fans then feel if Pearson was then not prepared to stay long term due to the unknown quantity that a new CEO would bring?

Many see MA leaving as being the catalyst for Pearson staying, but what if MA staying was that catalyst?

Much as I don’t like MA, I’ve always said I don’t think everything bad at BCFC is his fault.  My biggest criticism has been recruitment....and I think him and LJ were a bad combo.

18 hours ago, downendcity said:

Here’s a conundrum.

I strongly suspect NP would be OK if MA left.  He seems able to cope with most things

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

I strongly suspect NP would be OK if MA left.  He seems able to cope with most things

Not suggesting he wouldn't, but if MA were to leave, when it comes to NP's feelings about his day to day boss, might there be an element of "better the devil you know"? 

MA executes the orders of the Owner and Directors. He at the very least has and continues to be decisive. Hence a wonderful working Stadium. Training ground and staff.He’s done more to modernise the club than any of his predecessors. He may feel another challenge awaits, if he goes,he will be a hard act to follow.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not suggesting he wouldn't, but if MA were to leave, when it comes to NP's feelings about his day to day boss, might there be an element of "better the devil you know"? 

Perhaps, but I suspect if we wanted another person similar to Ashton or in more of a DoF type role we may ask Pearson to help pick. If we see him as a long term manager then it would be a prudent thing to do and Pearson no doubt has his own network which contains some suitable candidates. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

MA executes the orders of the Owner and Directors. He at the very least has and continues to be decisive. Hence a wonderful working Stadium. Training ground and staff.He’s done more to modernise the club than any of his predecessors. He may feel another challenge awaits, if he goes,he will be a hard act to follow.

The stadium has nothing to do with MA  that’s down to bristol sport / Mark Kelly I think his name is & the separate stadium company itself. Rebuild started long before he came to the club 

20 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Morning Mark.

20 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

Thanks for your input Mark.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I get that.   Wasn't meaning to suggest otherwise.

But I think that NP has rocked up to Ashton Gate on his own.  He has not (yet) demanded his back room staff are shipped in.

He (apprarently) has listened to Tins about fielding youngsters on the bench.  

So it would appear to me that NP is happy to work with whoever and give them a chance.

Yes they may get on live a house on fire, but if MA were to leave, I would have thought the NP would be OK working with whoever comes in.  Plus NP may well have some input on MA replacement?

Either way, I'm not worried about MA staying of going

Archived