Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

41 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We appointed Steve Coppell after GJ...

If you mean we should have rewarded GJ with the sack after an amazing season, then you are off your head 

With due respect I disagree with this - I believe that when every club gets promoted they release players that they think cannot perform adequately at the new, higher level. But they never seem to do the same with managers. When Cotts took us up from league one after that amazing season in 2014/2015 I immediately said, and posted on here, that we should have given him the bonus he so genuinely deserved and told him “thanks Steve, but you aren’t a championship manager, so cheers for what you did for us in league one, here’s a huge amount of money to show our appreciation, but we are gonna find an experienced, successful, proven manager at this level to take us forward...” - but we didn’t do that ... just because managers take us out of league one, why do people think they can automatically be successful at the level above? Players are released, managers aren’t - but you think people with that mindset are ‘off their head’ ?! 😳

• Confused 3
9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He's tough, but from what I've read of him and interviews I've seen he's a very intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate man - the idea of him being the sort of bloke who just goes mental at everyone isn't accurate at all imo (I know it's mostly just a bit of fun)

Well put. 

Going mental or not, he will not suffer fools, and I reckon we have a few of them right now. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not that I believe it, but his LinkedIn profile still states he was a director at WBA from 1990 to 2004 ...

Director of the Community Programme I believe.....but like when I worked with Bank of America on a Currency Direct Debit Scheme, they were all Vice-President this and that.  As you will see from Companies House link, not a director in the truest sense.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, cityexile said:

With 15 games with him in charge, I just cannot see us going down.

Gives him a chance to look at the club, the structure, the players and see at the end of the season if he fancies it.

Agree, pretty much the perfect appointment, has a good track record, knows The Championship, is available immediately & a reputation for not taking any nonsense.

He has enough time left to make decisions on those out of contract if he stays on & provided we get the required points to stay up can experiment in the last few games.

As for Simpson & Downing staying on, time will tell, Pearson’s regular assistant (Craig Shakespeare) is now on Villa’s coaching team, so may not be keen to join, but if Pearson is in charge next season I would not be too surprised to see his own man alongside him by then.

• Like 2
Just now, TomThumb84 said:

Assuming all this is true and fingers crossed it is, what do we all think the interview was like and how was it held?

Virtually? SL only?

At the Gate? Mark Ashton?

One stage only? 

On Zoom with MA, SL and JL.

MA was hiding behind his chair though, crying every time Pearson answered a question with just the occasional “yes, Steve” whimper. 

• Haha 2
Just now, Davefevs said:

Director of the Community Programme I believe.....but like when I worked with Bank of America on a Currency Direct Debit Scheme, they were all Vice-President this and that.  As you will see from Companies House link, not a director in the truest sense.

So more evidence that he’s a fraud, cheers for the clarification Dave and you @NickJ - his choice of ties has always made me think that anyway (🤓😳) let’s hope the way SL has been more vocal this time means his time with us is up - and let’s hope the Ipswich Town rumours are true! Cheers ... 🍷

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With due respect I disagree with this - I believe that when every club gets promoted they release players that they think cannot perform adequately at the new, higher level. But they never seem to do the same with managers. When Cotts took us up from league one after that amazing season in 2014/2015 I immediately said, and posted on here, that we should have given him the bonus he so genuinely deserved and told him “thanks Steve, but you aren’t a championship manager, so cheers for what you did for us in league one, here’s a huge amount of money to show our appreciation, but we are gonna find an experienced, successful, proven manager at this level to take us forward...” - but we didn’t do that ... just because managers take us out of league one, why do people think they can automatically be successful at the level above? Players are released, managers aren’t - but you think people with that mindset are ‘off their head’ ?! 😳

From memory, didn’t Southampton do that with Adkins?

1 minute ago, Richard Head said:

From memory, didn’t Southampton do that with Adkins?

They did, he took Saints from league one to the premier league in two seasons and they then replaced him with Pochettino - ruthless but fair in the modern football world - no room for sentiment 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, One Team said:

On Zoom with MA, SL and JL.

MA was hiding behind his chair though, crying every time Pearson answered a question with just the occasional “yes, Steve” whimper. 

Zoom. Pearson probably organised it and sent the invites out.

“Afternoon everyone” simultaneously putting Ashton on mute.

SL - “Afternoon Nigel, this will be the start of a 6 week vigorous process as I am told that is the best way to go about appointing a human”

NP - “I’ll do it until the end of the season Steve, see what happens”

SL - “OK, thanks”

Easy.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
8 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Assuming all this is true and fingers crossed it is, what do we all think the interview was like and how was it held?

Virtually? SL only?

At the Gate? Mark Ashton?

One stage only? 

I think it was quite clear from Lansdown’s recent interviews that he was angry and was taking personal control of this. 
I’d guess he was hoping that the caretakers could at least hold the fort for a couple of weeks whilst he allowed Ashton to collate some applications, but yesterday’s game was evidence enough for him to say “right, move over everyone, I’m on this”. 

Steve is clearly pissed off. And that’s a good thing. Because if he’s pissed off and angry, he’ll sit up and take action. 

I’d put a lot of money on the ‘process’ being swiftly cast aside at 4:45pm yesterday and Steve was immediately on the phone to Pearson last night. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

He will also have Mariappa to input may be prior but also after on playing problems as togerther at Watford

I posted on twitter he managed Weimann and Martin....other than Mariappa, the only links I could find.  Although he loaned Martin to Fulham, he can at least sound out the two injured players for impartiality.

I did wonder whether Simpson cut across his time at Carlisle, but that doesn’t align, nor did the stint coaching at Derby.  Downing’s West Brom stint doesn’t appear to align either, nor Ashton’s thank duck.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I think it was quite clear from Lansdown’s recent interviews that he was angry and was taking personal control of this. 
I’d guess he was hoping that the caretakers could at least hold the fort for a couple of weeks whilst he allowed Ashton to collate some applications, but yesterday’s game was evidence enough for him to say “right, move over everyone, I’m on this”. 

Steve is clearly pissed off. And that’s a good thing. Because if he’s pissed off and angry, he’ll sit up and take action. 

I’d put a lot of money on the ‘process’ being swiftly cast aside at 4:45pm yesterday and Steve was immediately on the phone to Pearson last night. 

100% as I see it too.

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Guardian is reporting they will be retained.

Assume thats just so he can assess all staff members around the first team, decide who he'd want to retain and changes can be made over the summer if he stays on. Could be he likes Simpson and/or Downing and would want them to stay on as a coach even if he brought in an assistant 

5 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Zoom. Pearson probably organised it and sent the invites out.

“Afternoon everyone” simultaneously putting Ashton on mute.

MA ‘You have no authority here! Read the Standing Orders and understand them’.

JL “What...he’s just kicked MA out of the Zoom meeting’.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
  • Flames 2

Short term initially...with view to long term..

He will have something to work with, he will see and be aware of the top rate facilities, he will be aware (according to SL) that we are in a good position with regards to FFP in summer, therefore have some freedom to identify and get in the right people...they will all target...  reasons for optimism..at last

• Like 2

He’ll want Chris Powell I reckon. I think he’s free at the moment? 
Obviously Shakespeare is his main man. We’ll wait for the summer to get him 😂

Get Steve Walsh back from Carolina as well. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If, we do employ Pearson as our manager, it will give us a reasonable chance of surviving in the Championship. There are isn't any guarantee but we must now be as positive as we expect the players to be.

I am sure someone can find it faster than me but as I recall Mick took over Cardiff when they were at least 10 PTS off the play offs. Talk of City struggling as opposed to turning this around quickly are premature. Pearson most certainly has the ability to get City flying and I don't mean next season. OK, certain stars have to align not least our forwards but it's possible. Nobody better to take the reins right now in my view.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

🤣 Couldn't help but laugh at this!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted on twitter he managed Weimann and Martin....other than Mariappa, the only links I could find.  Although he loaned Martin to Fulham, he can at least sound out the two injured players for impartiality.

I did wonder whether Simpson cut across his time at Carlisle, but that doesn’t align, nor did the stint coaching at Derby.  Downing’s West Brom stint doesn’t appear to align either, nor Ashton’s thank duck.

100% as I see it too.

I just listened to the interview you shared and he's a really smart bloke isn't he?! Very articulate and philosophical.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Harry said:

In a funny way yesterday’s result could prove one of the more useful in our recent history! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, if you’re really ‘The Moose’ then it will be incorrect - an absolute nightmare of a sports reporter, cannot even read a script without tripping over words and slurring, and has zero knowledge of anything regarding football, just makes himself constantly look like a clown who won a competition to be a sports reporter for a day - how he has remained employed with zero ability, knowledge or prowess is beyond me and many others 

We're doomed!

So excited for this. He is the perfect antidote for so many of the mistakes we have made as a club, both in the hierarchy and some of the players.

I am hoping the reason it is initially until the end of the season is it gets him in quicker, and can save the more detailed long-term contract negotiations until later. I am a little worried that at the end of the season Pearson will turn round and say "wow what a basket case of a club, I'm out!"

Hopefully we will do well in this last couple of months, and SL will just throw whatever money it takes at him to make him stay.

Honestly, I've been a fan of City since 2004 (peanuts compared to some of you I know!) but this is the most excited I've been for a manager. Finally we are looking UP THE LEAGUE for a manager rather than down!!

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness Ska , and I know that still is doing the rounds , but he was sat there shouting at that moment , that’s why his mouth is open on the still 

It's only a joke guys, does look bad though.

image.png.ce000f65ce8981526418b8dd6254cdfc.png

• TomF changed the title to Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season