Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll want Chris Powell I reckon. I think he’s free at the moment? 
Obviously Shakespeare is his main man. We’ll wait for the summer to get him 😂

Get Steve Walsh back from Carolina as well. 

You been reading my Twitter?

1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

So excited for this. He is the perfect antidote for so many of the mistakes we have made as a club, both in the hierarchy and some of the players.

I am hoping the reason it is initially until the end of the season is it gets him in quicker, and can save the more detailed long-term contract negotiations until later. I am a little worried that at the end of the season Pearson will turn round and say "wow what a basket case of a club, I'm out!"

Hopefully we will do well in this last couple of months, and SL will just throw whatever money it takes at him to make him stay.

Honestly, I've been a fan of City since 2004 (peanuts compared to some of you I know!) but this is the most excited I've been for a manager. Finally we are looking UP THE LEAGUE for a manager rather than down!!

2004 ?  Get some in :cool:

I watch Under the Cosh on YouTube and the players that have worked under Pearson have all said what a top bloke he is to work for. You give your all and he gives it back. A great appointment if it comes off. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll want Chris Powell I reckon. I think he’s free at the moment? 
Obviously Shakespeare is his main man. We’ll wait for the summer to get him 😂

Get Steve Walsh back from Carolina as well. 

Isn’t Chris Powell in the England set up? I am sure I have seen him on the bench for the senior team but could be mistaken

58 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Don't want to detract from the anticipation but his managerial record shows a few jobs where he was only in post for a matter of months.

I like him.  But is he really a long term appointment???

...or is this a panic move?

Have you not seen where we are in the league? Granted we're 10 points off the playoffs, but also 10 off relegation. Have you seen the results? Performances? Caretaker managers falling asleep on the sidelines?

Panic? I bloody well hope so!!

36 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The Guardian has a track record for typos, so it could well be "they will be detained"

Could be retrained.....

18 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

According to the Guardian article the most important part is that it is a short-term contract with a view to a longer deal

This pleases me immensely 🙂

With an appointment like this on a short term deal (providing it happens) you would hope that they would also talk longer term as well. As others have said, if he likes what he sees and hears, he could effectively start rebuilding in the summer and making it his team. Also gives him leverage with a contract.

With a manager like him, not only will he have preferred backroom staff, but maybe even preferred players to turn to. Also to any potential new signings in the summer - new ground, new training facilities, a manager with a proven track record that won't be in it just for the money - suddenly we're attractive again and get a better pick of players to choose from.....

Fingers crossed this all happens, as it really could be the beginning of something really good.

Dammit I'm sensing something which could be optimism.....

You watch Ashton unveil the Cowley Brothers tomorrow now :whistle:

• Like 1

I'm feeling a lot more cheerful at this news.  I really hope we will be seeing Mr Pearson on the roof tomorrow.

An excellent appointment for both him and us, I feel.  I don't think he's the type to put up with any messing around and will expect 100% from all around him (and also the type to give 100% in return).

Great news if true.

• Like 1

Anyone know if he was on the club's radar last August when DH was appointed full time? He'd been sacked as Watford Manager before the end of last season so he was available. Apologies if already answered. Lots of pages to go through. 

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness Ska , and I know that still is doing the rounds , but he was sat there shouting at that moment , that’s why his mouth is open on the still 

Indeed, I remember it specifically - he was shouting "Antoine", trying to get him back into shape when Barnsley were in possession (possibly a throw in in front of the dug outs)

6 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Who is she?

Dunno, ask Shaggy. 

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Anyone know if he was on the club's radar last August when DH was appointed full time? He'd been sacked as Watford Manager before the end of last season so he was available. Apologies if already answered. Lots of pages to go through. 

He was pretty badly ill with covid over the summer I think

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

In my lifetime we’ve appointed two managers who I thought in time could get City back in top division

Coppell was , ironically , one

Pearson now the second 

I always thought Dennis Smith was a 'big name' at the time. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

No-one was really on the clubs radar other than Dean Holden, we just had to go through a melodramatic 6 week pantomime to give it a semblance of credibility.

Ironically the opposite was achieved.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, The Batman said:

I reckon he may be one of the guys that Lansdown mentioned the other day - he said wanted to interview a couple now that he couldn’t before due their circumstances. Pearson had a long bout of Covid so potentially he was still recuperating when we were interviewing for LJ’s replacement. 

The thing I love about Pearson is that he's no fool.

Sure theres a bit of old skool about him, but he's not afraid to embrace new ideas or tech.

The best thing though is his ability to see through chancers.

He WILL know within 2 weeks who wants to play for the shirt and who's there blagging a living.

Those players will be gone from the 1st team.

It could be quite a list

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With due respect I disagree with this - I believe that when every club gets promoted they release players that they think cannot perform adequately at the new, higher level. But they never seem to do the same with managers. When Cotts took us up from league one after that amazing season in 2014/2015 I immediately said, and posted on here, that we should have given him the bonus he so genuinely deserved and told him “thanks Steve, but you aren’t a championship manager, so cheers for what you did for us in league one, here’s a huge amount of money to show our appreciation, but we are gonna find an experienced, successful, proven manager at this level to take us forward...” - but we didn’t do that ... just because managers take us out of league one, why do people think they can automatically be successful at the level above? Players are released, managers aren’t - but you think people with that mindset are ‘off their head’ ?! 😳

Kind of agree. But with GJ, we had been expected to face a relegation battle and instead we were one game away from the prem, he had done a miraculous job at that point 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

The thing I love about Pearson is that he's no fool.

Sure theres a bit of old skool about him, but he's not afraid to embrace new ideas or tech.

The best thing though is his ability to see through chancers.

He WILL know within 2 weeks who wants to play for the shirt and who's there blagging a living.

Those players will be gone from the 1st team.

It could be quite a list

Can't see Diedhiou or Paterson getting another game.

He needs to have a chat with the skipper..

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
1 minute ago, ChubStixx said:

Nigel Pearson was in charge of Carlisle when Jimmy Glass did what he did back in 1999!

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/993807958080475137?s=20

He signed Jimmy Glass on loan from our Wiltshire cousins - and that was Jimmy Glass’ last touch of a ball for the Cumbrians - what a story!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He signed Jimmy Glass on loan from our Wiltshire cousins - and that was Jimmy Glass’ last touch of a ball for the Cumbrians - what a story!

Emergency loan too....because they didn’t have a fit keeper.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Every fan should be aware of this football fairytale. Legendary stuff.

Edited by ChubStixx
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Redstart said:

Not so sure about Fam, with a quality coach and a driven team formation that would suit him I could see Fam stepping up to the job. 

Why hasn't he stepped up already ?

• Robin 1
35 minutes ago, cityexile said:

MA ‘You have no authority here! Read the Standing Orders and understand them’.

JL “What...he’s just kicked MA out of the Zoom meeting’.

Classic. Absolute classic 😁😁😁 Well done that man. 

• TomF changed the title to Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season