Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for his first meeting with Ashton in addition...suspect the latter will be put in his place somewhat, will be let know what's what! (Unpopular view but I think he has his uses on the commercial side- but he must stick to that!)

This is the crux of the issue Pop. If NP is appointed he needs to be allowed to get on with the management of team affairs without unnecessary interference. If the status quo of recent years is maintained it could easily be a short reign, with a "we told you so" outcome, leading to the inevitable appointment of another human who can "fit in". We will soon see.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

This is the crux of the issue Pop. If NP is appointed he needs to be allowed to get on with the management of team affairs without unnecessary interference. If the status quo of recent years is maintained it could easily be a short reign, with a "we told you so" outcome, leading to the inevitable appointment of another human who can "fit in". We will soon see.

Yep.

Provided we don't breach FFP, give Pearson what he wants. Everything.

3 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

That's a given of course. 

Of course- that aside Ashton's role should be purely on maximising our commercial side, commercial returns- getting best deals inbound and outbound in the market. Any EFL persuasion too.

That's it- remit changed, pared back- if Pearson wants Ashton's support in any areas of course he should be on tap, but no undue interference.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

This is what lansdown needed to do to get fans back onside,

Maybe he's seen the way the club was progressing under Jr and ashton and thought he has to step in,

Anyway fingers crossed as he is the type of man we need in our crisis

Maybe reminds me a bit of his 2013 comments. Not watched the interviews posted on here but one quote sticks out...

Well I can't find it but I do recall he took a backseat from 2010-2011 onwards and as JL stepped up we got worse over time. Not entirely his fault of course, but I remember a notable comment which I sadly cannot find about our nadir in 2013- that was SL coming back, when he referenced us hitting a new low as the fans were celebrating a draw at home to Leyton Orient. Think O'Driscoll was moved on not long after that!

Kind of get (hope for) the same feeling a bit with respect to this. Far more faith in SL than the others in terms of running the club halfway competently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, The Batman said:

Anyone know if he was on the club's radar last August when DH was appointed full time? He'd been sacked as Watford Manager before the end of last season so he was available. Apologies if already answered. Lots of pages to go through. 

Don’t know but he did have covid so wouldn’t have been available at the time

I posted on another thread that there was zero chance of appointing him. I didn't think SL and MA would have the balls for such a character. 

God I hope I'm wrong 🤞

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Porto Red said:

I meant to say this before, but great user name. Eventually saw Bauhaus in 2004 and have owned a white label of the eponymous debut Love and Rockets album personally inscribed to me by David J since I was 14.

Saw them as support to Magazine at the Trinity which fitted their image perfectly. 

Pete Murphy antagonised the crowd.

He wore only a loin cloth and was covered in white body paint .

Strange atmosphere but excellent musically. They weren’t well known at the time and ‘ Goth ‘ was pretty much invented by them. 

• Like 2
Just now, Major Isewater said:

Saw them as support to Magazine at the Trinity which fitted their image perfectly. 

Pete Murphy antagonised the crowd.

He wore only a loin cloth and was covered in white body paint .

Strange atmosphere but excellent musically. They weren’t well known at the time and ‘ Goth ‘ was pretty much invented by them. 

Got tickets to see them this year, was postponed from last April. Haven’t seen them before but always liked them

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for his first meeting with Ashton in addition...suspect the latter will be put in his place somewhat, will be let know what's what! (Unpopular view but I think he has his uses on the commercial side- but he must stick to that!)

Pearson will have to follow the club philosophy.

To be fair he has signed a lot of young players in the past.

With our academy players coming through, I think it will be similar to others that are now part of our squad.

Do well out on loan ideally in league one, or possibly in league two like Bakinson, and then they will be back as part of our squad the next season if ready.

I've never really been that keen on youngsters playing if they don't look ready in training. The likes of Towler and Owura most likely need a loan next season. That might be all they need to then come back ready.

Obviously we will every now and then get a superb talent like Kelly that doesn't even need a loan. Tins seems to think Alex Scott could be ready for first team action soon. So maybe he's one like that.

I don't see why some think it's a bad model. The signings of players in their early 20s have not been quite so impressive recently, so hopefully Pearson helps improve that.

The club have shown they are willing to bring in experienced players who are likely on high wages if that's what the manager wants. Holden clearly wanted that and got it.

Things can always been improved and I'm hoping Pearson does that on the recruitment side. But the way we work I think is the right way and just needs that right manager to make it work better imo.

I'm still far more concerned about the injuries than I am anything else and I'm hoping Pearson will identify something in that and will challenge the club and suggest changes to hopefully prevent so many of them in the future.

14 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Very excited by this, but concerned it's only short term. One side must have doubts?

Probably Pearson, rumours of Newcastle being interested at the end of the season. I think he has been given the task of keeping us up and then we go from there so to speak.

1 minute ago, weepywall said:

Probably Pearson, rumours of Newcastle being interested at the end of the season. I think he has been given the task of keeping us up and then we go from there so to speak.

Meh. That worries me. If there is potential commitment issues I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. 

• Hmmm 1
7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Meh. That worries me. If there is potential commitment issues I'd rather look elsewhere to be honest. 

I wouldn’t. We can’t afford to look long term, we need to be looking at the here and now and Pearson is the man to stop the rot and keep us in this division. We can worry about next season in the summer.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Very excited by this, but concerned it's only short term. One side must have doubts?

Doubt it!

If Pearson can keep us up, then for sure longer term deal will be offered. If we get relegated then he may not want to continue and we might not be able to afford him.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Excellent website: https://www.nigelpearson.net

This appointment, if it’s confirmed, makes lots of sense... short-term initially allows all concerned to see how the relationship works, he provides truck loads of experience, him living in Devon is convenient.  

He doesn't live there. He has a holiday home in Ivybridge.

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

I would think it’s all to do with relegation. If we don’t succeed in staying up would Pearson want to manage a league one team? Or would we be able to afford him? 
Would not surprise me if we stay up then he gets x a week to stay on next season. 
McCarthy at Cardiff would probably be the same as they were in free fall now they are knocking on play offs door. And would not surprise me if they finish in them. I can’t see Cardiff starting next season without McCarthy as manager. 
Likewise Colin last season with Boro. 
It is a safety net for both sides with what ever target triggering a longer contract. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, big dosser said:

we are getting excited about this and the players will be shitting bricks,i bloody loves it

Why would they? They’d be as excited as us to work with such an experienced manager - especially as Mariappa will likely tell them how good he is

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Riaz said:

Kind of agree. But with GJ, we had been expected to face a relegation battle and instead we were one game away from the prem, he had done a miraculous job at that point 

It’s a very harsh decision indeed, however that season we had the momentum of promotion.  IMO he should of been replaced with a man who can for the good of the football club.  He was never going to produce that again in his career.  It’s about moving up the levels.  In the real world yes the man doesn’t get replaced.
This is football..

• TomF changed the title to Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season