Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

16 minutes ago, bris red said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/efl/736611/brighton-norwich-newcastle-chris-hughton-bristol-city-steven-gerrard-rangers-lands/amp/

There was even reports he had actually been appointed.. fingers crossed we get a deal for Pearson over the line.

Would be really pleased with Pearson. Right man at the right time. But will always think Hughton was the right man at a better time. Huge missed opportunity. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We’ve never been here before.  Every media outlet is reporting it’s done. Can’t remember that happening before and the appointment not being made. Fingers crossed it’s announced today so we can all breath! 

Want it announced ASAP, would be gut wrenching if it now didn't happen. I suspect only chance of that not happening is if Ashton objects in some way.   

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Might it not be the other way around - maybe the club don’t want to be tied to an expensive manager in the event of relegation? With continuing Covid uncertainty, I could understand that from a financial perspective. Pearson could just resign at the end of the season if he didn’t fancy L1.

It is rumoured NP fell out with the owner at Derby. He has the CV but also a few ??? over the way he's left derby and watford. Bit more risky than usual for us. I'd be happy to see him in asap and a short term deal would help both sides to decide if it is a good fit longer term. 

I've mentioned this before, but when LJ was appointed, Pearson was mentioned also - he'd just been binned by Leicester - I recall him being interviewed on R5 and the interviewer saying that City fans would "literally come and give him a lift" to AG

7 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Would be really pleased with Pearson. Right man at the right time. But will always think Hughton was the right man at a better time. Huge missed opportunity. 

I much prefer Pearson to Hughton.

• Like 8
44 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m hoping there is a change. 

In that podcast that @Davefevslinked earlier, Pearson himself said, and I quote word for word “I’m a manager who coaches, not a coach who manages”. 

I don’t think he’d be keen on being announced as a ‘Head Coach’. Much like when Cotterill arrived. We went from ‘Head Coach’ Driscoll, back to ‘Manager’ Cotterill. 

He was Head Coach at Watford IIRC ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Want it announced ASAP, would be gut wrenching if it now didn't happen. I suspect only chance of that not happening is if Ashton objects in some way.   

With SL reading the forum and this thread in particular, the only way it’ll not happen now will be from Big Nigel’s side. 

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

I've mentioned this before, but when LJ was appointed, Pearson was mentioned also - he'd just been binned by Leicester - I recall him being interviewed on R5 and the interviewer saying that City fans would "literally come and give him a lift" to AG

Remember that. Fairly sure he was complimentary to City & Bristol itself. Think there’s a lot more to him than people give him credit for. COYR 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

What makes you think that it wasn't Ashton that negotiated it?

:innocent06:

• Hmmm 1
50 minutes ago, Harry said:

In that podcast that @Davefevslinked earlier, Pearson himself said, and I quote word for word “I’m a manager who coaches, not a coach who manages”. 

My only concern with this is it sounds like he needs to be surrounded by an elite coaching team that will take day-to-day training. If he is a manager that coaches, then he'll be more reliant on his coaching team.

On this basis I really hope he brings his own men in, because as of now I don't have a lot of faith in Simpson and Downing. 

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03fmskp

Does Nigel Pearson want the Bristol City job?

Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson coy on speculation linking him with the newly vacant managerial position at Ashton Gate.

"I'm not ruling anything out but it's got to be the right fit," said the 52-year old.

"I've been out a bit longer than I thought I would be, but having said that if I don't work again this season and end up getting the right job it'll be worth it."

This clip is from 5 Live Sport on Friday 15 January 2016.

9 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Johnson played Johnson

Cotterill  played Cotterill

Lansdown plays Lansdown

Of course Pearson will play Pearson- it's just all about nepotism at this club.

Did Jordan play Jordan?

And did Dicks play dicks?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My only concern with this is it sounds like he needs to be surrounded by an elite coaching team that will take day-to-day training. If he is a manager that coaches, then he'll be more reliant on his coaching team.

On this basis I really hope he brings his own men in, because as of now I don't have a lot of faith in Simpson and Downing. 

I get the impression there wouldn't be many ins and outs at this stage for a guy who may only be here for a few months, he may be allowed to bring someone in with him as extra but would be a case of assessing the staff at the club and then if he stays on changes being made in the summer. Why rip up the staff structure at the club if the guy could be gone in a few months and someone else coming in who may then want their own people again. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

On this basis I really hope he brings his own men in, because as of now I don't have a lot of faith in Simpson and Downing

I have less than zero confidence in these two.

16 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

He was Head Coach at Watford IIRC ?

Fair enough. 
Yep, was just going off what he himself said in that podcast over the weekend. “A manager that coaches not a coach that manages”. I thought it was a very interesting comment. 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Simpson's team selection v Barnsley confirmed he is as much out of touch as Holden was.

Perhaps they are waiting for RB 'Sound of the city'  It will be interesting if Geoff has anyone on from the club tonight.  If they announce it lunchtime, Geoff could have the man himself on at 6pm

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Or another club come in and offer him better terms than Landsdown can.

• TomF changed the title to Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season