Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

Excited to have someone come in with a fresh pair of eyes on the squad and some new ideas. It's desperately needed.

I like his stern but fair demeanour, probably overdue a bit of that as well.

His teams always look well drilled and he should have the respect of the players before he's walked in the door.

It's a sound appointment, even if only short term.

• Like 4

This is a very contentious appointment, if it happens, NP has a very arrogant personality that just might damage this club beyond the period of his tenure. Or it might gust ignite some passion and fight in the players, either way it is as far removed from a Bristol City manager as I can ever recaĺl.

I hope this works out .

1 hour ago, !james said:

He only brought in Craig Shakespeare as his assistant when he took on the short term role at Watford. He kept on Hayden Mullins/Graham Stack who were the temporary managers/coaches at the time

Would be lively if Stacky came in 

10 minutes ago, S_C said:

Personally, my preferences (of those realistically linked) were Cook and Neil. Howe after that, though I’m not/was not convinced this was the right moment for him.

Pearson, to me, is a high risk, high reward appointment. I worry it could implode if he goes heavy handed with a group of players already feeling sorry for themselves but on the flip side, if he brought stability, it’s a calibre of appointment that could easily take us to the next level.

Presuming it all goes through it will be fascinating to hear the sound bytes from Ashton/Lansdown on how he will fit into the model if our relationship extends beyond the summer.

There is little to suggest he is heavy handed with his players....everything to suggest he’s massively protective of them.  Heavy handed with owners and media?  Absolutely, but not players.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

Totally agree Harry

Confident and assured I’d say

As somebody who doesn’t suffer fools , I’m in his camp %100

In terms of reading people I see Ashton , and people like LJ as people who appear to talk well , and wish to come across as very intelligent and smart  , but it doesn’t take long to see what substance there is behind their words

For me , whenever I’ve heard him speak , Pearson actually talks sense with clear intelligence, with the presence and confidence to match 

Keep us up Nigel , and you have a blank book to write

Thens the time for SL to back him to the hilt , as far as he can , and let him get on with it

If he does that, he has a man , potentially , who can sort his football club , not just his team , for him

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

This is a very contentious appointment, if it happens, NP has a very arrogant personality that just might damage this club beyond the period of his tenure. Or it might gust ignite some passion and fight in the players, either way it is as far removed from a Bristol City manager as I can ever recaĺl.

I hope this works out .

Yes, same personality traits as Cotts ..  that seemed to work  

• Like 2
Nigel Pearson: As reported last night by
@benfisherj, it's going to be just a deal until the summer initially. But could become longer if it works out. Close to being completed. As it stands, Pearson will work with the existing backroom staff. #BristolCity

Working with dumb and dumber and very much a short term goal at the moment. Not as enthused by this appointment as I had been.

7 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I hope this works out .

Do you believe that the great majority of our post war managers did not instill passion and fight in their players.

Beasley, Ford, Dicks, Cooper, Jordan, Cotterill and even John Ward all won promotion and it's impossible to do that quietly, without passion and a great deal of fight.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is little to suggest he is heavy handed with his players....everything to suggest he’s massively protective of them.  Heavy handed with owners and media?  Absolutely, but not players.

Just listened to the Mark Pougatch interview / pod totally agree about protecting players.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think he’s arrogant at all. I think he doesn’t suffer fools and he’s not shy is saying so. That’s not arrogance. 

**** me. If you’re not allowed to be arrogant after seeing off a pack of Wolves, when are you allowed to be arrogant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This wouldn’t be my first choice, liked Cook. However there’s no doubting Pearson’s pedigree.

The other factor is the initial length of the appointment. He is obviously a motivator, fire-fighter and organiser. At the moment this is exactly what we need. Both parties can suss eachother out. If he’s a success, then he’ll either want to stay and be happy with the structure or we will see the benefit in going the extra mile in accommodating him in terms of his overall influence on football decisions iwithin the club as well as financially.

If it doesn’t work, then we either go down, or survive by the skin of our teeth, in which case is a whole different scenario. 

FWIW I think he is on paper the best available candidate for our situation at the minute. If he does well but goes to a bigger club in the summer, we at least may learn from him what we need to do with the structure of the football side and maybe open Steve Lansdown’s mind to maybe appear more flexible in the appointment of the next manager, as well as to evolving the football structure in the club.

Whichever way could be a win win appointment if handled right. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd argue the evidence is that since they came in the team has started to lose the ability to do the basics - and it has just got worse and worse and worse.

Now we have a less than 50% pass rate completion and can't defend set pieces.

I think that is as much down to the players, probably more.

Watch Mariappa for the Barnsley goal for instance, that is nothing to do with coaching, it is the player switching off.

19 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I hope this works out .

Well football is full of arrogance but what makes you think he is arrogant? Could it be mistaken for confidence. Not having a pop just genuinely interested in why you think he is and why it would be bad for the club?

People worrying about the short term deal fear not, prudent on both sides. 

IF City relegated we won’t want to pay his wages at L1 level, and he won’t wanna manage us. Agreement/contract will be in place once safety secure and both parties happy to continue. 
Imagine Pearson will then look to get his own backroom team in at this point too if he’s not happy with Downing & Simpson. 

Perfect and best available candidate we could have hoped for. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

People worrying about the short term deal fear not, prudent on both sides. 

IF City relegated we won’t want to pay his wages at L1 level, and he won’t wanna manage us. Agreement/contract will be in place once safety secure and both parties happy to continue. 
Imagine Pearson will then look to get his own backroom team in at this point too if he’s not happy with Downing & Simpson. 

Perfect and best available candidate we could have hoped for. 

Plus why would we want to keep a manager who can’t get us 10 points from 15 games! 😁

• Like 1
  • TomF changed the title to Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season