Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - Confirmed ‘Manager’ Till End of Season

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've mentioned before on here that I know the journalist that was infamously called an ostrich by Pearson.

I have spoken with him and he thinks Pearson is a great appointment for us. He still rates Pearson as one of the best English managers around and reaffirmed that most players absolutely love playing for him. 

Also confirmed that he is not a manager that will rant and rave, far more likely to put an arm around ones that need it and get the best out of them. 

As documented by a number of his previous players.

Just now, RedM said:

I’m still stunned by his appointment, in a positive way of course. But it’s very, very different from our norm and about time. 

I like LJ but I felt we wasted years on that ‘Project’ which looking back wasn’t ever likely to work. I hope SL has got that experiment out of his system and will leave Pearson to be his own man.

Have we ever had a more experienced manager, I can’t think of anyone relatively recently?

Thats what I thought but someone mentioned Coppell who I would have to give it to in terms of being a big name and possibly experience at the time. So for his one game I would say him.

Pearson was my first choice so I am very positive about this too (for once) and trying to stop myself from getting carried away, it almost makes you forget we have lost our last 7. 😂

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

...trying to stop myself from getting carried away, it almost makes you forget we have lost our last 7. 😂

Might get a brutal reminder of our inadequacies tonight!

52 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good on him if he did, however I have a sneaking suspicion that he did so as a result of SL’s boot being metaphorically directed at his backside. I get the feeling it was  more like SL stepped in, told MA what he wanted and told him to make it happen. Would be interesting to know how much SL was involved in convincing NP to come here.  If MA achieved this on his own initiative then he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

For what it’s worth, Ive always suspected that things started to go downhill during GJ’s time when SL moved to Guernsey and was no longer “just down the corridor” from the manager, on a day to day basis, although I know there are some who felt that he got to involved in team matters at that time. There must be  a different mentality and motivation when you are responsible for running the club (MA) as to when your money is running the club (SL). 

SL has shown he is prepared to be patient and back his managers/coaches, but it is good to see that he is also prepared to act decisively when his patience is exhausted.

Clearly SL has taken direct control after the 6-0, and has made several decisive and correct decisions. A timely reminder that this guy is not a soft touch but a ruthlessly successful individual who originally made it on his own from nothing. No advisors or hangers on. 

MA was there for Barnsley but we have not heard from him, in stark contrast to his starring role in sacking LJ and over the summer. For a man who likes to project an image of executive control that is very unusual. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s currently on gardening leave and will soon be quietly announced that he’s left the club.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Thats what I thought but someone mentioned Coppell who I would have to give it to in terms of being a big name and possibly experience at the time. So for his one game I would say him.

Pearson was my first choice so I am very positive about this too (for once) and trying to stop myself from getting carried away, it almost makes you forget we have lost our last 7. 😂

I forgot about Coppell, but then again he was gone in a blink so almost doesn’t count. The only other one I would mention is Danny Wilson having managed in the Premiership maybe?

1 minute ago, BanburyRed said:

image.png.c47c3a1dd9269d4fd0780a3c2f19b917.png

For those that use it, our new MANAGER has posted this on LinkedIn...

‘Nige’, Joe Sims is gonna love him (Broadchurch fans reference)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Good on him if he did, however I have a sneaking suspicion that he did so as a result of SL’s boot being metaphorically directed at his backside. I get the feeling it was  more like SL stepped in, told MA what he wanted and told him to make it happen. Would be interesting to know how much SL was involved in convincing NP to come here.  If MA achieved this on his own initiative then he has gone up hugely in my estimation.

For what it’s worth, Ive always suspected that things started to go downhill during GJ’s time when SL moved to Guernsey and was no longer “just down the corridor” from the manager, on a day to day basis, although I know there are some who felt that he got to involved in team matters at that time. There must be  a different mentality and motivation when you are responsible for running the club (MA) as to when your money is running the club (SL). 

SL has shown he is prepared to be patient and back his managers/coaches, but it is good to see that he is also prepared to act decisively when his patience is exhausted.

Exactly.  To @Hampshire Red - just cast your mind back 7/8 months and a vigorous recruitment process ran by MA and JL (albeit SL involved in ultimate interviews according to Kid), and try to imagine how the people tasked with that process, came up with Holden, can now come up with Pearson?  As pointed out, this has heavy-SL input.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've mentioned before on here that I know the journalist that was infamously called an ostrich by Pearson.

I have spoken with him and he thinks Pearson is a great appointment for us. He still rates Pearson as one of the best English managers around and reaffirmed that most players absolutely love playing for him. 

Also confirmed that he is not a manager that will rant and rave, far more likely to put an arm around ones that need it and get the best out of them. 

Good to hear, I’ve said a few times I don’t think any players will be “shitting themselves”, I think they’ll be hugely excited to work with someone so good

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Good to hear, I’ve said a few times I don’t think any players will be “shitting themselves”, I think they’ll be hugely excited to work with someone so good

Yep, what I’ve been saying too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

275/1 for a side that hasn't scored in over 7 hours of football and has made losing compulsory yet you think that brilliant value?

As they say ' When The Fun Stops - Stop!'

STOP PRESS !!

City have new a new proven manager so not scoring in over 7 hours of football isn't massively relevant. I think its value and you don't. 

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

STOP PRESS !!

City have new a new proven manager so not scoring in over 7 hours of football isn't massively relevant. I think its value and you don't. 

I bet the bookies love you....

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  To @Hampshire Red - just cast your mind back 7/8 months and a vigorous recruitment process ran by MA and JL (albeit SL involved in ultimate interviews according to Kid), and try to imagine how the people tasked with that process, came up with Holden, can now come up with Pearson?  As pointed out, this has heavy-SL input.

Have you watched his appointment press conference at Derby? Can't see there being any chance that Pearson and Ashton could work together long term. Pearson demands a much wider brief than just Head Coach - someone is going to have to budge. This appt is all SL in my eyes.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Chrisbc said:

Have you watched his appointment press conference at Derby? Can't see there being any chance that Pearson and Ashton could work together long term. Pearson demands a much wider brief than just Head Coach - someone is going to have to budge. This appt is all SL in my eyes.

Exactimundo.

15 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

City Chief Executive Mark Ashton added: “Nigel is a highly respected and experienced manager with a proven track record of success and we are looking forward to welcoming him to the club."

Guessing he would have preferred to bring in his mate, Appleton; so he probably said this with a gun held to his head or with big Nige standing menacingly over him.

No-one messes with Big Nige !

10th August 2020:

MA: "We undertook a rigorous recruitment process and, while that rightly took time because of how important it was, we believe we have made the correct decisions about the head coach and the coaching structure.”

This time: SL: Get on with it Ashton you image.jpeg.3972cb7fa376218369fc1429360269ef.jpeg end and stick the coaching structure up your **** while you're at it!

Edited by The Original OTIB
SPELLING
  • Haha 1

Pleased that Pearson has come to rescue us (hopefully).

It's a huge task and we musn't overlook he's inheriting a right old mess.

A man feared by the faint-hearted (and packs of wolves).

It'll be hard for the old Guv'nor to find a doorman, bl**dy tough enough, to replace him.

The great thing about NP is you just know you ain’t gonna get any bull shite spewing out like we have had to put up with over the last few years. 
People may not like his ways at times, but by Christ, we will all be on this journey with him.

Good luck Nigel!

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Pleased that Pearson has come to rescue us (hopefully).

It's a huge task and we musn't overlook he's inheriting a right old mess.

A man feared by the faint-hearted (and packs of wolves).

It'll be hard for the old Guv'nor to find a doorman, bl**dy tough enough, to replace him.

Put me in mind of:

Viz artwork display ed at the Lit and Phil Library | The Northern Echo

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1
15 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Guessing he would have preferred to bring in his mate, Appleton; so he probably said this with a gun held to his head or with big Nige standing menacingly over him.

No-one messes with Big Nige !

on Twitter it said that Appleton said "thank you for asking but no"

Not sure if that's true or not.