IGNORED

If It's Pearson... will he keep to Watford's 4-2-3-1?

The Original OTIB

Yes. Back 4 of Hunt, Vyner/Mariappa , kalas, sessegnon. 2 defensive midfielder of Nagy & Bakinson/Massengo. 3 attacking midfielders of Palmer, Paterson, Lansbury. Would have to be Wells up top for me. Think that would be it as it stands with injuries. Does show a lack of pace & physical power though. COYR

Think our squad is crying out for 4231 at the moment, not sure why it hasn't been tried given such an appalling spell.

Wells needs to play centre forward, he needs to have someone behind him willing to play balls from the start, id start palmer at 10, showed before he went out on loan that he has it in his locker, play those 2 for a run of games in those positions and see how it pans out. 

2 minutes ago, WorleRed89 said:

Think our squad is crying out for 4231 at the moment, not sure why it hasn't been tried given such an appalling spell.

Wells needs to play centre forward, he needs to have someone behind him willing to play balls from the start, id start palmer at 10, showed before he went out on loan that he has it in his locker, play those 2 for a run of games in those positions and see how it pans out. 

Agree. It seems the clear way of getting plenty go midfielders on the pitch and also playing Wells to his strengths. Certainly makes the prospect of watching us a bit more exciting.

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'd be more interested in looking at his side at Leicester where he had time to put in place what he wanted, first and last games of the season

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 14.27.55.png

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 14.28.29.png

Just so you know Pearson mostly played 4-4-1-1 with Nugent off Vardy when we got promoted. Following season we signed Ulloa and nothing worked until he went to back 3 with wing backs in that second photo for the last 8/9 games.

I was saying on a different thread yesterday I wasn't convinced we had the "3" for a 4-2-3-1. 

Thinking about it, I'm not quite sure that is true. What worries me more is Wells is our only fit striker in a headspace to contribute. (Diedhiou has pretty much downed tools and Semenyo is surely needed on the right of the three). Wells thrived in a 4-2-3-1 at QPR but playing in front of 3 attacking midfielders who played intricate balls to feet. Do we have an attacking three who can who do that? Semenyo can bustle forward and get a ball in but I'm not sure how much he plays to feet and Palmer and Paterson are flatting to deceive. IF Pearson could get Paterson, Palmer and Semenyo on form and firing then maybe the three of them supplying balls to Wells could work but I worry otherwise that a 4-2-3-1 isolates Wells whilst wasteful balls are played from behind him.

Having said that, I've got no better ideas for a formation at present...

It seemed to be the formation he favoured at Watford, and this is only last season so it's more likely it's his go to rather than anything he played at Leicester years ago. 

I remember when he went into Watford, they started to get quite a bit more out of Sarr, and he moved Doucoure higher up the pitch which also seemed to work out quite well. I swear I remember MOTD doing a bit of analysis on him playing higher up and singing his praises. Just found an article on the telegraph for any of you that are able to see it. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/09/abdoulaye-doucoure-20-watford-midfielder-transformed-ball-winner/

Just going off his final 3 games as their manager, he kept things pretty much exactly the same - 2-1 victories against both Norwich & Newcastle & a 3-1 loss to West Ham. 

Foster 

Femenia Kabasele Dawson Masina

Capoue* Hughes 

Sarr Doucoure Welbeck

Deeney

*Cleverly played number 10 vs West Ham instead of Capoue, Doucoure dropped back into defensive midfield.

With the players available to him here I think 4-2-3-1 could actually suit us pretty well. 

Hopefully gets a Sarr like improvement in Semenyo out on the right and I wonder if we may see someone unconventional play in the advanced midfield role rather than Paterson/Palmer. 

However I don't know if Wells will get the nod up top on his own, I think Diedhiou is a bit nearer as a comparison to Deeney & hopefully Pearson coming in means we start to see the best of him again. 

49 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

If only we had eliasson 

Agreed. Think we have missed him, if only as a different option off the bench. Our attacking play has been pitiful this season. 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

I think we can play 4-2-3-1. I’d have Semenyo as the 1 though 

Semenyo isn't the answer. He's part of the problem.

That problem being the owner's insistence on seeing youngsters playing in the first team. That's fine, in theory. What you must also have is a Coach strong enough to say, "Absolutely Steve, but only if they're good enough".

Holden wasn't that Coach. Pearson might be, if he hangs around. I also suspect Hughton would have been and told them so at interview, one of the reasons he didn't get the job.

Semenyo is too raw and - for a club the owner insists is aiming at the Premier League - it will take him too long to get up to the required standard. Not good enough. Imo.

On Saturday, Semenyo's pace forced a mix up between the Barnsley goalkeeper and a defender which left Kasey Palmer with - literally - an open goal. It was from a difficult angle but if any City player could have scored from there, it's Palmer. What happened? Semenyo ran into Palmer and the opportunity was lost. Utterly, utterly brainless. Good athlete, average technique (borderline poor in front of goal for a striker), zero brains.

Ditto Taylor Moore. Not good enough.

(Bakinson, not ready, only playing due to injury crisis. Might be ok but we're talking long term. Ditto Towler, thrown in at deep end, way too soon.)

Vyner is the only one - so far - who can justify getting games at this level. Imo.

So, imo, playing youngsters to appease the bloke who unbelievably gave you the job, even though they're not good enough, is part of the reason for this season's shambles. Along with a catastrophic injury list annd the obvious fact the Coach himself was nowhere near good enough.      

Archived