IGNORED

A Different Fresh Start - Keep/Dump.

MJP3

Many moons ago I took a Palace supporting mate, new to Bristol, down to watch a City match.
After the game he volunteered our 4 best players.
"Tinnion, (Of course) Greg Goodridge, a pre illness Tommy D and another."
In my opinion, a very accurate assessment of the night.

After reading the Keep/Go thread by @Dredd, I decided to play "Let's pretend." I decided to play "Let's pretend."

Let's pretend I'm the one new to Bristol, and have no knowledge of City apart from watching the last 3 matches.
Out of the 14-15  players i had watched each game, more in total, which would I tell my Bristolian mate they had to keep in the Summer?

My answer to myself, Kalas and...er..um..er.. Yep, a shortlist of 1. Very sad. Shameful in fact.

If anyone else wants to play, could you really add anyone to that over the last 3 games?

Realistically we are keeping the following because they are under contract next season:-

Bentley

O'Leary

Vyner

Moore

Kalas

JD

Bakinson

Nagy

Palmer

COD

Wells

Semenyo

Martin

Massengo

All the 'kids' under contract

Personally I would bin off all the others, but Nige might like the look of a few of them.  He's probably got room for 8 players to offer new contracts to whether internal or as signings.   More obviously if he can trade any of the above out the club.

I was wondering if I needed to clarify the situation regarding Bentley.

I know (We all do.) we must keep Bentley, but it's "No previous knowledge of City and last 3 matches only."

I initially thought Kalas and Bentley, but then realised I wasn't doing the above.

If as a neutral I watched a keeper let in 6 goals in one match, and 3 in the next, without making loads of spectacular saves, there would be nothing to suggest he was an essential keeper.

I know it wasn't his fault.

It's a difficult and different situation for a G.K. to look great. They don't have the control to do so.

For that, the defence needs to give the opposition opportunity to score, (Ok, we've got that bit covered) and the opposition has to provide a strike that is almost impossible to save.

I'm not saying he played badly, I'm not saying he didn't show the commitment lacking in so many others, I'm not saying we can afford to let him go, just a neutral would have seen nothing in the last 3 matches to say he was essential.

Id keep oleary, vyner, Dasilva (though i have serious concerns about his ability to stay fit), bakinson, semenyo and massengo from that list, as well as kalas and bentley.

the likes of odowda, palmer, wells are lucky they have contracts signed pre covid on big money, cause they wouldnt be getting that money this summer if they were on a free.

all the money weve got in was all spent on duds, and to start the young player to sell at a profit going again , steve will need to finance 4/5 coming in and see if any of them turn out to be really good. But hopefully pearson has a better eye for it than lj and ashton did.

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Realistically we are keeping the following because they are under contract next season:-

Bentley

O'Leary

Vyner

Moore

Kalas

JD

Bakinson

Nagy

Palmer

COD

Wells

Semenyo

Martin

Massengo

All the 'kids' under contract

Personally I would bin off all the others, but Nige might like the look of a few of them.  He's probably got room for 8 players to offer new contracts to whether internal or as signings.   More obviously if he can trade any of the above out the club.

Weimann has a year’s extension as an option I believe & I think we’d be absolutely mad not to take it up. His injury this season is pretty much the only one he’s had in his career & how we have missed him.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Nagy depart this summer, even in a depressed market he will probably get a move back to continental Europe.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann has a year’s extension as an option I believe & I think we’d be absolutely mad not to take it up. His injury this season is pretty much the only one he’s had in his career & how we have missed him.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Nagy depart this summer, even in a depressed market he will probably get a move back to continental Europe.

I think his wages will mean we won't take the option up.  However, we could offer him a deal as of 1st July with lower wages?  Maybe mitigated with a 2/3 year deal.  

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I think his wages will mean we won't take the option up.  However, we could offer him a deal as of 1st July with lower wages?  Maybe mitigated with a 2/3 year deal.  

That’s how I see it too.  I just want him to come back how he was (for his own sake too).  Good player, love watching him.  So clever.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s how I see it too.  I just want him to come back how he was (for his own sake too).  Good player, love watching him.  So clever.

Excellent pro no doubt, and full of running, but apart from that back healed goal against derby (i think), no one is ever going to describe him as a clever player are they?

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Excellent pro no doubt, and full of running, but apart from that back healed goal against derby (i think), no one is ever going to describe him as a clever player are they?

Clever in his running 

Makes lots of unselfish runs to benefit others 

He doesn’t just run for the sake of it 

15 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Clever in his running 

Makes lots of unselfish runs to benefit others 

He doesn’t just run for the sake of it 

Id personally wouldnt say making unselfish runs is clever, iniesta is a clever footballer, kasey palmer is the closest thing we have to a clever footballer.

its all academic anyway, he may get a new contract, he may not, but hes very expensive im sure, and for most fans in the years to come, opinion will probably be mixed about him

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Id personally wouldnt say making unselfish runs is clever, iniesta is a clever footballer, kasey palmer is the closest thing we have to a clever footballer.

its all academic anyway, he may get a new contract, he may not, but hes very expensive im sure, and for most fans in the years to come, opinion will probably be mixed about him

Well me and you differ.  The ability to make runs for the benefit of others is football intelligence, I.e. clever.  3 minutes on the ball, 87 mins off it according to Cruyff!

Palmer is skilful, not clever.

Iniesta....slightly different level ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Slow and unfit

The longer he was out injured The better he became in the memory of the fans

Bang Ave lower league player at best

As stated, I was talking pre illness. He was spectacular that night and fully justified all the talk of a future star.

However, we didn't see that player again after the illness. I would agree later opinions of him were more based on him being "One of our own." than his actual performances.

4 hours ago, MJP3 said:

As stated, I was talking pre illness. He was spectacular that night and fully justified all the talk of a future star.

However, we didn't see that player again after the illness. I would agree later opinions of him were more based on him being "One of our own." than his actual performances.

What illness was this?!

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Palmer is not a 'clever' player, in fact his lacking in that department is his downfall. 

Very skilful and unpredictable though. 

5 minutes ago, SedRA said:

Palmer is not a 'clever' player, in fact his lacking in that department is his downfall. 

Very skilful and unpredictable though. 

I have a feeling that NP might be the making of Kasey.

His man management skill are well noted and I think Kasey needs the arm around the shoulder approach and the assurance that his manager believes in him.

He is a seriously talented lad and if that can be unlocked more consistently he could be the fulcrum of this side going forward.

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

What illness was this?!

Reported as some mystery virus that caused T.D. to rapidly lose 2 stone in a matter of weeks.

Some claiming to be i.t.k. said that due to boredom and frustration during a lengthy lay off, he went off the rails a bit and shall we say, didn't lead a healthy lifestyle.

I know of this only as rumour.

Whatever the cause, it seemed a different player returned.

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You may have something there Graham. He's clearly a good player who has either not performed or has been hopelessly mismanaged. His best game was his first which makes me lean towards the latter. 

It all depends what Pearson thinks of him and how he does at the euros.  If Hungary show well we will cash in.

14 hours ago, MJP3 said:

Reported as some mystery virus that caused T.D. to rapidly lose 2 stone in a matter of weeks.

Some claiming to be i.t.k. said that due to boredom and frustration during a lengthy lay off, he went off the rails a bit and shall we say, didn't lead a healthy lifestyle.

I know of this only as rumour.

Whatever the cause, it seemed a different player returned.

Ah. Wasnt the late nights and huge amounts of alcohol then?! ?

The only thing I know to be true is when he and some friends came in the Coronation Tap when I was working, he had 1, maybe 2 drinks, consumed at a very moderate pace.

(The same can not be said of Steve Jones on a different occasion. Possibly a story for a another time.)

I'm not sure of the timeline. Did their times at the club overlap at all? Could it all be Stevie J's fault?

Either way, sadly he didn't volunteer to keep me informed of his future locations, activities and consumption.

The Bastard!

Archived