IGNORED

Wells - the player to benefit most from NP

extonsred

I have been as critical of Nahki as I have been of the whole squad. Certainly he does not exude enthusiasm and joy and commitment on the pitch but that is his character. 

Before he joined City at QPR he was loved by their fans, scored goals and seemed happy enough there. He was however with a team that, good or bad, was getting the ball and players in the box - and if that happens he will score goals. 

One of NP's first tasks needs to be to get defence, mid and attack playing as a unit and we will inevitably get at the opposition more. Certainly couldn't be less. I think Nahki will respond to Pearson and his belief in him and we could begin to see a very different player and one worth the money paid for him. Let's at least give him the chance and not unceremoniously bin him as many have suggested. Fresh start for all. He has suffered more than most with the dross that has been served up of late. It is after all his expertise in the six yard box that makes him flourish. 

Any other players particularly benefit from having NP on board? I also think we may see a very much more influential Massengo. 

34 minutes ago, extonsred said:

I have been as critical of Nahki as I have been of the whole squad. Certainly he does not exude enthusiasm and joy and commitment on the pitch but that is his character. 

Before he joined City at QPR he was loved by their fans, scored goals and seemed happy enough there. He was however with a team that, good or bad, was getting the ball and players in the box - and if that happens he will score goals. 

One of NP's first tasks needs to be to get defence, mid and attack playing as a unit and we will inevitably get at the opposition more. Certainly couldn't be less. I think Nahki will respond to Pearson and his belief in him and we could begin to see a very different player and one worth the money paid for him. Let's at least give him the chance and not unceremoniously bin him as many have suggested. Fresh start for all. He has suffered more than most with the dross that has been served up of late. It is after all his expertise in the six yard box that makes him flourish. 

Any other players particularly benefit from having NP on board? I also think we may see a very much more influential Massengo. 

Yes,,I believe you will see a different look about Nahki on Saturday as one up top with a 'ball player in behind..

Should also see us set up to use more width/stretch the play,,,with hopefully an injection of pace from somewhere..

43 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Wells certainly suffered under the previous regime when they all too quickly abandoned 3-5-2 and stuck Wells out on the left wing to accommodate Semenyo starting... a policy that has seen Semenyo score zero goals in the league!

He has appeared a bit of a sulk, but in fairness one can understand him being utterly frustrated.

I hope Nige has watched a video of recent 'performances' and although not officially in charge tonight has told Simpson not to be so stupid as to play Fammy & Lansbury again, nor Vyner in midfield. Massengo as you say, Nagy & Bakinson should all be ahead of Lansbury & Vyner in m/f.

Moving forward Wells up top supported by Pato (playing for a new contract) might be our best best, keep Semenyo as an impact sub.

I’d like to think that Pearson will have looked at the squad and wondered how we are in our current position, and will have weighed up the potential in the squad as part of his decision to join us. I expect to see a reaction from the players this evening as they will know they are being watched.

We shouldn’t underplay the role of a manager rather than head coach. NP will likely review the coaching responsibilities and set out clear roles and responsibilities for the coaching team. For example someone will be tasked with understanding the fitness of each squad member and recovery times etc. 

The biggest change on field is that I think we will offer a wider range of threats. Currently we only try to attack by using an attacking midfielder to feed the strikers through the middle, which is one dimensional and easy to counter. If we can find other ways of hurting teams we will become much more effective as an attacking team, and this will relieve pressure on the defence.

Have to say I have been hugely underwhelmed by him so far. If it was a straight choice I would always pick Fam over him as he is a match winner on his day and his all round game is superior.  

However, Wells will be here next season unless we can do some kind of swap deal with another Championship club.  

What needs to happen is Wells to get his head out his arse and change his mindset completely. He needs to show hunger to play football and as a consequence score goals. He's looked surly and sulky far too much of the time. 

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Have to say I have been hugely underwhelmed by him so far. If it was a straight choice I would always pick Fam over him as he is a match winner on his day and his all round game is superior.  

However, Wells will be here next season unless we can do some kind of swap deal with another Championship club.  

What needs to happen is Wells to get his head out his arse and change his mindset completely. He needs to show hunger to play football and as a consequence score goals. He's looked surly and sulky far too much of the time. 

Blimey , you say you’d pick Diedhiou over him every time , and then describe Diedhiou to a  tee

’ needs get his head out his arse and change his mindset completely. He needs to show hunger to play football’

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Blimey , you say you’d pick Diedhiou over him every time , and then describe Diedhiou to a  tee

’ needs get his head out his arse and change his mindset completely. He needs to show hunger to play football’

That was my description of Wells and it's a fair description of both frankly. Difference is when Fam hits a purple patch he wins games for us and has done several times this season.

Judge Wells in a team that creates chances for him and that plays him in the correct position.

Psychologically Fam's head is in Istanbul/Teesside and his priority for the rest of the season is to make sure he doesn't pick up an injury that could jeopardise his summer move. 

I've no worries about Wells performing under BN in a team that knows how to create chances. 

Generally I see Wells giving effort, he makes lots of runs, he gives options.  He might have a heavy touch at times, give it away cheaply....but he always on the move.  Until we see him played as the main striker or at least as a pair on equal footing, we won’t see the best of him.  Those early weeks of the season, alongside Martin, he scored 3 in 7+2, whilst being subbed off in all bar one (555 mins).  There were times, like at Forest, when we had chances to kill them off in the last 20 but Wells had been subbed.

I’m done with Diedhiou, I hope Kalas has called him out.  As I’ve said I’d leave him out the 20.  I doubt NP will do that, and I suspect everyone will get a clean slate.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Judge Wells in a team that creates chances for him and that plays him in the correct position.

Psychologically Fam's head is in Istanbul/Teesside and his priority for the rest of the season is to make sure he doesn't pick up an injury that could jeopardise his summer move. 

I've no worries about Wells performing under BN in a team that knows how to create chances. 

In Wells, I believe we have an old fashioned poacher. Basically, one has to get over the fact that he will do little else but score. I'm happy with that, though "modern" managers are not in the main (see Johnson / Trundle, et al.).

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m done with Diedhiou, I hope Kalas has called him out.  As I’ve said I’d leave him out the 20.  I doubt NP will do that, and I suspect everyone will get a clean slate.

I can't see Pearson suffering Famara long if he doesn't think he's putting the effort in

Just now, Lrrr said:

I can't see Pearson suffering Famara long if he doesn't think he's putting the effort in

His head won’t be in Teeside or Istanbul 

It will be half way up his colon

If Warnock stays at Boro and Diedhiou hops off there , he’s going to have a shock , if he wanders around like he’s done here in a number of spells 

1 minute ago, hertsexile said:

I believe Pearson will get the best out of Wells as he is a similar type of player to Vardy ( not as good) who Nigel signed when at the ? foxes. I can see us finally play to Wells strengths not wasting time out on the wing 

If he sticks around I could see Weimann taking the role on if he returns the player he was before

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

His head won’t be in Teeside or Istanbul 

It will be half way up his colon

If Warnock stays at Boro and Diedhiou hops off there , he’s going to have a shock , if he wanders around like he’s done here in a number of spells 

Warnock won't be there next season, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, extonsred said:

Yeah, I agree with this.

Might not be instant so we might have to be a bit patient. But we know he is a really good striker if he is actually given chance to be in and around opposition penalty area for whole game. So Im hoping NP puts him up there and gives him a bit of time to find form (which could be a frustrating few games - but maybe not). Starting point with Nakhi is we know he is not s**t so its (in part) down to the management to help him produce like he should be able to. He's never been given a proper chance here. Im hopeful. 

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with that, mate. All of Wells' six league goals this season have been scored in and around the six-yard box. It was obvious when he joined us that's where he plays best and I thought he had reason to sulk being stuck out wide -- the classic example of a square peg in a round hole. 

Fam can rot on the bench as far as I'm concerned, we've been playing with 10 men since the transfer window closed. He certainly shouldn't start tonight after being so heavily linked with Boro last month, IMO. 

36 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If Fam sees Boro as a possible destination then you would imagine he would want to show them what he can do tonight. While I agree generally about leaving him out, maybe today could be the wrong time to do it? 

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

I’m very excited to see how this pans out. I think we are all wanting to see what our squad can really do under such an experienced man in charge.  We will see a reaction tonight I’m sure of it.  

The squad is better than recent form, that’s for sure. Even when factoring in injuries. New manager bounce will see us safe and I’m looking forward to evolution of the team, playing style and squad in time for next season.

Best managerial appointment for City possibly ever. Others have made their name at City but except maybe for Coppell we have never appointed a bigger name or better fit for our situation. 

3 minutes ago, tin said:

I agree with that, mate. All of Wells' six league goals this season have been scored in and around the six-yard box. It was obvious when he joined us that's where he plays best and I thought he had reason to sulk being stuck out wide -- the classic example of a square peg in a round hole. 

Fam can rot on the bench as far as I'm concerned, we've been playing with 10 men since the transfer window closed. He certainly shouldn't start tonight after being so heavily linked with Boro last month, IMO. 

Fam is being played "to get value out of him on the pitch" as per MA's comments last month. I'd imagine that is/was dictated to Holden/Simpson from above. Let's hope Pearson is allowed to make that judgement himself. 

I've  said on previous threads that our squad has plenty of players who are good enough if they have the right coaching, which hopefully they will  now get. Wells will be a different player now , if played correctly, and it will give our midfield options forward rather than sideways or back. I am cautiously optimistic but it wont be an instant fix.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Disagree. Judge a player on all performances as this gives a fairer reflection. Wells seems the fairweather sort. 

Fam will snap out of it soon. One of Pearson's 1st tasks..

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

BN Kid?

Archived