IGNORED

Is nobody going to say "it will all end in tears"?

Port Said Red

After all it is the default position of some of the posters on here, and of course if you want to be proved right, it's the safest position to take up. It's the one that will be the most likely to allow you to come back at some point with a gloating post about how you were right all along. It might take years, as it did with both of the Johnsons, or it might take months like poor Dean, but you will eventually get your time in the sun.

Football in it's nature consists of ups and the downs, when the downs come it's usually the Manager that carries the can, but they can also be poached by bigger clubs on the ups. Personally I prefer to enjoy the up periods without giving myself an ulcer worrying about when the down is going to come, mainly because as an outsider looking in I have no control over the situation anyway, something that seems to escape their thought's. 
There are also those who prepare for the worst and hope they are proved wrong, which is a view point I can sort of understand, it's the one's who seem to revel in being right in their view no matter how long they have to wait, that I don't understand at all. 

Morning, I think that people will have reservations...but I think that the current context enables supporters to appreciate that SL has responded...

Are we going to win everything? No.....but we have a real opportunity to improve and push on for the Prem in the next few seasons....

People are desperate for this to succeed......and who can blame them?

A respected manager with broad experience.....we all expected another cheap option......but we've bucked that trend...

All the nervousness will start once we are safe.....will he stay?

It wouldn’t shock me if it ended in tears , wither through a clash of personalities,  or Pearson being taken by a better job in the summer

However it’s absolutely the right appointment for me and going to enjoy it for what it is and the potential if it lasts

I would hope that Steve sits down one to one with Pearson (Possibly with Jon ) art some point , when he can , and has a deep and honest chat , and develop a bond and trust, in both directions 

Great opportunity for you Nigel , I will back you financially , and give a you time to really build something  - 

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There are also those who prepare for the worst and hope they are proved wrong, which is a view point I can sort of understand

I've been guilty as charged of this one on occasion ...

It's a perverse kind of antidote to hope - hope being the killer.

With NP I'm feeling (unusually) universal optimism here,,born from the knowledge that this is 'the' key moment,,the moment that can change so much that is so wrong within the inner sanctum of Ashton Gate.

This is going to be a fascinating little spell.

If Pearson is a roaring success it puts huge pressure on the model.

If Pearson flops then it will simply reflect on the Holden appointment, putting huge pressure on the model.

The end of season reassessment will suit both parties but Pearson holds all the cards. It would take a brave/foolish club to thank a candidate of his calibre, who has been resoundingly well received, for answering the SOS and then return to a more type appointment - a la Appleton. But I wouldn't rule it out.

I did think the wording of his tweet was interesting. For me there’s a difference between saying ‘..delighted to be back in management working for Bristol City’, which he did, and ‘..delighted to be back in management as the manager of Bristol City’, which he didn’t. Semantics, sure, but I thought that was interesting wording.

The reality here is that Pearson could be justifiably sacked for gross misconduct and people would blame the club for it not working. All credit to them, they needed to act quickly and they did, but this is a clear and understandable hitting of the panic button with avoiding relegation the only thing that matters.

Personally I think this is a good appointment and it’s a great shame that we did not appoint Pearson or a manager of similar calibre back in the summer.

I hope Pearson is able to halt the current slide down the table but if we are ultimately relegated at least I feel the club has attempted to fix its mistake. It can’t be criticised for that.

I just think it’s a great fit. Pearson is a man that says it how it is, but a lot more articulate/intelligent than his media persona of basically being just a motivator. I think he will also appreciate the way City do business, in particular how straightforward Steve Lansdown is. Especially having been at clubs like Derby & Watford. So you won’t be hearing that phrase from me, although it might happen! COYR 

As others have already said, it always ends in tears of some variety. But, the difference here is Lansdown has done what we’ve all been asking him to do for years. 

He’s actually genuinely given himself the best possible chance of success. It was done in league one with Cotts, but he bucked that trend with Johnson and Holden, instead appointing people he hoped could do well and instead of biting the bullet at numerous times, just threw further money at the problem. 

We now have a man who might not be the most manageable, but I would suggest that our chances of success, while obviously not guaranteed, are now fives times as likely as they’ve ever been in this league. We’ve finally invested in the most important area (albeit only for 6 months). 

My word I hope SL gets what he wants, because naivety in his appointments aside, he doesn’t half deserve it. 

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

As others have already said, it always ends in tears of some variety. But, the difference here is Lansdown has done what we’ve all been asking him to do for years. 

He’s actually genuinely given himself the best possible chance of success. It was done in league one with Cotts, but he bucked that trend with Johnson and Holden, instead appointing people he hoped could do well and instead of biting the bullet at numerous times, just threw further money at the problem. 

We now have a man who might not be the most manageable, but I would suggest that our chances of success, while obviously not guaranteed, are now fives times as likely as they’ve ever been in this league. We’ve finally invested in the most important area (albeit only for 6 months). 

My word I hope SL gets what he wants, because naivety in his appointments aside, he doesn’t half deserve it. 

Tears or not, as you say this is what the fans have been asking for. 

We can't change the past, just hope they learn from it and this appointment goes a good way to show they have.

If the club have 'nothing to hide' with injuries and transfers and NP commits longer term, no guarantees but it could be very exciting. 

It's possibly the most ambitious appointment we could have hoped for. 

Only time will judge whether it is a good one. No guarantees and looking through our recent history, there is potential for a short end-in-tears outcome (alla Coppell...).

But, on Lansdown's commitment and ambition, he really couldn't have done any more in the here and now. Well done! Tear endings notwithstanding.

I think we can all agree at this point in time that the club have done really well with this appointment.

If we continue to lose every game and get relegated, nobody can say "I told you so" and start criticising the club, despite the massive disappointment that it didn't turn out well. 

Unless you say here and now that this is a bad appointment that's not right for the club. Otherwise , you cannot come back on here in a few months time and say "I thought at the time NP wasn't right for us........SL didn't know what he was doing.......he just bowed to fan pressure etc etc" 

If it's a bad outcome just be disappointed and shut up.

1 hour ago, Redland said:

Personally I think this is a good appointment and it’s a great shame that we did not appoint Pearson or a manager of similar calibre back in the summer.

I hope Pearson is able to halt the current slide down the table but if we are ultimately relegated at least I feel the club has attempted to fix its mistake. It can’t be criticised for that.

Agree NP seems an excellent appointment, in terms of criticising the club my only beef is that this change should have been made weeks ago.

Whether NP has enough games to arrest our slide who knows, at least we have a chance now. 

One of the best appointments we could have made. Something I've not felt about a number of SL's previous managerial appointments and haven't been shy in saying so! Feels like Cotts or GJ. Whilst it may well end in tears - these things generally do - I can't fault SL's ambition.

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Pearson is the perfect fit for where we are as a club currently. Exactly what we need. 

Can't disagree. We needed someone that could come in and gets results quickly, but also someone with a proven track record of building great things at a club that was once in a similar position to ours, including promotion to the Premier League.

I believe Pearson ticks both boxes.

Even Paul Cook, for example, doesn't tick that second box.

Unrealistic candidates aside (eg Lampard, Howe) Pearson really does seem like the best appointment we could have made.

I don’t think many of us supporters believe that the structure of having a CEO managing ‘football’ matters is one that works. Sure we have sold some players for a good fee but have failed to replace them with players of good quality.

However I don’t think the signing of Nigel Pearson indicates that Lansdown is ready to change that structure. I truly believe that he feels that the structure is right, it’s just that he hasn’t yet appointed the right manager to work successfully  in that structure.

He has appointed Nigel Pearson as there is a more pressing priority – avoiding relegation and Nigel Pearson is the best appointment to achieve that. Once he achieves that then Lansdown will wheel in his next managerial choice to work with Mark Ashton, thanking Nigel Pearson for his service.

Nigel Pearson, for his part, is happy for this to happen as the lack of control over player signings is not an issue for him as his brief is to prevent relegation with the existing squad, for which he will be amply rewarded.

Lansdown has never shown any humility and admitted a mistake. He is not likely to change his club structure and admit a mistake. The only thing that might change that is for Pearson to be a roaring success and make Lansdown think hard about his structure. If that happens then Pearson will be off to a bigger club.

So I think the appointment is precisely what it says on the tin – until the end of the season.

Someone posted recently that every manager we have appointed in the last 30 years after they have left us has gone to a club lower in the pyramid & suggested that this reflected the calibre of our appointments.

This isn’t actually true (Pulis of all people breaks this rule) but the general point is well made, Coppell & arguably Wilson apart we tend to have appointed from those who are either unproven or have been successful lower down the leagues, like GJ.

If Pearson did leave us because he got a better offer then that would only be because he had done a decent job for the rest of the season.

I have been following long enough not to be naive but think that realistically that won’t happen, Pearson is 57 & this is probably as good a job as he’ll get. 

Provided this season goes ok (we don’t go down) I think he’ll start next season in charge & I’m optimistic.

As long as he gets us out the mire and rejuvenates the side, it's an appointment well made.

And short of getting Bentley to repeatedly throw the ball in his own net, I can't see how anyone can get that group of players performing worse than they have been in the past few games.

Whether Pearson is what we need in the long term is a moot point.

Let's see how he gets on. Will he get  just the 11 points we need or much, much more? Is he up for it permanently?  He's had spells of poor health, is he fit enough to continue coaching?  Lots of unknowables at this stage.

If we like him and he likes us, he'll sign a longer contract and we'll be in a much better position to judge what City might do under him when next season begins. He'll have a busy old summer if he stays, that's for sure.

Right now, of course, he's inheriting someone else's mess.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If we like him and he likes us, he'll sign a longer contract and we'll be in a much better position to judge what City might do under him when next season begins. He'll have a busy old summer if he stays, that's for sure.

For me, this whole "do we like each other" is simmering away in the back of my mind. Does SL already concede he isn't a yes man, and doesnt fit the required bcfc "profile", but just wants him to keep us up, before reverting back to aforementioned yes man in the summer?

Hope im wrong of course !

Archived