IGNORED

Is nobody going to say "it will all end in tears"?

Port Said Red

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

For me, this whole "do we like each other" is simmering away in the back of my mind. Does SL already concede he isn't a yes man, and doesnt fit the required bcfc "profile", but just wants him to keep us up, before reverting back to aforementioned yes man in the summer?

Hope im wrong of course !

Exactly. We really don't know how much appointing NP shows a different attitude from SL to running the club and how that dynamic works with Ashton. Are their truth in the Ipswich rumours? Time will tell.

As an opposition fan, Pearson's tactics and pre- and post-match analysis have got on my wick in the past. But that also suggests he's the sort of guy you want inside your tent pissing out rather than outside pissing in!

Maybe we'll lose this much remarked on reputation for being "too nice to be successful". 

54 minutes ago, Tonks55 said:

I don’t think many of us supporters believe that the structure of having a CEO managing ‘football’ matters is one that works. Sure we have sold some players for a good fee but have failed to replace them with players of good quality.

However I don’t think the signing of Nigel Pearson indicates that Lansdown is ready to change that structure. I truly believe that he feels that the structure is right, it’s just that he hasn’t yet appointed the right manager to work successfully  in that structure.

He has appointed Nigel Pearson as there is a more pressing priority – avoiding relegation and Nigel Pearson is the best appointment to achieve that. Once he achieves that then Lansdown will wheel in his next managerial choice to work with Mark Ashton, thanking Nigel Pearson for his service.

Nigel Pearson, for his part, is happy for this to happen as the lack of control over player signings is not an issue for him as his brief is to prevent relegation with the existing squad, for which he will be amply rewarded.

Lansdown has never shown any humility and admitted a mistake. He is not likely to change his club structure and admit a mistake. The only thing that might change that is for Pearson to be a roaring success and make Lansdown think hard about his structure. If that happens then Pearson will be off to a bigger club.

So I think the appointment is precisely what it says on the tin – until the end of the season.

It’s been really interesting reading and listening more about NP over the last few days....especially his relationship with Steve Walsh at Leicester.

Essentially he said he’s only really interested in recruitment when the recruitment team brings a target to him to get the ok to take to the board.  That sounds perfect for MA doesn’t it?

Before you start getting worried hear me out!!!

What he also went on to day was he really trusted Steve Walsh, that Walsh knew what he was looking at, what the team has, what the team haven’t got and what they need to get...and how that all fitted with team identity too.  Add to that, Walsh was a long time scout (Bury, Chester, and Chelsea before teaming up with NP) and you start to see that SW and MA are very different.  Couple that with SW’s brother being Mickey, and you start to see a footballing history to add to that. A proper football-man, not an administrator / negotiator.

If MA is still around if MP stays beyond this season, I see him having to build huge trust with NP or it will end horribly.

On 23/02/2021 at 15:04, Davefevs said:

It’s been really interesting reading and listening more about NP over the last few days....especially his relationship with Steve Walsh at Leicester.

Essentially he said he’s only really interested in recruitment when the recruitment team brings a target to him to get the ok to take to the board.  That sounds perfect for MA doesn’t it?

Before you start getting worried hear me out!!!

What he also went on to day was he really trusted Steve Walsh, that Walsh knew what he was looking at, what the team has, what the team haven’t got and what they need to get...and how that all fitted with team identity too.  Add to that, Walsh was a long time scout (Bury, Chester, and Chelsea before teaming up with NP) and you start to see that SW and MA are very different.  Couple that with SW’s brother being Mickey, and you start to see a footballing history to add to that. A proper football-man, not an administrator / negotiator.

If MA is still around if MP stays beyond this season, I see him having to build huge trust with NP or it will end horribly.

I remember Steve Walsh well, defender turned attacker, round the same time as Paul Warhurst doing the same. Point is, he was a footballer who played at the highest level so clearly, he knew a good player when he saw one...

13 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

I remember Steve Walsh well, defender turned attacker, round the same time as Paul Warhurst doing the same. Point is, he was a footballer who played at the highest level so clearly, he knew a good player when he saw one...

Believe it or not, it’s a different Steve Walsh!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Walsh_(scout)

this is the one you’re referring to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Walsh_(footballer)

Not sure if I buy this "he will be poached by a bigger club if he does well" mentality. 

If things are going well by the end of the season then it is a much bigger risk for him to go somewhere else with a fresh set of players and a different set of ideas. He will look at the time Lee Johnson was given and will see stability and the time to build something if he continues beyond this season. 

He has said himself he would love the job beyond this season, and he does not strike me as the sort of man who would say something just to please.

On 23/02/2021 at 11:01, Redpool said:

Every management appoint will always end in tears. It's the nature of football management. 

Let’s be positive.

He will get us to the Promised Land within four years. Give us a season or two in top flight and then at his age will become DOF to a younger manager.  He will be here for the long term

Believe!  He is the real thing.  First time since old Harry Thickett, do I feel so positive

On 23/02/2021 at 11:38, Redland said:

Personally I think this is a good appointment and it’s a great shame that we did not appoint Pearson or a manager of similar calibre back in the summer.

I hope Pearson is able to halt the current slide down the table but if we are ultimately relegated at least I feel the club has attempted to fix its mistake. It can’t be criticised for that.

Is he the one that SL wanted in the summer but he wasn't available due to Covid?

Archived