IGNORED

Middlesbrough (A) - Tues 23rd Feb 19:00 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

298 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Key things for me is the back 3 look solid. Mariappa central really looks great. All that experience, why not have him in the middle of the 3. Dominant. And seems like the organiser back there.

Kalas left of the 3 solid again, and suits him as we have seen him play well left side in a 2 and is helping Towler well.

Vyner bringing it out fantastically a couple of times. Very good defensively from him. We are not missing Mawson one bit which is nice to be able to say. Moore being dropped was a great decision.

The midfield pair of Bakinson and Nagy I thought looked very promising the one time they played alongside each other earlier in the season. I think the 352 suits them with that extra defender behind them.

I think they are complimenting each other so well. Nagy got the mobility, Bakinson got the height. Both technically so gifted. Both defensive midfielders who can break forward.

Palmer been a key player tonight for me. He's played well but it's mainly where he is. Had it been the Holden favourite 352 with Bakinson holding then Palmer would be deep alongside Nagy. We wouldn't have the support to Fam and Wells who would likely be too isolated.

I don't know why Holden never went with the 3412 but tonight looks like that to me. Palmer working so much harder since his return, he looks fitter. And this system is made for him.

We have 3 midfielders all with so much technical ability. But a nice bit of body strength and height and work rate all in their too. 

It's what has helped Fam and Wells a lot. I have been critical of them as a pair in the past. But this is their best performance since funnily enough Boro away end of last season.

Fam touches been a bit off at times like can be the case. He can't sprint all the time either. But he is certainly a handful for that Boro back line. Wells pace and work rate. We look dangerous up top. Very well taken goals by those two.

Wing backs? Well Hunt is having a hard time but understandable against that guy. But Hunt is working hard as ever there. Towler been very steady so far. I like it he keeps it simple. Composed and certainly not looked a weak link so far.

I think the major difference to holdens 352 was . Instead of a 6 & two 8’s 

tonight it was two 6’s &one8 

even though Nagy was getting beyond the ball at times ,he patrolled the part of the pitch around Bakinson really well+ tyreeq was back to his best . Gliding past people , fizzing balls into feet , Palmer hovering around for the feed offs . Round pegs round holes + a lot , myself included slagged off Simpson & Downing after Saturday for not changing too much . But you have to credit them for tonight . It’s quite easy to give the credit to NP  bit it’s the coaches who set this up not him. Which hopefully means we got even better to come . 

Delighted for the lads, delighted for Simpson and Downing, delighted for us fans, delighted for Lansdown and delighted for Pearson. 

A great response from Saturday and a perfect start for Pearson to go into training with.

They all played well out there and well done Towler, brilliant display for him. 

Upwards and onwards now City

4 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

I wonder if Nigel will be on the Team Bus on the way back down. It's about 5hr trip so maybe 6hrs on a coach? Imagine it's a gruelling trip if you've lost, but will be buzzing on the way home this time.

R Nige drives a 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier which hasn't been driven much under lockdown, so he took that up to Middlesbrough to give it a good run. He'll be driving it back. 

Nige spoke with the players before the game and I’ll bet that his presence really motivated them to perform as they did. They’d have all wanted to impress the new man and the ‘new manager bounce’ certainly seemed to have applied at the Riverside.

We saw tonight what they’re capable of so the ability was always there.but it took the sacking of Deano to get them going and you have to feel that they let him down and who knows maybe they felt guilty about that............:dunno: 

Its been a while but at least the feel good factor is back - for tonight at least.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

But why are we playing Fam. Surely his heart isn't in it ...... not !!  Is he just scoring so he can secure a transfer ?

Let’s hope he carries on like he did tonight (well after the first 6/7 mins).  I still stand by what I said pre-game, he didn’t deserve to start tonight based on his previous 5/6 games.  Looks like he found a reason to put in more effort than just going through the motions.  Still piss poor attitude that we are relying on Fam’s whims and when he wants to put it in!

Archived