IGNORED

Ryley Towler

Red Army 75

Not a lot more to add really, other than a great game and made it look as if he had 50 appearances behind him rather than the handful he has.

Carry on like that, and we've sorted the left back issue.

Also just to add, great move putting Kalas alongside him....

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

yes he was, surprised he was subbed 

I was surprised as well as I thought  he played really well . I played as a “normal” left back so tend  to look for your position & was worried for him pre game. He was brilliant . Got lucky first half when he switched off but the ball in behind wasn’t great . Main thing with the kids is concentration but that will come . Never have for joe Bryan though . RT. Grew  into the game . 

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Having the confidence in knowing Kalas was behind him really helped. He was able to get more into the wing back role and push forward. 

Thankfully this will hopefully put the memories of that Watford game behind him. 

You could see a lot of direction being given by TK, as I’d expect.  Keeping him narrow if Boro were on the opposite half of the pitch and then as they came across he pushed him onto Fisher (first half).  Kalas played a little wider too, meaning he covered a lot of headers too, and Towler was able to pick up the pieces.  Good team work.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He does look so quick doesn't he. Having seen him play a bit for the 23s that is the one thing I didn't notice. Very much like a Lloyd Kelly.

Couple of you saying he’s quick.  Not seen that in him (yet).  He’s a tall lad so not really want to see him have to stretch it out to see if he is or not.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Don’t think he will stay Left (wing)back long-term. Looks like an incredibly intelligent left centre half to me. His awareness when making blocks, key headers, interceptions and tackles was what most impressed me tonight. 

Looks nearly ready for LCB maybe except needs to bulk out a bit. Still very young but if he is evidence of the quality coming from Academy, we have a future to look forward to.

He did well last night but he did well against Brentford the other week too and then obviously the next game was Watford.

It is great he is being praised but, if he is out left back/left wing back until senior players are fit again, I really hope fans will be patient and not get on his back too much when he inevitably has games that don’t quite go so well.

I think there can be a tendency to write young players off after one or two poor matches but he - like the other young players in the team - needs time and support to develop into someone who can play well consistently. Hopefully we’ve now got a manager who can give those players the leadership and advice they need to do that.

10 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Funny that only just over a year ago I'm pretty sure he was making his debut for Taunton Town (no disrespect to them) and now he's more than holding his own in a good performance against a team hanging around the top 6 of the Championship. Great to see!

Just shows that sometimes all someone needs is a chance, perhaps we may see more lads given a game at first team level before deciding they need a loan 

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Just shows that sometimes all someone needs is a chance, perhaps we may see more lads given a game at first team level before deciding they need a loan 

Yeah it's difficult though I think. Giving them their first go in an unhappy or struggling squad could probably do more harm than good - if last night was another Watford he'd be feeling totally deflated, arguments in the squad, everyone unhappy, his own confidence about his ability wavering and so on. But then if a squad is flying you're less likely to want to change it and give a kid a go.

Personally I think the most important thing is to have a Kalas or equivalent next to a younger player (and is why Kalas was probably my MoM last night), and I'd also like to see them brought on with 20m to go more often rather than starting or getting 2m at the end.

I suppose as well you'd hope the coaches would have seen them enough to know a bit more accurately where they are on the Southern League Premier South (Taunton Town) -> Championship scale!

40 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Had a solid game last night and looked very composed. Playing captain fantastic Kalas along side was the difference. Tinnion mentioned this several times just knowing Kalas had your back would give you confidence to play 

Can be as simple as the right partnerships in the pitch.  Some work, some don’t, some look completely wrong, but work (Pato and Weimann), some look perfect, but don’t (Diedhiou and Weimann).

It certainly looked like having Kalas inside of him worked a treat.

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I’m all for a bit of sink or swim.  And even if an 18 year old sinks, he can try and swim again later.  You don’t have to write-off....but definitely worth giving a chance at least.

Young Towler was in Saar’s pocket at Watford and when he was subbed discovered he had a new asshole. He did really well to recover from that mauling and put in a solid display last night. Fair play to the lad - certainly has potential as Kelly did before him - let’s hope Nige doesn’t have to sell him as part of the sustainability policy.

12 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Looks great, certainly a tidy player but I really think Dasilva is gonna flourish under Pearson

I think you could be right.....injuries permitting. This for me is a huge concern with Dasilva.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it's crazy isn't it.

I think Zak Smith may have played right back/right wing back for the 23s yesterday. Opi Edwards played there but more of a winger. 

We don't really seem to produce them! But looking at left back: 

Bryan, Kelly, Pring, Towler, Nurse, Soady and Harper

Brad Webb too.

Archived