IGNORED

Palmer's defensive improvement?

Mr Popodopolous

Seems to be improving out of possession, pleasing to see.

We all know he can do some excellent things with the ball but some tracking back, workrate. Few stats:

Ground Duels Won- 5/10 and Aerial Duels=4/7.

2 Clearances, 6 Interceptions and 3 Tackles- was dribbled past only twice.

This has to set a standard. A lot of pleasing things tonight from the team- hopefully this is something to benchmark against moving forward- and build on as sides can always improve.

I posted something similar in another thread. He’s doesn’t always make the block and gets turned or gives away a foul, but I’ve always found him a hard working player.  I think he’s someone who needs to play to keep him topped up fitness wise. 
It’s lazy to call him lazy.

47 minutes ago, Henry said:

I posted something similar in another thread. He’s doesn’t always make the block and gets turned or gives away a foul, but I’ve always found him a hard working player.  I think he’s someone who needs to play to keep him topped up fitness wise. 
It’s lazy to call him lazy.

100 zillion percent.

He's never lacked effort....he needs games to keep himself topped up.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We all know he can do some excellent things with the ball but some tracking back, workrate. Few stats:

This has to set a standard. A lot of pleasing things tonight from the team- hopefully this is something to benchmark against moving forward- and build on as sides can always improve.

I love players like Kasey but have always said , you can’t carry anyone in the  championship . He never lacked effort but thought he wasted it . He was better than most Saturday & excellent tonight for a hour before tiring . Well done Kasey 

Have never bought into this ‘ he’s lazy nonsense’. I’ve always felt he works hard, but maybe lacks the stamina, sometimes positional sense. On the flip side of that, is he needs games to build that up. I think his persona or body language of being very casual ( I call it calm) on the ball also makes him an easy target for the ‘ lazy ‘ label. COYR 

As others have said, I've never seen this "laziness" that gets mentioned when it comes to Kasey Palmer. 

Over-playing in areas he shouldn't? yes. But laziness, I'd disagree. 

Anyway, another good performance from KP. How many games have we won now when he has started since returning from Swansea? More than we've lost I suspect.  

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest, do you have those same stats for Nagy and Bakinson?

21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I love players like Kasey but have always said , you can’t carry anyone in the  championship . He never lacked effort but thought he wasted it . He was better than most Saturday & excellent tonight for a hour before tiring . Well done Kasey 

Yeah with proper direction, his effort and energy- off the ball, out of possession can be more effective. Good to see by Kasey, hope he keeps it up.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Out of interest, do you have those same stats for Nagy and Bakinson?

More to be expected from those 2 but...

Nagy

Ground Duels Won- 6/8 and Aerial Duels=1/2.

3 Clearances, 4 Tackles and Dribbled Past Once.

Bakinson

Ground Duels Won- 3/5 and Aerial Duels=3/5.

3 Clearances, 1 Blocked Shot and Dribbled Past Once.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah with proper direction, his effort and energy- off the ball, out of possession can be more effective. Good to see by Kasey, hope he keeps it up.

More to be expected from those 2 but...

Nagy

Ground Duels Won- 6/8 and Aerial Duels=1/2.

3 Clearances, 4 Tackles and Dribbled Past Once.

Bakinson

Ground Duels Won- 3/5 and Aerial Duels=3/5.

3 Clearances, 1 Blocked Shot and Dribbled Past Once.

Thanks - yes not as comparison to Palmer but main one I wondered about was Nagy: 6/8 in ground duels and tackles as I felt that has been missing from his game lately. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He has never lacked the effort that some would say. I think he lacked fitness and direction. He could be a real asset going forward with a manager who has had his fair share of flair players. 

He definitely defended within a team pattern and his energy was good.  In the past he used to chase down players and attempted sliding blocks or tackles.   Always felt like he was playing to the crowd instead of keeping his discipline within the team's shape.  Much better tonight and a real team performance.  Well done Kasey 

I would say that pretty well a majority on here have been pretty scathing of Palmer - certainly since he signed permanently.

The major criticisms cast him as little more than a show pony/luxury player , citing weaknesses such as work rate, tracking back, tackling and the like.

Since his return from Swansea, when we have been at our worst for some time, with, by common consent, many players appearing down tools, this “show pony” appears to have worked as hard and shown as much spirit as anyone, even when he wasn’t being played in his best position and when others around him weren’t performing.

With a team set up as last night he again showed what he can bring to the team.

Fingers crossed that he will be given a chance to continue this under Pearson.

40 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Disappointed that Gregor only rated him a 7. Thought he deserved an 8

Reading Gregor’s comments about MA’s “chemistry” ( or apparent lack of) with Pearson, Perhaps Kasey was lucky to get a 7!

I didn't think he that defensive duties suited him (more for characteristics than simple laziness), but recently he's proving me wrong. Using his creative skills as best he can and adding some tackles here and there: that's what he needs to become a regular starter and ''win'' the duel with Pato.

Archived