IGNORED

did anyone else notice this tactic tonight

big dosser

bents looking to give it short to let the boro players press and get sucked in. then are whole back line sprinted out and bents kicked long which was given us the numbers and space to create the chances and goals. nice to see a bit of mixing it up with old style football than all the tippy tappy around the back

18 minutes ago, big dosser said:

bents looking to give it short to let the boro players press and get sucked in. then are whole back line sprinted out and bents kicked long which was given us the numbers and space to create the chances and goals. nice to see a bit of mixing it up with old style football than all the tippy tappy around the back

About time too! I’ve got no problem with playing it out from the back, but it’s always driven me nuts when we’ve done it for the sake of it despite being closed down and losing the ball or being forced to kick it long anyway. So it’s good there was some variety tonight. 

55 minutes ago, big dosser said:

Been moaning about for weeks.  I think Mariappa got Kalas up the pitch than when Kalas is central.

8 hours ago, Kibs said:

The two outside center halves definitely played wider when we had possession too, which in turn pushed the wing-backs further up the pitch. No idea why we haven't done it previously.  

Said on another thread last night we'd set up with more width / intent 

Clearly the shape/set up/team selection from NP in "consultation" with the 'chucklebrothers,,not by them!!

9 hours ago, Kibs said:

The two outside center halves definitely played wider when we had possession too, which in turn pushed the wing-backs further up the pitch. No idea why we haven't done it previously.  

Yeah, just little tweaks, but makes a big difference. Seemed to me from what I saw that Mariappa was possibly a bit more vocal than Kalas as well, directing people, pushing people up. Also think it would of helped Towler having Kalas just inside him & backing him up, he smells danger better than most. COYR 

27 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yeah, just little tweaks, but makes a big difference. Seemed to me from what I saw that Mariappa was possibly a bit more vocal than Kalas as well, directing people, pushing people up. Also think it would of helped Towler having Kalas just inside him & backing him up, he smells danger better than most. COYR 

Putting Mariappa in the middle was a great move full stop.  I can see BN going to a 4 pretty quickly and the best 2 CBs we have are TK & AM.  Personally I'd put RT & ZV as full backs to make us nice and solid and build from there.  BN isn't really known for attacking full backs thankfully.  He sees the position for what it is - defence first.  People forget we beat Man U with 4 CHs as the back 4.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Putting Mariappa in the middle was a great move full stop.  I can see BN going to a 4 pretty quickly and the best 2 CBs we have are TK & AM.  Personally I'd put RT & ZV as full backs to make us nice and solid and build from there.  BN isn't really known for attacking full backs thankfully.  He sees the position for what it is - defence first.  People forget we beat Man U with 4 CHs as the back 4.

Yep, surprised it's not been done already which suggests to me Pearson may have had an input on team selection. 

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Who is BN? Am I losing it? Senility beckons!

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks. Why use intials when names are only a couple of letters longer? And why initialise your nickname for Pearson?

It's hard enough at my age to keep up with Media speak.

At your age you do well to keep up with the days of the week.

Just for the record I was struggling with BN .

52 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yes, pretty clear.

AM: I’m setting the line, when we play, when we don’t, Tomas, you just play your game, and coax Ryley through it, concentrate on that.

Mariappa has rarely looked like an ex-Prem defender until last night.  When I compare to Ashley Williams, bar the red mist, Williams contributed so much more.  But LB, LWB certainly ain’t his position.  He was outstanding last night.

10 hours ago, Kibs said:

confidence, and fear of failure.

You need confidence to be brave on a football pitch. When you aren't playing with confidence your natural habit is to "not make a mistake" or be solid over "lets try and put a mark on this game". Playing on the back foot instead of the front foot.

If you're scared to make a mistake which happens on bad runs, you'll never make those brave moves or take up those positions. A centre back will sit narrower and deeper to protect the goal, a full back/wing back wont get forward as much, a midfield will sit deeper, a striker/attacking mid might not make those selfless runs to create space because they're worried about being out of position.

Why are we so obsessed with playing out from the back all the time.

Liverpool won the Prem last year by hitting their forwards as quickly and as often as possible.

What's wrong with a long goal kick every now and then with a good chase. Very often you get a throw in deep in the opposition half.

Its seems to me the reason why so many teams play better away from home nowadays is because their main attacking ploy is to nick the ball from an opposition messing around on the edge of their own box.

If the goalkeeper or centre half sees a forward making a run or in good space why not give it to him.

If a defence knows that a team will always try to play out, they can set up for that but if they also have to be careful of long ball to a good target man or a speedy forward in the channels they will play deeper creating more space to paly in.

I am not saying we should hit it long all day but a good mix is best. 

12 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

At your age you do well to keep up with the days of the week.

Just for the record I was struggling with BN .

@Abraham Romanovich

It's the lowest form of wit!

I hope you feel as good as I do. Started jogging again to get fit for when I can play table tennis again at U3A. (Posh name for OAP'S)

Nil carborundum illegitum!

Archived