IGNORED

Disgusted with the players attitude

Sniper

Am I happy that we've got Nigel in, yes of course.

Am I happy that we stopped the rot tonight, yes or course.

Am I happy with the players, like **** am I.

Dumb and Dumber picked the team against Barnsley and we lost at a whimper like the previous games!

Dumb and Dumber picked the team tonight?

So Nigel popped in and said hello, then they played like that, really!

They play when they want, and the point of this rant is I feel so sorry for Dean, why couldn't they play like that for him?

Misdirected anger in my opinion. I dont want to slag off Holden here, he was a good man and he tried.

Ultimately anyone that watched Simpsons post match interview on Saturday and his pre match today could see the world of difference, and the mental advantage that it afforded us. I feel bad for Holden because he faced a shitter hand than most managers get dealt, but it was the hand he got and he will learn from it.

Now we are seeing the upside of a shit situation and we could all probably do better than to point fingers or lay blame, because we have an experienced quality manager at least until the end of the season and seen an immediate upturn in form.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Dumb and Dumber picked the team against Barnsley and we lost at a whimper like the previous games!

They play when they want, and the point of this rant is I feel so sorry for Dean, why couldn't they play like that for him?

You are right, it’s not fair that they are crap for ages then suddenly improve as soon as the new man sets foot in the building but its happened at so many clubs over the years and isn’t particular to our current squad.

That’s the way it works, they weren’t playing like this for Holden because he wasn’t motivating them sufficiently and they didn’t believe in what he was asking them to do. So I think he must take a portion of the blame for not doing his job well enough. The people that are mostly to blame are the people that appointed him in the first place though as most of us could envisage it panning out like this.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Because he was a clueless pratt?

Unfortunately modern football creates modern footballers. Sulky, petulant, overpaid, mollycoddled etc. It's too easy to just blame Holden's tactics, they stopped playing for him a while back imo. 

Or, maybe a lot of them are now getting excited about the clubs future and want to be a part of it?

I dunno, whatever the reason I'm just effin glad it's happened. 

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

If this was the case they were letting the club down the supporters down and also themselves down as professional players.

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure why anyone thinks they weren't trying. We were just rubbish. Poorly set up by Holden in recent months.

Agreed. It is hard to pull yourself out of a bad run. It is easy to say try harder but when you have lost a few in a row and that first goal goes in, it is tough mentally. Especially if you have little faith in they guy making decisions. I can’t say I’d react well in the same circumstances. 

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

Personally I am disgusted by those who just insult the coaches and think it’s clever. 
City looked good last night. Showed that the players we have fit can do it when they are well focused, played in their best position, set up well and get a bit of luck (they could have conceded early and heads could have gone down). 
To pretend the bad run is just to do with players not trying is absurd. It happens at all clubs and it will happen at city again at some point. 

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

I think DH had long enough to get the players to play for him and he couldn’t do it,  I don’t believe the players downed tools for months on end, maybe the last couple of games, but DH was not up to the job

The players can repent by saving our season and Championship status to make up for their poor performances and attitudes on the pitch so far this season.

Then they can do one when their contracts run out and enjoy the fun of getting a job elsewhere in this COVID impacted football world. Good luck to them. They should have tried harder here.

I know I'm probably the only one who might feel like this, but I dont want people who earn huge amounts of money playing for City that down tools when the going gets tough. When did that become acceptable and the norm here?

Their performances of late, compared to the first half last night was more than just being played out of position and tactics. Attitudes and application were a different level.

If you look at the mood on these boards pre-matchon Saturday and the mood on these boards yesterday you’d have seen a completely different mood amongst pretty much all the posters and an optimism that was not there before. Why wouldn’t players be the same?

I get it is frustrating but players are human. People who aren’t confident in their jobs, aren’t sure where things are going and who are plagued by uncertainty struggle to perform well at work. People who feel their organisation has direction, who feel there is a clear plan and who are optimistic for the future tend to perform well. 

It’s not really surprising that, even before he has done anything, the appointment of a respected manager known for good, clear leadership has lifted the mood of the players and it is not surprisingly that the change in psychology has changed to a change in performance.

People often criticise players’ attitudes as though they are wholly within the control of players but anyone who has ever had a job knows that how your manager and your organisations acts and communicates affects how confident, motivated and optimistic you feel and how confident, motivated and optimistic you feel has a huge effect on your performance.

Holden seemed like a good man but his job was to get players putting in the kind of performance you put in when you are confident, motivated and optimistic and he was not achieving that.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

If you look at the mood on these boards pre-matchon Saturday and the mood on these boards yesterday you’d have seen a completely different mood amongst pretty much all the posters and an optimism that was not there before. Why wouldn’t players be the same?

I get it is frustrating but players are human. People who aren’t confident in their jobs, aren’t sure where things are going and who are plagued by uncertainty struggle to perform well at work. People who feel their organisation has direction, who feel there is a clear plan and who are optimistic for the future tend to perform well. 

It’s not really surprising that, even before he has done anything, the appointment of a respected manager known for good, clear leadership has lifted the mood of the players and it is not surprisingly that the change in psychology has changed to a change in performance.

People often criticise players’ attitudes as though they are wholly within the control of players but anyone who has ever had a job knows that how your manager and your organisations acts and communicates affects how confident, motivated and optimistic you feel and how confident, motivated and optimistic you feel has a huge effect on your performance.

Holden seemed like a good man but his job was to get players putting in the kind of performance you put in when you are confident, motivated and optimistic and he was not achieving that.

I was literally just about to type the same!
Blimey, the mood changed immediately!

Both the coaches said it wasn’t for lack of trying.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago titled “Can the Players be enjoying it?”. Crux of that was that playing as we did, playing ultra defensive, inviting pressure and hoping to nick a goal was mentally as well as physically draining. That was confirmed in Kalas’s interview Saturday when he expressed sickness at that approach.

Yesterday, we attacked. We tried to play football. And the players responded and enjoyed it.

It was never about players not trying. It was about the way we setup making them look garbage.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No idea who planned the media stuff for today (we are now Wednesday), but it looks like it ensured pure focus on the Boro game.  Good decision.

Read somewhere that it was Nige’s call. Pure class from the bloke and it sure paid dividends! 

Last night we saw Wells play closer to another forward than we have done for almost a year. You could see in Wells and Diedhiou goal celebrations and the way they congratulated each other when Wells was substituted that there is a friendship there. 
Mariappa (no idea how to spell his name) played in a position that we’ve not seen him play in, which was more his favourite position. 
Ryley Towler had Nagy noticing him and protecting him. 
Palmer given more freedom and further up field, linking midfield to the front line. 
The players playing with more freedom like the fear of attacking was taken away from them. 
Players thinking we’ve got a manager that can push them and be in with a chance of playing and learning from. Would not surprise me if Fammy’s agent contacted him after the announcement and said maybe we need to be here now. 

Play players in their correct positions, allow them freedom and this is what you get. They wasn’t not trying, they just could not see the plan. Barnsley was too soon for Simpson and Dowling after they’ve gone along with DH ideas. Plus they didn’t know if they were staying or leaving. 
They’ve all had a lift, the players playing for someone who will lead. Simpson and Dowling probably will be given a chance to coach alongside someone they respect. 

5 hours ago, Gakoe said:

Unfortunately modern football creates modern footballers. Sulky, petulant, overpaid, mollycoddled etc. It's too easy to just blame Holden's tactics, they stopped playing for him a while back imo. 

Or, maybe a lot of them are now getting excited about the clubs future and want to be a part of it?

I dunno, whatever the reason I'm just effin glad it's happened. 

I have been watching football for 55 years and it's never been any different, it has nothing to do with the modern footballer and every to do with confidence and belief.

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

The concept of impressing the new boss is nothing new, its basic human behaviour and clearly shows the previous leadership wasn’t effective.

The atmosphere will have changed within the group & optimism starts to break through. It is even evident on here too as contributors attitudes have changed & we as a group also become increasingly optimistic.

KD says NP met the players yesterday afternoon & he asked them to show off their obvious ability.

To me that shows he’s motivated the players through success rather than fear which is also going to be a key factor in the improvement of the stating 11

1 hour ago, Capman said:

Personally I am disgusted by those who just insult the coaches and think it’s clever. 
City looked good last night. Showed that the players we have fit can do it when they are well focused, played in their best position, set up well and get a bit of luck (they could have conceded early and heads could have gone down). 
To pretend the bad run is just to do with players not trying is absurd. It happens at all clubs and it will happen at city again at some point. 

Good honest Pros Simpson and Downing. Sad but typical they are getting silly names. Dignified chaps who deserve respect. They've kept things calm. Take note herein.

It's not just true of football, any 'team' working under a dweeb of a leader is far more likely to under perform than not. 

Truth is you have to get the players playing in their strongest position and that goes for a manager too. We put a weak inexperienced manager in charge (through no fault of his own) , eventually that was always gonna cause a problem. 

Right players, in the right positions, led by the right manager and hopefully it'll be onwards and upwards now. 

In my experience, it's the same in any organisation, not just football. Confidence in the leadership, confidence in the team. Leaders don't tell people what to do every minute, they give their staff the confidence to achieve to their maximum ability. And the freedom to do so - and to make mistakes in the process.

City tonight looked like they had a focus, and a plan. Perfect? Hell, no. But confident and purposeful.

Leadership.

Oh, and insulting the coaches - former England coaches - is really poor. Show some class.

Not so dumb and dumber now.

So disrespectful.

The team was set up really well last night. Kalas on the left and offering protection to Towler. Bakinson and Nagy were impeccable.

Anyone notice how much better we played without Lansbury? He is unfit and not match ready at the moment IMO.

Simpson and Downing deserve some credit after all the unhelpful and short-sighted abuse they received.

I take the point and I know a lot of fans feel the same but I said on another thread that I don’t agree it’s as simple as players turning it off and on. 

Firstly, Dean never played that team. Kalas on left, marriapa middle, midfield three that complement each other, wells actually as striker in effective front two. So you have to accept that tactics and player selection matter or you say they don’t and it’s all down to players wanting to turn it in and off. 

But secondly, confidence in football is obviously a complex thing. We saw that in second half with a bit of reversion to the last few months. It’s clearly a mindset - they are not entirely comfortable with winning at the moment.

It can’t be as simple as players decide whether or not to be motivated and confident. Lots of things feed into that and ultimately the manager needs to take responsibility for it. 

As a side note, this whole ‘dean should never have been put in that position, it’s not his fault..’ argument. If I was DH I would find that so patronising. Imagine if someone said that about you and your job. Dean was ambitious, he saw a chance to progress and he went for it, interviewed well and got the job. It didn’t work out but I don’t think we do him any favours by pitying him for being ‘put in that position’. He was given a privilege of being a football manager, not asked to selflessly take on some brave mission. If that was me, I’d feel much worse about people pitying me than I would about it not working out.

Archived