IGNORED

Dumb and Dumber? Undeserved Tag.

Port Said Red

There seems to be a consensus on here that Simpson and Downing are equally to blame for the downturn as Holden, but I am not so sure.

The Dumb and Dumber tag is hugely unfair, they were brought in with the remit to develop our youngsters to the next level on the back of excellent records with English youth teams and initially that was looking a good move. 

There were comments on the threads from the Failand training, remarking on the refreshing "heads up, looking to play the ball forward as a first option" instructions from Simpson in particular, and a general positive air.

The first few teams picked had a youthful look, young players coming of the bench and a general good feeling. Then Holden seemed to get cautious, the average age of the team got older and older and the younger players became rooted to the bench. The only exceptions were those forced upon him by injuries.

He also got more and more defensive in his mindset until the team just became immobilised. 

The comments that have come out since Holden left have alluded to that, Kalas saying we can't just defend for 90 minutes, Simpsons comments about taking the shackles off as examples.

As with LJ, I am sure the coaches try to steer the team in certain directions, but ultimately the man at the top makes the decisions. Last night's team was almost a perfect mix of youth and experience and the young players were placed in positions where they could expect support from their senior colleagues.

It was also more like the sort of team "Dumb and Dumber" would have been hoping to be coaching. The shackles did come off, it took two matches which is not really surprising, but I think as much credit should be given to them as the arrival of Pearson.

It’s obviously rude and harsh that label two experienced coaches like that, but hey it’s a football forum and we get a bit of poetic licence. I personally avoided it but never bothered when other people did.
Ultimately we’ve got no idea what the coaches each do or don’t contribute but I do get good vibes from Simpson and his interviews are really honest.

I liked Paul Simpson’s interview after the game on Saturday, where he said they need to sort the situation out ASAP. He’s been totally honest and upfront with his evaluation of what needed to be done. I think both him and Keith could be worthy of their roles in the coming months.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I really liked the bit where he said “I feel lucky to still be working.”

Thats a good level of honesty to have. 

I also picked up on that. What he's saying is true, but to me it didn't indicate a great deal of confidence in his own ability.

He genuinely seems to feel partly culpable for the Holden situations o perhaps that is a factor.

What I did like was his honesty that we did probably need someone like Pearson to come in.

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Simpson did a pretty candid interview pre-match, worth a watch - fairly revealing I felt.

Yeah - was a really good interview. He came across really well and as very thoughtful. 

To the original point, I hate the D&D tag and hope people using it maybe think about it a bit more (and then stop).

1 minute ago, Clevedon Red said:

Agreed he seemed to be casting out his demons and being....well...a good human. I like Paul and hope he stays on. 

I wouldn't want the existing coaching staff to stay on at the expense of Pearson being allowed to appoint who he wants.

If he's happy to work in the existing structure then fine, but there's no point bringing in Pearson then limiting him through keeping on existing staff for sentiment's sake. 

When I saw the team selection just before kick off, I thought that we had picked a side of square pegs in square holes. I have only just listened to Paul Simpson's pre match thoughts and he said round pegs in round holes.

Not necessarily the best players at the club from those not injured, but the best for their position on the field. By doing so, we created a fairly solid defence, a midfield that worked extremely hard in defence and attack to provide us with the chances up front that were eagerly taken by Fan and Nakhi.

We had bits of luck as Boro' were not able to make the most of their chances but a thoroughly deserved win.

I don't normally like to single out any one player from a good team effort, but what a performance from Kasey Palmer. He surprised me and probably most of our fans with the sort of effort that is needed in modern midfield football.

COYREDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn't want the existing coaching staff to stay on at the expense of Pearson being allowed to appoint who he wants.

If he's happy to work in the existing structure then fine, but there's no point bringing in Pearson then limiting him through keeping on existing staff for sentiment's sake. 

Agreed.   Simpson is honest and likeable, talks some sense and clearly takes some credit for tactical tweaking last night.  I certainly don't blame him (or Holden really) for the last 6 months.  It was MA's decision and a  shockingly bad one as we now know. 

However, if Nige has long term plans to be with us, he must be allowed to bring his own team in.  

It's been said by the club that they haven't been able to coach as normal, not been able to use the new facilities but not to be able to get the squads together as they'd like due to the situation. 
I do wonder who's idea it was to be so direct in the previous 2 games, it did look like a plan, a shit one , but a plan. Last night was polar opposite, played quickly through midfield, runners and with Palmer & Bakinson in there, players able to see and find those runs. Little more care and we could have had a couple more.
Be an interesting run in , Pearson has a chance to see what they are made of, might be a good fit. Time will tell.

55 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Simpson did a pretty candid interview pre-match, worth a watch - fairly revealing I felt.

I was going to write about PSs interview but seem to have been beaten to it.

From that interview, and he put it in diplomatic terms, I think PD and Downing are equally glad to see the back of Holden. Not because of any malicious reasons, but clearly because he was not up to the job and perhaps this was rubbing off on all others including those two.  They get a fresh start for me now. 

59 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Said in another topic that some of the stick these guys have been getting is OTT, given DH was ultimately responsible for the team. Their track record (especially Simpson) demands a little more respect (2 promotions and a youth World Cup win for PS). 

I like Simpson, he’s bloody honest, but ultimately on Saturday, having talked about shackles and all that, they set us up awfully.  Simpson’s post-match interview was awful, like he couldn’t wait to get out of here. So they did deserve stick on Saturday imho.

So, good news in many respects that last night’s pre-match presser was enthusiastic.  Maybe him and Downing had been dragged down.

It rubbed off on the players too last night.

Maybe work had become a “chore”.

Fingers crossed its onwards and upwards from this point onwards.

Yes for me they've had some unfair abuse, as has almost everyone at the club at some point this season. 

Think Simpson has interview very well - enjoyed the 'real' honesty from him.

Big credit for last night. I said after Barnsley what can they do in 2 days training. Well they were on top of it last night.

There were so many changes in player positions and style of football last night I am not convinced it was down to them. Although NP was watching from the stands, it does not mean he had not given some suggestions to set up and play, after watching old matches or talking with Mariappa. 

Of course its possible its down to the coaches if do fair dos. They will be under review by NP like everyone else but seem excited to work with them

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

There seems to be a consensus on here that Simpson and Downing are equally to blame for the downturn as Holden, but I am not so sure.

Can you show some (any) quotes of people saying that?

I think they did things in the Barnsley game that were dumber than dumb with the team selection. They had their opportunity to show they weren't dumb and dumber against Barnsley, picked Lansbury, Moore at LCB and isolated Fam up front. They deserved that tag then IMO.

Much better yesterday of course, but a much different line up, tactics and a much different person watching on. Do you get credit for putting round pegs in round holes? Do you get credit for not eating crayons?

That's as managers though, maybe they are great coaches, we'll see, or they get fired and we won't.

They weren't equally responsible, but they were partly responsible, and Barnsley proved it IMO.

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Can you show some (any) quotes of people saying that?

I think they did things in the Barnsley game that were dumber than dumb with the team selection. They had their opportunity to show they weren't dumb and dumber against Barnsley, picked Lansbury, Moore at LCB and isolated Fam up front. They deserved that tag then IMO.

Much better yesterday of course, but a much different line up, tactics and a much different person watching on. Do you get credit for putting round pegs in round holes? Do you get credit for not eating crayons?

That's as managers though, maybe they are great coaches, we'll see, or they get fired and we won't.

They weren't equally responsible, but they were partly responsible, and Barnsley proved it IMO.

I don't think you need to be so pernickety - the general mood seemed to be that they all needed to go. Any regular poster or reader over the last week knows that, doesn't need people to back up everything they say with verbatim quotes.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think you need to be so pernickety - the general mood seemed to be that they all needed to go. Any regular poster or reader over the last week knows that, doesn't need people to back up everything they say with verbatim quotes.

It's not the same thing though is it?

It likes me saying something is Tuesday when it's Saturday. 

image.png.edd9153863766e77b9b0126a907be011.png

But it's definitely not worth being "pernickety" about such things..right? ?

Of course it is, because stating untrue things is unhelpful.

11 minutes ago, Prinny said:

So they get the blame when they take charge and things don't work, but you imply the credit should go to someone else when things go well?

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It's not the same thing though is it?

It likes me saying something is Tuesday when it's Saturday. 

image.png.edd9153863766e77b9b0126a907be011.png

But it's definitely not worth being "pernickety" about such things..right? ?

Of course it is, because stating untrue things is unhelpful.

Hahaha!

The thing is, we already have @BS4 on Tour... as chief fact checker and pedant on here - this forum is NOT big enough for the both of you!

4 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

So they get the blame when they take charge and things don't work, but you imply the credit should go to someone else when things go well?

There's question marks there for a reason. I don't know how to apportion credit in this case. How much of it was them do you think?

It's not they get none, and for me it's not they get all. So what amount is it? I think they should have some. :)

And I should clarify, I don't think that Barnsley was ALL their fault either, there's the legacy of Holden (and Johnson) there still, you can throw in Ashton and Lansdown too.

My point is, when they had control vs Barnsley they did wrong things, IMO, so I don't think they're great, caus that's them in as much isolation (as a duo which makes it even harder) as you can get.

Thought I was sticking my head over the parapet with last night’s posting about Simpson and was expecting to be shot down.

Pleasantly surprised by the tone of this morning thread.

Tell you what though, and it’s a very, very minor point in the wider scheme of things -as my Mum would say - he does look like he’s been dragged through a hedge backwards sometimes. Shows how ‘old school’ I am maybes, but he turned up in jeans for the press conference when everyone else was suited and booted. Then every subsequent interview, well, some people can carry unshaven look, he’s one who can’t. 

Clearly, he hasn’t received Steve’s ‘dress and appearances’ email.

Seems a nice bloke though (or good human), and better still and, most importantly, talks a lot of football sense. 

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

There's question marks there for a reason.

I don't know how to apportion credit in this case. How much of it was them do you think?

It's not they get none, and for me it's not they get all. So what amount is it? I think they should have some. :)

It seemed to me that your questions were rhetorical.

I agree with you. It is difficult to apportion credit. 

I also think it should be much more difficult to apportion blame. How much of Saturday's performance was a hangover from how Holden was instructing? How much of it is down to the players? What were Downing & Simpson's instructions and were they followed? 

Like you, I don't have the answers, just more questions. I will admit I find it frustrating on here that blame is apportioned so easily. It is unbalanced. 

Archived