IGNORED

Today's press conference

RedJim

1 hour ago, Desso said:

Obviously a good manager but a fall asleep voice.

I agree he has a very calming voice but not necessarily one to send you to sleep - it's amazing how powerful a selective silence can be, and slow considered speaking. Some of the best leaders (and actors) have used it to great effect to exude confidence and have everyone hanging off their every word. I think NP will get that.

I find it a lot more easy to switch off when I hear inexperienced coaches waffling their way through answers as if they have to fill every space with their voice. It betrays a lack of confidence substituted for bluster. I imagine (or least hope) NP uses silence and brevity to speak thoughtfully and allow others to grasp the importance.

On which note, listening to old interviews or press conferences he also asks questions (at the extreme, the ostrich stuff) rather than just talk at people. I wonder if it's part of the same approach, share thoughtful input, but also create a responsibility in others around you not to be passive but fill the silence with the  answers.

I might be reading a lot into interviews but he strikes me as a leader of the type we haven't had for a long time. 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

I agree he has a very calming voice but not necessarily one to send you to sleep - it's amazing how powerful a selective silence can be, and slow considered speaking. Some of the best leaders (and actors) have used it to great effect to exude confidence and have everyone hanging off their every word. I think NP will get that.

I find it a lot more easy to switch off when I hear inexperienced coaches waffling their way through answers as if they have to fill every space with their voice. It betrays a lack of confidence substituted for bluster. I imagine (or least hope) NP uses silence and brevity to speak thoughtfully and allow others to grasp the importance.

On which note, listening to old interviews or press conferences he also asks questions (at the extreme, the ostrich stuff) rather than just talk at people. I wonder if it's part of the same approach, share thoughtful input, but also create a responsibility in others around you not to be passive but fill the silence with the  answers.

I might be reading a lot into interviews but he strikes me as a leader of the type we haven't had for a long time. 

Perfectly summarised mate. 

He is far from soporific for me; he is interesting, assured, confident and measured and I was hanging on his every word keen to hear what he was going to say next.

He’s clearly a different class to anything we’ve had in recent years and could just be the missing piece of the jigsaw we needed to really make a step change. 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I could listen to him all day....thinks about his answers, even stops mid-sentence to make sure he says what he wants to say.

Paddle-boarding across I heard!

Agreed, no bull shite, straight honest answers, thinks about his replies, articulate and commands respect.
WTF was the club doing last summer?

A real manager. A real football man.  A genuine guy.  Someone genuinely pleased to be here.

None of us can ask for more. Such a relief not to hear all that management speak, and perhaps one of the few managers we’ve had in recent decades not to speak of finding the squad unfit.

I am sure we all wish him luck, but rather suspect luck won’t come into it as he is determined to work slowly but surely for success.

I really think we have at last given ourselves a real chance of success.

PS  He spoke of ‘we’ and ‘us’ throughout interview without it being false.

This is it, folks, hold tight we are off and it’s going to be fun

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I could listen to him all day....thinks about his answers, even stops mid-sentence to make sure he says what he wants to say.

Agree, some were joking with Gregor about being scared of him but I think he’ll relish interviewing someone like him compared to Lee or Dean

Good listen that : only just sat down to  the interview after busy day.

Three highlights for me

1) Liked his comments on developing players at any age

2) Liked the comment on using the probation period (if you want to call it that) as his motivation to do well and get a full time contract

3) Liked the avoidance of the word potential in the club, I.e he has zoned into precisely the frustrations people have

All this guff about his voice - rather that than Deans razor blade mouthwash vocal chords!

I thought it was a very accomplished performance for the media. He spent a long time answering each question, but I thought he actually said very little.

My expectations may have been unreasonably high given he only really started thinking about the job on Sunday, but I can’t help feeling a little disappointed with the interviews. Far from the straight talking perception of many, I fear too many media interviews avoiding the key issues.

23 minutes ago, Olé said:

When I first saw heard him interviewed regularly as a manager he came across as a bit “media-trained”, but then you realise he’s just considered in his answers.  He answers the question (in the main), although I like that if he’s asked a stupid question, he will challenge that.

29 minutes ago, Olé said:

Excellent post

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I believe you could get 250/1 before yesterday's win.

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

Yep, you could. Think Preston were about 125/1 despite them being on the same number of points and games as us at the time.

Something like 635/1 on Saturday evening. 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's rare that we see re-written lyrics that are amusing, make sense, actually scan and fit the tune. I doff my cap.

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

To a classic Cure tune:

I don't care if he's worn blue
Or played for Sheffield Wednesday too
Ashton, I don't care about you
It's Pearson, I'm in love
Holden watched it fall apart
No shots or corners broke my heart
We go again, a brand new start
It's Pearson, I'm in love

nope I can’t make it fit Boys Don’t Cry. Can you post a video of you singing it, to show how you’ve done it?

20 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

3) Liked the avoidance of the word potential in the club, I.e he has zoned into precisely the frustrations people have

This stood out for me. Will brook no excuses or waffle. Don’t talk about just do it. This will go down well with players as well as fans.

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

For me Clive, that's a disappointing selection of dinner guests. From all of history he selects that lot. A shame really.

Strange that he has not heard this question before. Maybe because he is a private man who spends a lot of time outside with his phone switched off.

42 minutes ago, Olé said:

Best negotiating tip ever.

When someone tells you their offer, sit their in silence. When they ask if you've heard, say yes I heard, and continue to sit in silence. Silence is so disarming, in no time they'll give you another offer as the silence is unbearable. 

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

A friend of mine who's close to Mike Stowell has always spoke really highly of Pearson. A real leader apparently 

He text me last night and his exact words were "a really loyal bloke who will give his absolute all to the club, but God help anyone who crosses him"

I've wanted this guy as our manager for a long time. People talked about Eddie Howe but there is something about Pearson that I think is just a better for for us. We seem to perform better as a club with managers who have a bit more of a tougher attitude. Gary Johnson and Cotterill to name two 

Pearson is someone who will want to be involved in the way the club is ran. Not just the team 

Exciting times 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Good review of his first views as City manager.

The thing that impressed me most was that he rarely said what he was going to do rather than what the players and staff will be working at.

IMO, we really do have a leader in the Pat Lam / Guardiola mould who is not a glory hunter for himself but for all of  the employees of the Club.

3 hours ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Agree with all that’s been said but just found his delivery a bit too measured/ slow.

If you equate   intelligent thoughtful and considered delivery as problematic.....maybe you'd be better off listening to a babbling Radio 1 DJ spurting 100 words a minute, but saying nothing of consequence?...............There I go again showing my age, and ending  up preferring substance over style?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

For me Clive, that's a disappointing selection of dinner guests. From all of history he selects that lot. A shame really.

What a forward line?   ...............Winston, Wellington and Henry........... !   So what would u say, if someone put you on the spot, to answer that question in 2 Minutes?  Adolf, Atilla and Rasputin? ?

Archived