IGNORED

Today's press conference

RedJim

He seems to have the confidence of a man who has nothing to prove to himself, and despite what he has achieved in the past, wants to prove what he can do to his new employer.

Based on that first interview, the medical team must be frantically shredding their notes!  Love the use of 'we, we'll, us'....already feels part of the set up, and wanting to see and know how ALL the club is run. He's going to ruffle some feathers for sure, and not before time either.

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Haha he was trying hard to quickly think of three people. Out of interest who would you choose?

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What a forward line?   ...............Winston, Wellington and Henry........... !   So what would u say, if someone put you on the spot, to answer that question in 2 Minutes?  Adolf, Atilla and Rasputin? ?

Three is a tough limit but, given I've had time to consider it and come up with some pretentious and more varied options, I'll go:

• Agrippina the Younger - directly related or married to all of the first 5 Roman Emperors, possibly the most powerful European woman in history (bar perhaps Queen Victoria). Ultimately murdered on her son Nero's orders (but she survived a few attempts as well).
  • Neil Armstrong - just bloody love space and shit innit.
  • Alfred the Great - pretty much formed England, held off the Vikings, spent much of his time in and around Somerset/Bristol/Wiltshire. A man who was never meant to be great, yet had it thrust upon him, and flourished.

Obviously many more, and there's almost no chance I'd come up with these three if asked on the spot, on camera, just 12 hours after starting a new job.

Really enjoyed the interview and the press conference. Some managers speak with lots of enthusiasm and passion but actually say very little - that's not so say he lacked enthusiasm, you could tell he is genuinely delighted to be here and have the opportunity. 

To be honest, based on what I knew about him a week ago, he's not what I expected, but that is purely down to my ignorance of only really noticing his "run-ins" on post match interviews and with the media etc.

As well as todays media I've listened to a lot of the stuff posted on his appointment thread from his time at Watford and more recent podcasts on managing people. Everything he says is very considered and as pointed out there are very few clichés. You can absolutely see why players would want to play for him. I get the impression that if you are giving it everything, then he'll look after you but if your standards start dropping below what's expected, you won't last long.

Interesting to hear when questioned about our poor defensive record too - stated you defend as a team and that starts from the front. Last night was the first time I'd seen us properly defend from the front in months. And I have to say, as pleased as I was with the result, it Pissed me off too!!! Our forwards have gotten off lightly on occasions as being starved of service and apparently not having the physical capacity or whatever to press/close down. Well they managed to do it last night and set the standard going forward.

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Three is a tough limit but, given I've had time to consider it and come up with some pretentious and more varied options, I'll go:

• Agrippina the Younger - directly related or married to all of the first 5 Roman Emperors, possibly the most powerful European woman in history (bar perhaps Queen Victoria). Ultimately murdered on her son Nero's orders (but she survived a few attempts as well).
  • Alfred the Great - pretty much formed England, held off the Vikings, spent much of his time in and around Somerset/Bristol/Wiltshire. A man who was never meant to be great, yet had it thrust upon him, and flourished.

Obviously many more, and there's almost no chance I'd come up with these three if asked on the spot, on camera, just 12 hours after starting a new job.

Imagine that conversation. Anyone been anywhere nice?

Alfred: Somerset

Armstrong: Ummm..

30 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Based on that first interview, the medical team must be frantically shredding their notes!  Love the use of 'we, we'll, us'....already feels part of the set up, and wanting to see and know how ALL the club is run. He's going to ruffle some feathers for sure, and not before time either.

Just look at Leicester he certainly had a part to play in the way they are now.

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

Love the comments on developing players throughout their careers and easing in youngsters at the right times.

I thought that was an important comment, not just throw them in because they are available but use them when they can perform well :clap:.

I thought it was a really good interview. Very different from the usual banalities. I don't think it's something he necessarily enjoys but he also understands that it's part of the job.

Everyone wishes him well and the sort of appointment that brings everyone together.

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Strong I have read quite a bit into Alfred and Armstrong but never even heard of your first dinner guest.

My choices wouldn't be people I admire but rather quite the opposite so I could give them a good talking to haha. 

To keep it football related my three footballing choices would be in no particular order:

Brian Clough

Bobby Robson

Colin Dan.....I mean Clark Carlisle

Two very unique managers who had influence on many of the coaches and managers of today. Clark Carlisle offers some insight into the dark side of the sport I.e mental health.

Not long finished work so have just had the chance to listen to the two interviews from NP, have not looked at the previous pages so there is every chance of repetition here.

Could listen to him all night, he comes over like a really good book (interesting and thought provoking) and a really good / genuine bloke. Someone who knows himself very well, with a formidable and thoughtful demeanor. He is articulate, didn’t waste any words, didn’t dodge anything, didn’t fall back on cliches and IMO didn’t say anything that would concern any fans; in fact quite the opposite, saying many things that will delight us as fans and everything was totally authentic. Already very much feel that what you see is what you get.

His communication style is fascinating, at times you get a touch of him challenging and a slight whiff of Cloughie, at other times you can almost see his brain unpicking the elements of his answer, layer upon layer. 

He will work really hard and will genuinely enjoy making his contribution, as part of the team, he is grounded, his ego doesn't need to be played out and he certainly won’t suffer fools.

Especially enjoyed (paraphrasing here) ‘we will get promoted when we deserve to’ and ‘I will work to get the best out of the players available and we will play to our collective strengths’ and ‘we will defend from the front and will attack from the back.’ 

In a nutshell... we have made a superb appointment, we have a manager that will earn respect quickly and will provide a positive role model. It is easy to see why the appointment started with a phone call on Sunday morning and was concluded by Sunday evening.

Am I chuffed to bits? You bet I am! 

11 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

My take away from the interview was how many times he used the word "we" he came across like he had been here for much longer than just a few hours. I thought he made it very clear that he was part of the club very well.

I know, at one point he seemed to be taking the blame for our disastrous run, certainly not a ‘pass the buck’ type of chap

20 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Not long finished work so have just had the chance to listen to the two interviews from NP, have not looked at the previous pages so there is every chance of repetition here.

Could listen to him all night, he comes over like a really good book (interesting and thought provoking) and a really good / genuine bloke. Someone who knows himself very well, with a formidable and thoughtful demeanor. He is articulate, didn’t waste any words, didn’t dodge anything, didn’t fall back on cliches and IMO didn’t say anything that would concern any fans; in fact quite the opposite, saying many things that will delight us as fans and everything was totally authentic. Already very much feel that what you see is what you get.

His communication style is fascinating, at times you get a touch of him challenging and a slight whiff of Cloughie, at other times you can almost see his brain unpicking the elements of his answer, layer upon layer. 

He will work really hard and will genuinely enjoy making his contribution, as part of the team, he is grounded, his ego doesn't need to be played out and he certainly won’t suffer fools.

Especially enjoyed (paraphrasing here) ‘we will get promoted when we deserve to’ and ‘I will work to get the best out of the players available and we will play to our collective strengths’ and ‘we will defend from the front and will attack from the back.’ 

In a nutshell... we have made a superb appointment, we have a manager that will earn respect quickly and will provide a positive role model. It is easy to see why the appointment started with a phone call on Sunday morning and was concluded by Sunday evening.

Am I chuffed to bits? You bet I am! 

Felt the same way mate!

3 hours ago, Banned User said:

Best negotiating tip ever.

When someone tells you their offer, sit their in silence. When they ask if you've heard, say yes I heard, and continue to sit in silence. Silence is so disarming, in no time they'll give you another offer as the silence is unbearable. 

Very powerful tool is silence, not easy to do at times but powerful just the same. 

Archived