IGNORED

Weightlifting (and other gym activities)

MarcusX

Not sure if there's a thread on this, I certainly can't see an active one. We've got the running thread, but I wondered if there were any lifters on here?

I got well into my running last year because of lockdown and eventually ran a 50 miler, but I'm not "a runner" in my eyes. It was a control mechanism for lockdown and keeping my mental health in check as I like to challenge myself.

My real passion is in the gym, weightlifting and anything that involves a barbell or dumbbell. I've competed in a couple of amateur fitness competitions and was really starting to push my level when Covid hit, really looking forward to getting back on a competition floor.

I'm really lucky that I was able to kit out my garage through last year, so these last 2 lockdowns since November I've been able to train almost as well as if I was in a gym. I've got a barbell, about 190kg of weight plates, a rack of DBs from 5-25kg, a couple of KBs 12 and 18kg, a bench, a rack for holding a barbell for squatting/pressing so pretty much everything I could need.

I've followed Sonny Webster for a while now and been doing his programs, first his squat program which was incredible for results and now his strength program and some of his more technical olympic lifting work

Anyone else got a home gym? Been training in some way at home? Looking forward to gyms re-opening? What's your go to programs and workouts?

39 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Lucky enough to have a gym at work that is considered essential. Not got loads of kit, but a lot can still be done with compound barbell work. The only thing I really miss is a prowler. Sickening thing but really good.

That's handy, yea some people dont realise how much you can still do with limited or one/two pieces of kit. Even having no kit there's plenty of things round the house you can use to add some weight/resistance

We'd just got a prowler at the gym when the first lockdown started so no ones really used it yet! 

1 hour ago, Super said:

People i find weird are the ones at the gym using the machines etc watching TV?

Isn't something to take your mind off what you're actually doing? So you're on the treadmill just watching the distance creep up, or you're running, watching TV "lose track of time" look down and you've done a mile sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, grifty said:

Isn't something to take your mind off what you're actually doing? So you're on the treadmill just watching the distance creep up, or you're running, watching TV "lose track of time" look down and you've done a mile sort of thing.

I also thought it was also so you didn’t get through your weight sets to quickly

My gym just had a big change of new machines in December and only had a sniff at them before Lockdown 3, so really keen to get back asap. Other than that I am getting some sort of benefit at home from online Bodypumps.

Actually I'm looking to get hold of 2x5Kg and 2x1.25Kg standard discs if anyone is having a clear-out.

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

That's handy, yea some people dont realise how much you can still do with limited or one/two pieces of kit. Even having no kit there's plenty of things round the house you can use to add some weight/resistance

We'd just got a prowler at the gym when the first lockdown started so no ones really used it yet! 

How many different ways you can squat. High bar, low bar, front, over head, split, sumo, pause...and that's just one exercise. 

Would struggle without it as I'm sure many are though. Not even that strong but its therapy through pain.

Started running though. That's been good for me

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

How many different ways you can squat. High bar, low bar, front, over head, split, sumo, pause...and that's just one exercise. 

Would struggle without it as I'm sure many are though. Not even that strong but its therapy through pain.

Started running though. That's been good for me

Yea that’s something I’ve been playing with, Jefferson squats are a good alternative for heavy leg work and using a landmine (or just resting the barbell in a corner)

also been using some resistance bands and trying isometric holds to make up for lighter weights  

Archived