IGNORED

Marley Watkins

Slippin cider

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Never given a true chance here, probably not top half Champ standard but did alright when he played.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Will help when he is back. Need more options 

I'd agree with both these posts. I don't think he's done enough to earn a new contract but he's a decent Championship level direct forward who, in the few games he has played, has shown enough to suggest he can give us another option going forward.

I don't think he'd be a bad fit for what I imagine Pearson wants to do - i.e. organised, direct attacking football - and I reckon if he gets fit he'll have a role to play, at least from the bench, in the last few weeks of the season. He's a limited player, for sure, but can be effective in his way and I do think he gets some unfair stick. 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Never given a true chance here, probably not top half Champ standard but did alright when he played.

Yes did not get great chance when was fit. But I do feel he offers so. Some thing differnt and gave us a better attacking edge when played. But depends on fitness. And weather our new boss has him on his plans I suppose 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

In the window before we signed him there was talk of a £3m fee!!!

Blimey Dave. That's crazy. As others have said, a reasonable lower to mid table championship squad player. I feel we should have been aiming a little higher, quality wise and not giving Norwich cash for him. Just my opinion. In three years he's played about 25 games for us if I remember correctly. Value for money?

34 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Blimey Dave. That's crazy. As others have said, a reasonable lower to mid table championship squad player. I feel we should have been aiming a little higher, quality wise and not giving Norwich cash for him. Just my opinion. In three years he's played about 25 games for us if I remember correctly. Value for money?

Yep, crazy!

Wasn't it about £1m in the end?

He was very good at Barnsley in 2016/17 at this level but he never hit the heights here or at Norwich.

Hasn't he had quite a few injuries here. Actually think a fit and in form Watkins- okay a Barnsley level Watkins then- would have useful attributes for a Pearson side but it's just not happened for him post Barnsley.

I do remember early on here, goals vs a decent Blackburn and a Sheffield United who would go on to get promotion. Hit woodwork v Rotherham end of September, would've been pro rata a 10-15 goals a season ratio had that gone in.

Maybe his confidence and performance level, consistency would have grown.

Unsure when but definitely remember him being injured in 2018.

3 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

........ and we are the only club to pay a fee for him. Norwich saw us coming.

Lovely days drinking with their fans when last there. They were 'apologetic' not only for having Watkins foisted into our squad but moreso for having taken a king's ransom for him.

They didn't need to re-enforce our opinion that he was unadulterated crap, but did so anyway.....

The problem was his injury record, when given a run of games he did ok but the run usually lasted about 5 games before getting injured again. When recruiting we need to give players with a poor fitness record a wide berth, sometimes we get tempted if they're particularly skilful (eg Mawson, Baker). Players like Brownhill, Flint, Pack are worth a lot more just because they're nearly always available for selection.

5 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Lovely days drinking with their fans when last there. They were 'apologetic' not only for having Watkins foisted into our squad but moreso for having taken a king's ransom for him.

They didn't need to re-enforce our opinion that he was unadulterated crap, but did so anyway.....

Doesn't quite explain his 2016/17 at Barnsley in which he was excellent however.

System player? Comfort zone- golden spell that he peaked in?

10 goals and 7 assists, with physical attributes and some decent technical stats isn't something to be dismissed lightly. Never got close to it since.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't quite explain his 2016/17 at Barnsley in which he was excellent however.

System player? Comfort zone- golden spell that he peaked in?

10 goals and 7 assists, with physical attributes and some decent technical stats isn't something to be dismissed lightly. Never got close to it since.

His problem is he both looks and plays like Stephen Pearson lite (and that ISN'T a flattering comparison.)

Archived