IGNORED

When is it a good time?

onlyotib

Can’t complain about the new manager or the win last night which was great however I do have a question. When is it a good time to give these other youngsters on the bench game time like Pearson and bell. We didn’t bring them on when loosing 6-0 at Watford. Loosing 1-0 to Barnsley or even winning 3-1 last night with 5 mins remaining. If we are not going to test them at this level what’s the point of them even warming the bench. Might aswell put Walsh on the bench and bring him on for last 10 mins if we need him. I would have been itching to get onto the pitch for the last 5 if I was Pearson last night. Is it possible we might give them more game time once we know we are safe from drop but can’t get enough points to make the play offs? I understand they are not fully developed yet and don’t have enough experience and will probably get loan deals next year but even so. Any thoughts on this?

5 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Can’t complain about the new manager or the win last night which was great however I do have a question. When is it a good time to give these other youngsters on the bench game time like Pearson and bell. We didn’t bring them on when loosing 6-0 at Watford. Loosing 1-0 to Barnsley or even winning 3-1 last night with 5 mins remaining. If we are not going to test them at this level what’s the point of them even warming the bench. Might aswell put Walsh on the bench and bring him on for last 10 mins if we need him. I would have been itching to get onto the pitch for the last 5 if I was Pearson last night. Is it possible we might give them more game time once we know we are safe from drop but can’t get enough points to make the play offs? I understand they are not fully developed yet and don’t have enough experience and will probably get loan deals next year but even so. Any thoughts on this?

They are on the bench as we have nobody else fit. Bringing them on whilst under the cosh last night or 6-0 down isn’t going to help them 

7 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Why do you think they are on the bench ? 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They are on the bench as we have nobody else fit. Bringing them on whilst under the cosh last night or 6-0 down isn’t going to help them 

But like I said if Walsh can play 60 mins in reserves why not put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 10 if needed. I understand he’s making small progress and is not match fit but neither are Pearson or bell if they ain’t playing

Few if any of us know much about Big Nige and his philosophy on how the game should be played. Add to that he it’ll take him a while to assess the abilities of the current squad and be relying greatly on Simmo and Downo expertise on the squad.

We don’t know either how much emphasis (if any) has been placed on Nige playing youngsters. That said I doubt we’ll see much change on Saturday from the winning matchday squad of last night.

It was a second half of one way traffic toward our goal with a few excursions to the Boro goal. Having lost six or seven in succession, this is one we needed to hold on to.

Just suppose we had brought on two or three young ones and blown it? Would that have been of any benefit to anyone?

Leave the ten minute "freebies" for a while.

But like I said if Walsh can play 60 mins in reserves why not put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 10 if needed. I understand he’s making small progress and is not match fit but neither are Pearson or bell if they ain’t playing

Walsh played in the under 23s yesterday. You want him to travel to Middlesbrough straight after the game and just about make kick off?! 

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It was a second half of one way traffic toward our goal with a few excursions to the Boro goal. Having lost six or seven in succession, this is one we needed to hold on to.

Just suppose we had brought on two or three young ones and blown it? Would that have been of any benefit to anyone?

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I totally understand but we brought semenyo on for the fast counter attack. Could bell not have done that for the last 5 or is he not that kind of striker?

12 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

You got to be so careful with the young uns. Especially those that are in their teens. It's a massive jump up from academy to first team...very few at this level take to it like a duck to water 

Having your confidence stripped away at such a young age could ruin your career. Nigel Pearson even touched on it in his interview that senior plays probally can't protect the younger players at the minute because they are to busy trying to sort their own game out 

Having these kids on the bench is all a part of their development process. It's not just about the game time, it's about the whole match day experience. Being around the first team squad, feeling comfortable around the first team players , being part of the warm up etc 

When the time comes and they start getting game time, they will already be feeling very much part of the squad 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Walsh played in the under 23s yesterday. You want him to travel to Middlesbrough straight after the game and just about make kick off?! 

Tbh I don’t want him to play unless he’s fully fit but I’m sure if can manage 60 mins he could fill in for 10 if needed. The point I’m trying to make is why the need to fill the bench if we have no interest in using it

4 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Tbh I don’t want him to play unless he’s fully fit but I’m sure if can manage 60 mins he could fill in for 10 if needed. The point I’m trying to make is why the need to fill the bench if we have no interest in using it

What happens if you get injury’s in game ?

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Few if any of us know much about Big Nige and his philosophy on how the game should be played. Add to that he it’ll take him a while to assess the abilities of the current squad and be relying greatly on Simmo and Downo expertise on the squad.

We don’t know either how much emphasis (if any) has been placed on Nige playing youngsters. That said I doubt we’ll see much change on Saturday from the winning matchday squad of last night.

Worth you listening to the club interview, it’s on the OS (I understand you frequent the site ???)....he talks in quite a bit of detail re youngsters.

8 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Walsh needs to get minutes in his legs. Not sit on a bench.

No point in not having a full bench. Sure they are learning just being around the first team 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worth you listening to the club interview, it’s on the OS (I understand you frequent the site ???)....he talks in quite a bit of detail re youngsters.

I tried to listen earlier but unfortunately my WiFi was buffering so I’ve not heard it all.

• younger player development? All players at all stages of career can look to be developed
  • if they’re good enough try to give them pitch time
  • added pressure of young players if the senior players are not able to help, e.g. trying to sort their own game out
  • no exact science on young player development
  • best chance of success for young players is in a stable team, that’s picking up results with consistent performances

I said it yesterday in a different thread, the youngsters can play when there is a decent plan in place, and when it's actually going to benefit them.

Priority this season has to be making sure we move the right way up the table and build momentum going into next season, and giving the manager a good look at what he has to work with so that if all goes well he knows what we need going into next season. 

If the youngsters can play a part in that then even better, but getting the club back in the right direction on the pitch will be a hundred times more beneficial for their careers than a couple of 10 minute cameos in dead games. In my opinion of course.

I agree with the general consensus.

That said, the one that did annoy me was the cup game at Millwall, 3-0 up and game over with 15 minutes left when the already overworked Martin comes on for Diedhiou. That would have been the ideal time to give Sam Bell a go but instead he only gets 3 minutes right at the end replacing Wells.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

• younger player development? All players at all stages of career can look to be developed
  • if they’re good enough try to give them pitch time
  • added pressure of young players if the senior players are not able to help, e.g. trying to sort their own game out
  • no exact science on young player development
  • best chance of success for young players is in a stable team, that’s picking up results with consistent performances

Common sense really - No real insights or originality there.

Archived