IGNORED

Referee for Saturday at Swansea

E.G.Red

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Better than Linnington, Langford, Ward, Eltringham.....count our blessing imho.

Without getting any better (or taller) our Keith will probably end up as the best Championship referee in a few years.

The first big name referee I remember seeing (and I'm not saying Keith Stoud is one) was Clive Thomas. And blow me, he's still going strong at 85 according to wilkipedia.

38 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Without getting any better (or taller) our Keith will probably end up as the best Championship referee in a few years.

The first big name referee I remember seeing (and I'm not saying Keith Stoud is one) was Clive Thomas. And blow me, he's still going strong at 85 according to wilkipedia.

Saw him disallow a last minute winner from a corner as the 90 was up while the ball was in the air according to him. 

Luckily it was for Luton against us. Always liked him after that. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Better than Linnington, Langford, Ward, Eltringham.....count our blessing imho.

Those 4 who we seem to get often, are all shite. Jared Gillett was also really terrible v Cardiff, but so were we, so we didn’t notice.

I do appreciate it is a really difficult job & this is not rose tinted glasses, the amount of blatant cheating & gamesmanship has never been higher, but the overall standard of referees this season has been shocking.

There is clearly a dearth of good ones coming through, even Trevor Kettle who is total rubbish, still gets a game most weeks though seems to be kept down at L1/L2 level these days.

Yes, referees at our level seem to have completely given up on punishing kicking the ball away, time wasting and feigning injury and fouls. A defender inviting contact and falling to the ground is a blight on championship football. Jack Hunt is particularly good at it. It’s never been easier to win a free kick.
Refs just go for an easy life. 

On 25/02/2021 at 23:05, firstdivision said:

Yes, referees at our level seem to have completely given up on punishing kicking the ball away, time wasting and feigning injury and fouls. A defender inviting contact and falling to the ground is a blight on championship football. Jack Hunt is particularly good at it. It’s never been easier to win a free kick.
Refs just go for an easy life. 

A directive was sent out to referees two seasons ago re kicking the ball away.

Basically, don’t book players for the little 10 yard kick aways, book players for the more serious offences.

As for the other things you mention, other than time wasting ( which the referee will add on anyway!) do you not think the players should take responsibility for these? why don’t they stop doing these things, rather than forcing the ref to make these calls, then ‘him’ getting accused of being over officious! 

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/269246/swansea-city-v-bristol-city-matchday-thread-game-day-!/#36

It’s good to see Keith from Stroud in charge of this game, he hasn’t got that far to drive and can get a lift back on the Bristol City team coach if he parks up on the M4/M5 junction. Lovely kebab van near there too, think about it Keith, it’s definitely an option pal.

Stroud last officiated a swans game on December 2nd 2020 when Middlesbrough beat the swans 2-1. He booked Grimes and Dhanda that day because he was scared of Neil Warnock. Steve Cooper didn’t bother him that much, but that was before Andy Woolmer went looking for it. We do have information that Stroud is now a bit concerned about this game because he doesn’t like Cooper either. We think, it might not be true, but if it is then it’s almost certainly correct. Stroud was also the ref for the first leg play off against Brentford last year, that night he went a bit nuts, but recovered well enough to drive home.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

A directive was sent out to referees two seasons ago re kicking the ball away.

Basically, don’t book players for the little 10 yard kick aways, book players for the more serious offences.

As for the other things you mention, other than time wasting ( which the referee will add on anyway!) do you not think the players should take responsibility for these? why don’t they stop doing these things, rather than forcing the ref to make these calls, then ‘him’ getting accused of being over officious! 

Asking players to take responsibility is a bit like asking a dog not to scoff chicken it finds in a field - sad but true.

Re: time-wasting - it breaks up the play so adding on time is no real deterrent.

Refs need to stop blowing up for everything - too many ‘fouls’ are soft/faked.

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

Asking players to take responsibility is a bit like asking a dog not to scoff chicken it finds in a field - sad but true.

Re: time-wasting - it breaks up the play so adding on time is no real deterrent.

Refs need to stop blowing up for everything - too many ‘fouls’ are soft/faked.

A foul is a foul, simple. If they don’t blow up for the soft fouls the game gradually gets out of hand.

Referees are there to control the game, too many games used to get out of control, that’s the reason why referees blow for what you class as ‘soft’ fouls.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

A foul is a foul, simple. If they don’t blow up for the soft fouls the game gradually gets out of hand.

Referees are there to control the game, too many games used to get out of control, that’s the reason why referees blow for what you class as ‘soft’ fouls.

I suppose what I mean by soft fouls is not fouls at all... where players go down easily, dive etc. 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Well yeah, and yet....

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I suppose what I mean by soft fouls is not fouls at all... where players go down easily, dive etc. 

I know what you mean ....

We do it on occasion, a player will get in front of an opposition player move forward and just stop, any touch in the back and he goes over, foul. We've done it and it annoys me when we fall for it. What we don't do, and they did it A LOT today, is scream every time there is a challenge. Over this season I think Stroud has been pretty good TBH, but he fell for it every time today. Not sure Towler would have been booked or spoken to if they hadn't have screamed .

14 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

(I know I’m biased, but) htf did Stroud initially find 7 minutes to add on to today’s second half and then extend it to 9.5 minutes after the 90? A few subs for both teams but I can’t recall more than one brief injury stoppage (to Fam). 

3 goals = 90 seconds

5 sub stoppages = 150 seconds

That’s the mandatory stuff....240 seconds.

Beggars belief really doesn’t it.

On 25/02/2021 at 21:33, grifty said:

I think the last time he reffed us, he actually stopped us taking a throw in too quickly to allow the other team to get back

Was probably to our benefit, we’d have only thrown it to the other team 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

3 goals = 90 seconds

5 sub stoppages = 150 seconds

That’s the mandatory stuff....240 seconds.

Beggars belief really doesn’t it.

Well the extra 2.5 minutes was the ayew/kalas situation while Bentley was down

no idea how it was 7 minutes though 

Archived