IGNORED

Anyone recommend a bathroom installer?

old_eastender

8 hours ago, Posset red said:

You get what you pay for with bathrooms. Best off asking friends and family than a public forum. Just going to end up with any old recommendations. I’d advise you go on personal recommendations rather than who’s the cheapest. I know good bathroom fitters but they arnt cheap. 

Understand what you are saying, but only last year had main bathroom done to high standard (unfortunately that installer now doing large scale jobs) and now seeing chancers quoting more than I paid for main bathroom which is 3 times the size of en-suite!)

6 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Understand what you are saying, but only last year had main bathroom done to high standard (unfortunately that installer now doing large scale jobs) and now seeing chancers quoting more than I paid for main bathroom which is 3 times the size of en-suite!)

I too am looking for one. Had a bloke quite me £325 a day labour. That’s 85k a year. He can stroll on. 

They’re busy so they can come up with these comedy quotes. If you can wait, wait. Work will slacken off soon and it’ll drive the price down. 

21 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I too am looking for one. Had a bloke quite me £325 a day labour. That’s 85k a year. He can stroll on. 

They’re busy so they can come up with these comedy quotes. If you can wait, wait. Work will slacken off soon and it’ll drive the price down. 

£325 a day!  I thought I was dear!  

On 27/02/2021 at 14:27, Fordy62 said:

£325 a day 

IF a one man band that is over priced 

but if he has to pay a labourer as well thats about the going rate

Personally I use Checkatrade online - you can post the job, read the reviews from other people who've had work done. I've used it for all sorts, from fencing and decking to bathrooms, electrics, flooring, decorating and carpet laying and it's been ace. Good people, fair prices.

But bathroom guys are never cheap, and you want it done right.

On 26/02/2021 at 09:24, old_eastender said:

Finding it hard to get a reasonably priced bathroom fitter to refurbish a small en-suite. Seems there are lots of chancers quoting silly money.

Any recommendations out there please?

Therein lies your problem, what you consider 'reasonably priced' will be a 5h1te job.

That aint £85k a year, if you think that you're seriously deluded, it's people like you who give us the laughs on the trade groups.

On 01/03/2021 at 21:10, Maltshoveller said:

£325 a day 

IF a one man band that is over priced 

but if he has to pay a labourer as well thats about the going rate

That isn't overpriced, seriously people need to get real about how much it costs to run as self employed.

My day rate, depending on the work is £350-500 a day and I have no issue getting work.

@Fordy62i don't earn anywhere near £85k, but you'll probably think i'm on £100k?

On 28/02/2021 at 11:58, Isawjonshaw said:

£325 a day!  I thought I was dear!  

What do you do and what are you charging for a day rate then?

3 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

That isn't overpriced, seriously people need to get real about how much it costs to run as self employed.

My day rate, depending on the work is £350-500 a day and I have no issue getting work.

@Fordy62i don't earn anywhere near £85k, but you'll probably think i'm on £100k?

If your getting £350- a day working 5 days a week

Have 4 weeks off for hols

That would be £84k ish which is near 85k

2 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

What do you do and what are you charging for a day rate then?

Oh Christ. Here we go with the self employed violin. 

Im not here to discuss how much you pay for insurance or membership to trades groups, fact is, you can deduce someone’s yearly wage by their daily rate. I’m not saying that’s how much you take home, it’s merely your wage.

There are plenty of trades people around who don’t earn 85k and do a perfectly good job.

We could start another discussion if you like, how much better off the economy would be if all tradesmen paid the correct amount of tax! I wonder what percentage do? 

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

If your getting £350- a day working 5 days a week

Have 4 weeks off for hols

That would be £84k ish which is near 85k

Then deduct pension contributions, time lost between jobs, income tax, corporation tax, national insurance  days lost to sickness, fixed overheads...

A day rate for the self employed isn't as great as the headline figure suggests.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Then deduct pension contributions, time lost between jobs, income tax, corporation tax, national insurance  days lost to sickness, fixed overheads...

A day rate for the self employed isn't as great as the headline figure suggests.

That’s the same for everyone tho pretty much. And we haven’t even considered trades ability to under declare their income - let’s not pretend this isn’t horrendously common place. 

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s the same for everyone tho pretty much. And we haven’t even considered trades ability to under declare their income - let’s not pretend this isn’t horrendously common place. 

Depends how you choose to pay them. If you give them cash then yes, they probably will avoid paying tax, but if you pay an invoice to am account in a company name....

The only real difference between PAYE and self employment is you end up paying for everything, which is why day rates seem higher, PAYE is just a blended version of the same with deductions at source.

If you still want someone let me know and I'll PM you, I used a recommendation from here and he has just done my refurb, excellent job and at a reasonable price. 

Archived