IGNORED

RIP Peter Lorimer (Update)

RoystonFoote'snephew

I see that Peter Lorimer, Leeds United all time record goalscorer (238), is very ill in a hospice. One of the nice guys in Revie's team I well remember a trademark power goal he scored against us in the infamous 2-0 FA Cup win (the one where Sprake was sent off for decking Garland) in 68. His goal that day flew like an exocet missile past Gibbo. Hoping for peace for his family. 

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I see that Peter Lorimer, Leeds United all time record goalscorer (238), is very ill in a hospice. One of the nice guys in Revie's team I well remember a trademark power goal he scored against us in the infamous 2-0 FA Cup win (the one where Sprake was sent off for decking Garland) in 68. His goal that day flew like an exocet missile past Gibbo. Hoping for peace for his family. 

It really has been a shit twelve months for Leeds. I used to love watching Peter play - as you say, I have never known a player hit a ball so hard. They were the old fashioned ones too - none of your modern aero dynamic ones.

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Ah that's a real shame. Real workhorse in that Leeds side, not the most skilful and totally one footed but by **** he could hit a ball.

Hope he has a peaceful end.

Thanks for posting this update - over the last year the Leeds family has lost Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry, Alex Sabella, Marius Zaliukas and Peter Hampton with Paul Madeley also passing away not long before that - a real rough ride for that club and this news just adds to the anguish - best wishes to Peter Lorimer (what a player!) and all at Elland Road ...

His name just reminds me of a time when football was so much more meaningful, more enjoyable and in some ways, much better. Great memories. Including seeing Bristol City mix it with all those great teams in the later part of the decade.

I had number 7 sock tabs for my 12th or 13th birthday.  My Dad convinced me that Peter Lorimer sent them to me.
Another good memory was getting a colour TV just in time for the Leeds v Arsenal FA Cup Final.

Lorimer was one of greatest players during the early Seventies. A Leeds United legend for sure.

From the age of eight to twenty one I lived in West Yorkshire. I watched all of the local teams every week, but mostly Leeds during the Revie era. Peter Lorimer was my favourite player, with the fastest shot in football, (though Bobby Charlton came close). I remember a Lorimer shot from inside Leeds' half v Man U, which Alex Stepney managed to deflect for a corner. He was shaking his hands for the rest of the match!

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for posting this update - over the last year the Leeds family has lost Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry, Alex Sabella, Marius Zaliukas and Peter Hampton with Paul Madeley also passing away not long before that - a real rough ride for that club and this news just adds to the anguish - best wishes to Peter Lorimer (what a player!) and all at Elland Road ...

Also Jack Charlton in July.

2 hours ago, glastonred said:

From the age of eight to twenty one I lived in West Yorkshire. I watched all of the local teams every week, but mostly Leeds during the Revie era. Peter Lorimer was my favourite player, with the fastest shot in football, (though Bobby Charlton came close). I remember a Lorimer shot from inside Leeds' half v Man U, which Alex Stepney managed to deflect for a corner. He was shaking his hands for the rest of the match!

We lived near Wakefield from 1966-8 and my dad had a season ticket at Elland Road. I supported them for years after we moved to Somerset, but gradually got sucked in to City as they were the nearest team we could watch.

It’s a pity that many people only remember them for being dirty - in the early 70s they played some of the best football I ever remember seeing.

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It really has been a shit twelve months for Leeds. I used to love watching Peter play - as you say, I have never known a player hit a ball so hard. They were the old fashioned ones too - none of your modern aero dynamic ones.

Add in this week’s sad news of Gordon McQueen’s early onset diagnosis.

Remember him cracking the ball in the net at the ‘75 European Cup Final, only for Bremner to be given offside by the ref rather than the linesman. Highly dodgy and arguably robbed of his key career moment.

One of those few players that seemed to be able to smack a ball low and hard at considerable pace. A sad loss.

20 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Very sadly Peter Lorimer has passed away.

The Scot, 74, was the Elland Road club’s leading scorer with 238 goals in a Leeds career spanning two spells and 24 years.

A true great for Leeds United and the game. 

RIP Peter and condolences to all the family.

That was fake news apparently someone obviously thought it a good idea to post on twitter that he had died.He is still in the hospice at the moment

28 minutes ago, BS13 Robin said:

That was fake news apparently someone obviously thought it a good idea to post on twitter that he had died.He is still in the hospice at the moment

How sad can some people be?

There’s no excuse in the world for creating and posting that.

On 27/02/2021 at 11:40, Leveller said:

We lived near Wakefield from 1966-8 and my dad had a season ticket at Elland Road. I supported them for years after we moved to Somerset, but gradually got sucked in to City as they were the nearest team we could watch.

It’s a pity that many people only remember them for being dirty - in the early 70s they played some of the best football I ever remember seeing.

Me too! I lived in West Yorkshire from 1963 to 1976, moving there as a child from Somerset. I watched the great Leeds' Don Revie side from '68 to '75, and they were indeed a sight to behold. Every player was a legend in his own right. Peter Lorimer was always my favourite, seconded by the great Eddie Gray, who I always thought was a better dribbler of the ball than George Best, though no-one ever believed me!

When I moved back to Somerset, I soon was drawn into supporting City, and I've kept the faith ever since, but I have never forgotten how privileged I was to be able to witness the great Leeds United side, who wrote their names in history!

45 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Me too! I lived in West Yorkshire from 1963 to 1976, moving there as a child from Somerset. I watched the great Leeds' Don Revie side from '68 to '75, and they were indeed a sight to behold. Every player was a legend in his own right. Peter Lorimer was always my favourite, seconded by the great Eddie Gray, who I always thought was a better dribbler of the ball than George Best, though no-one ever believed me!

When I moved back to Somerset, I soon was drawn into supporting City, and I've kept the faith ever since, but I have never forgotten how privileged I was to be able to witness the great Leeds United side, who wrote their names in history!

Sprake Reaney Cooper Bremner Charlton Hunter Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles  Gray. No Google required.

Who needed squads? Well I suppose Paul Madeley did.

On 26/02/2021 at 20:43, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Was there that day in the away end. May Peter be cared for as we know he will in a hospice. May his family be given peace in this sad time and be uplifted that the footballing community will be thinking of him.

Archived