IGNORED

Swansea (A) - Sat 27th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Hilarious how some posters who spent the first hour saying what rubbish we were completely disappeared, never to return, after our equaliser.  You know who you are!

We were certainly outclassed for 45 minutes BUT having a Manager who can make tactical tweaks to firstly keep us in the game (putting Wells in a more defensive position), hooking Towler before we were down to 10 men and then enabling a better second half performance is clearly what has been missing. It's called EXPERIENCE AND KNOW HOW..................

I actually think it was a good thing for Pearson to see us struggle like we did for 45 because it certainly busts the myth that we are this great quality side just missing a few tactical adjustments. Pearson will know he has work to do after watching that and based on what he's seen for himself can get on and do it with 6 more points in the bag than we could have realistically expected. I wouldn't worry about posters who don't come back when we win...........that has been happening for years.

I TRY to stay off here during the game. It’s been very difficult lately mind . 
First half was back to normal , dropping off , giving too much space. 
when we did have it, again it was like DH was still here, no belief , not wanting the ball etc. Understandable in a way after the run we had , confidence was fragile even after the win Tuesday.

What a massive difference it makes though having a calm experienced manager in charge. Made sense for him to go with the same shape / team from Tuesday , he’s said he likes the players to sort their own problems out but we’re not ready for that yet. 
left side constantly exposed so he drops Wells back to cut off the passing Lane. It worked for a few minutes but Swansea were exploiting young ryley’s inexperience plus being on a yellow. 
surprised at the start of the second half with a change of shape. Vyner going into midfield & what seemed a fairly fluid 4231/433 with the ball & 451 without it. 
What a transformation . We all of a sudden we’re out numbering them in midfield , sucking them in then pressing, winning the ball back in their half & counter attacking at pace .

The penalty seemed to split opinion on here. FWIW I thought it rolled down his chest & no surprise Mr Stroud wanting to be centre of attention .
To come back from that, get on the front foot & more or less out play Swansea in their own back yard afterwards was brilliant to watch.

all credit to the players & staff . However , having that nouse & experience made the difference. 
the futures bright its red & white .? 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

when we did have it, again it was like DH was still here, no belief , not wanting the ball etc. Understandable in a way after the run we had , confidence was fragile even after the win Tuesday.

What a massive difference it makes though having a calm experienced manager in charge. Made sense for him to go with the same shape / team from Tuesday , he’s said he likes the players to sort their own problems out but we’re not ready for that yet. 
left side constantly exposed so he drops Wells back to cut off the passing Lane. It worked for a few minutes but Swansea were exploiting young ryley’s inexperience plus being on a yellow. 
surprised at the start of the second half with a change of shape. Vyner going into midfield & what seemed a fairly fluid 4231/433 with the ball & 451 without it. 
What a transformation . We all of a sudden we’re out numbering them in midfield , sucking them in then pressing, winning the ball back in their half & counter attacking at pace .

The penalty seemed to split opinion on here. FWIW I thought it rolled down his chest & no surprise Mr Stroud wanting to be centre of attention .
To come back from that, get on the front foot & more or less out play Swansea in their own back yard afterwards was brilliant to watch.

all credit to the players & staff . However , having that nouse & experience made the difference. 

Always thought this is the best approach for us, might well be moving forward- just seems better balanced and more secure IMO. With better scope to ournumber in CM and more stability to avoid 2 v 1 in wide areas.

2nd half vs first was night and day, chalk and cheese- reaction post penalty was great.

Best bit, other than the win of course, is we have a manager who said what we all saw I.e. we should have been 2 or 3 down at HT. no sugar coating or spin, just a real view and more importantly a clever reaction. As a player that’s what you want, reality of the situation and a plan to affect it. Thank god we aren’t hearing the previous head coache(s) who would have told us we did well first half, great character etc. 

Some performance that. Not often a 'dodgy' penalty decision turns a game in the way it did.

KP & Nagy further forward pivotal, but today after a shaky yet gutsy opening 30 that was an immense effort. Loving the fact KP didn't shrink post the ref's call when others would have. Forwards great shift and excellent movement, all, for Wells goal.

Bentley again kept us in it until we finally got to terms with them. Banksesque at one point.

Pearson's animation and constant discussion with the coaches on the sideline a welcome addition to that we've seen these past few years.

A week ago if someone had said the next 2 games would result in an aggregate score of 6-2, who’d have believed it would be in our favour?

Who’d have believed it would be achieved with  midfield of Bakinson, Nagy and Palmer, young Towler playing and Wells playing an important role?

Football is a funny old game.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always thought this is the best approach for us, might well be moving forward- just seems better balanced and more secure IMO. With better scope to ournumber in CM and more stability to avoid 2 v 1 in wide areas.

2nd half vs first was night and day, chalk and cheese- reaction post penalty was great.

Totally agree . It’ll be really interesting i the area he wants to strengthen in the summer . I think that system gives you everything . A subtle change in & out of possession makes a big difference . 

Also, even though it’s been tough for some of the young lads & most of them wouldn’t of been involved if it wasn’t for the injuries , it will do them the world of good to have been involved this season 

13 minutes ago, One Team said:

Pearson’s post match interview is 6 minutes 28 seconds during which he gets asked only FOUR questions!

The interviewer seemed to hang on his every word as we all do!

Big Nige knows how to hold an audience and what to say. Seriously impressive. 

I’m still pinching myself we have him.

Really like what Nige said about Towler: “I’ve told him he’s helped us win these last two away games”

Exactly that, he’s a very young inexperienced lad playing against Premier League quality teams, it’s not been perfect but he’s played his part. Keep managing him well and he’s only going to improve. 

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I'm the same. I vent on Twitter, I used to come on here but by the time you try and comment , too many posts have popped up.

18 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Some performance that. Not often a 'dodgy' penalty decision turns a game in the way it did.

KP & Nagy further forward pivotal, but today after a shaky yet gutsy opening 30 that was an immense effort. Loving the fact KP didn't shrink post the ref's call when others would have. Forwards great shift and excellent movement, all, for Wells goal.

Bentley again kept us in it until we finally got to terms with them. Banksesque at one point.

Pearson's animation and constant discussion with the coaches on the sideline a welcome addition to that we've seen these past few years.

It's the difference between Johnsons ranting for show (he loved to be seen to be passionate ), Holden thinking what he want's to do (it was all new to him) and a proper experienced manager. Pearson has seen it all, so has his ideas for certain scenarios already. Great to see.

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How refreshing to hear it like it is instead if being I don't really want to use the word bullshited but it's the only one I feel apt,

I said earlier. I couldn't listen to Johnson's bull, Holden was much better but I actually WANT to hear what NP has to say. 

At last. 

Pearson is an absolute master of communication and leadership. He’s not read this from FA books, training courses or work experience. Nope, he’s a true natural and football savvy too.

Cotts was also a natural, but our Nige is several steps up. 

Both, possibly flawed geniuses in their own ways, but hey this could be one hell of a ride. 

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

How refreshing to hear it like it is instead if being I don't really want to use the word bullshited but it's the only one I feel apt,

Very balanced and thoughtful interview. I really appreciate the way he talked about failure and making mistakes. Despite having a reputation of not taking any s**t, he sounds like he will build a team that will work hard for each other but not get too down on each other when things go badly. Great way to run a team imo - really praying he's here for the long term

18 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Very balanced and thoughtful interview. I really appreciate the way he talked about failure and making mistakes. Despite having a reputation of not taking any s**t, he sounds like he will build a team that will work hard for each other but not get too down on each other when things go badly. Great way to run a team imo - really praying he's here for the long term

I like how he's respectful to Holden. That's the 2nd interview in which he's paid Holden compliments for the work he did.

Funny that Palmer said 'you don't want to get on the wrong side of [Pearson]'

Archived