IGNORED

Swansea (A) - Sat 27th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I decided to spend the afternoon chainsawing in the Portuguese sun (ok, I had to go to work).  When I got home I eagerly sat down to read the forum match thread in order to find out the result, with a €6 box of vinho tinto, as is my wont (I have all football score notifications turned off on my phone).

I'm still not sure if I believe what I read! Can Big Nige do wrong? Even miraculously transformed Semenyo into a goalscorer. And his post-match interview! How happy does he look. You know what, if, when I wake up tomorrow, I realise that the person next to me in my bed is in fact Nigel Pearson, I'll actually be reasonably content.

Terrible first half from us, but much better 2nd. 2 fantastic interviews today from Pearson, great to hear him dissect the game giving an honest and intelligent insights compared to the usual dross that got served up ("We weren't good enough", ""We go again in 2 days", "I've asked the players for a response!"). Give it a few weeks and reckon he will have sorted us right out, can see from day one the respect is there. (And no disrespect to Holden as he did well early doors but this guy is a different calibre and actually looking forward to the games again now!) 

2 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Best bit, other than the win of course, is we have a manager who said what we all saw I.e. we should have been 2 or 3 down at HT. no sugar coating or spin, just a real view and more importantly a clever reaction. As a player that’s what you want, reality of the situation and a plan to affect it. Thank god we aren’t hearing the previous head coache(s) who would have told us we did well first half, great character etc. 

I do feel like it’s easier for a manager to come in and say these things when he’s picking up someone else’s mess.

It’s a lot harder for a manager to admit 4/5/6 games in a row that we’ve been battered when it’s their tactics and selections causing it

Its refreshing to hear, but just a thought 

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Pearson’s post match interview is 6 minutes 28 seconds during which he gets asked only FOUR questions!

The interviewer seemed to hang on his every word as we all do!

Big Nige knows how to hold an audience and what to say. Seriously impressive. 

And what an impressive interview it was. Honest, clear, respectful and authoritative. No talk of Valentine’s after a 6-0 defeat, which today could’ve been today if they’d have gone in 2 or 3-0 up in the first half. 

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Watching the quest highlights, 100% the corner was planned, way they all celebrate says they were delighted it went to plan 

Kasey admitted he didn’t mean it. He said the ( more or less ) the keeper got a weakness so whip the ball in on top of him , he makes mistakes. 
Bents was a little bit like this last season , didn’t command his area . 
not like does now anyway 

I love the fact the players are playing with smiles on their faces, I mean I think Wells has also ran in his last 2 games than he did in his previous however many games and truth be told he started to pee me right off, the huddle was like something outta Cotts and last Pearson had lost his voice, this is just lovely

The other thing to take from the interview was that he could see from the first half it wasn't going to plan and analysed the situation and made a change, albeit slightly quicker due to yellow card and rash challenge by Towler, he made up his mind and did something about it.  At the same time being big enough after the game to tell young Towler he had been part of a team winning 2 games back to back. That will do wonders for his confidence. Rather than the pelters that would've gone his way if he'd got sent off.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I do feel like it’s easier for a manager to come in and say these things when he’s picking up someone else’s mess.

It’s a lot harder for a manager to admit 4/5/6 games in a row that we’ve been battered when it’s their tactics and selections causing it

Its refreshing to hear, but just a thought 

Agreed, but my worry was more that previous managers may have believed what they were saying. Almost the attitude of “we won so great” rather than truly learning and standing up to the truth. Of course everything in life is easier when you are winning, I know we won’t always play well, but it looks like we have a manager that calls it out and knows how to successfully change it. 

20 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Agreed, but my worry was more that previous managers may have believed what they were saying. Almost the attitude of “we won so great” rather than truly learning and standing up to the truth. Of course everything in life is easier when you are winning, I know we won’t always play well, but it looks like we have a manager that calls it out and knows how to successfully change it. 

I’ve said it so many times....it’s not about bollockings at this level, it’s about clear, convincing instruction.  He might give a bollocking but I’m sure today it was the instruction that made the difference.  He was right that there was still lots of effort first half, but misguided.  He made a change after 30-35 mins, dropping in Wells, giving us a slightly lopsided 4 in midfield.

Second half I wrote:

52 - shape a lot better - cutting WBs - means Swansea have to go central / long

So I thought we’d started the second half much better, Bakinson unlucky not to get a pen.  Unfortunately the next thing I wrote was:

53 - handball KP / pen / Ayew

We didn’t let our heads go down, little combos between SS + NW and then ZV + JH were getting us up the pitch.

Bar some long balls over the top of Hunt, Swansea barely played any football in our half in the second period.

Encouraging. 

I truly believe the difference in the short time Pearson's been here is in the first 30 mins today we could, possibly should, have been 3 down - but the players bust a gut to ensure we weren't. Why they do that now and not before is one of life's imponderables. 

Long may that spirit continue.

What impressed me about today was the collective spirit. The willingness to stay in the game, the belief.

I was also impressed by NP, he was not afraid to sub Towler off when he did to keep 11 on the pitch which he alluded to as they were clearly targeting him. He made a subtle tweak second half moving Vyner and it worked a treat. He again made reference to Dean Holden's influence which shows genuine respect and humility and was honest in his appraisal that Swansea could've been out of sight by half time such was their dominance.

He may think he hasn't done much in a few days but we're already reaping the benefits of employing an experienced person who's been there and done it.

THAT'S a manager who knows how to manage. 

11 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

This is what we've been missing for a long time.

All for one and one for all.

What a difference from just a fortnight ago.

Proud of each and every one of them.

Yes not seen that for a while. I think the huddle was a bit more how bloody lucky we were not to go in at half time 3-0 down. 

Song of Freedom

You're the finest I know
You're the most expensive in the world
You're like the stars
Like the wind
Like the waves
Like the birds
Like the flowers on the ground

You're my guiding star and friend
You're my faith, my hope, my love
You're my blood
And my lungs
My eyes
My shoulders
My hands and my heart

Freedom is your beautiful name
Friendship is your proud mother
Justice is your brother
Peace is your sister
The fight is your father
The future is your responsibility

You're the finest I know
You're like the stars
Like the wind
Like the waves
Like the birds

https://lyricstranslate.com

Song of Freedom

You're the finest I know
You're like the stars
Like the wind
Like the waves
Like the birds

You're my guiding star and friend
You're my faith, my hope, my love
You're my blood
And my lungs
My eyes
My shoulders
My hands and my heart

Freedom is your beautiful name
Friendship is your proud mother
Justice is your brother
Peace is your sister
The fight is your father
The future is your responsibility

You're the finest I know
You're like the stars
Like the wind
Like the waves
Like the birds

15 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Watched the highlights which were just fantastic! Also NP post match interview was a breath of fresh air , honest, unflustered and not a cliche in sight ....superb! ...on to Wednesday! :clap:

Yeah, Big Nige is very honest and considered in his interviews. No hot air or waffle.  I saw a pressers he had at the Foxes when he clashed with local hacks - well worth watching on YouTube.

He’s quite a formidable guy!

11 hours ago, Swede said:

What impressed me about today was the collective spirit. The willingness to stay in the game, the belief.

I was also impressed by NP, he was not afraid to sub Towler off when he did to keep 11 on the pitch which he alluded to as they were clearly targeting him. He made a subtle tweak second half moving Vyner and it worked a treat. He again made reference to Dean Holden's influence which shows genuine respect and humility and was honest in his appraisal that Swansea could've been out of sight by half time such was their dominance.

He may think he hasn't done much in a few days but we're already reaping the benefits of employing an experienced person who's been there and done it.

Agree with all of that. It is also clear that the collective spirit you mention comes from Pearson. What impressed me most about his post match interview is his team ethic. Yes he is a ‘big name’ manager but there is no ‘big I am’ or ego with him. For example, he went out of his way to praise the existing coaching staff and understood that the change of manager would have been difficult for them. He also praised Towler for his contribution to 2 good wins (despite a difficult first half for him yesterday). Quite simply, he is a leader. 

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Kasey admitted he didn’t mean it. He said the ( more or less ) the keeper got a weakness so whip the ball in on top of him , he makes mistakes. 
Bents was a little bit like this last season , didn’t command his area . 
not like does now anyway 

He didn’t mean to score,  wiping it in under the crossbar was 100% planned 

13 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I truly believe the difference in the short time Pearson's been here is in the first 30 mins today we could, possibly should, have been 3 down - but the players bust a gut to ensure we weren't. Why they do that now and not before is one of life's imponderables. 

Long may that spirit continue.

They did for half the season to be fair otherwise we wouldn't have got to 39 points as quickly as we did playing as poorly as we did. However, something clearly changed recently and there is no doubt in my mind that the players pretty much downed tools in terms of giving that little bit extra when we were under the cosh and that certainly showed in results. My gut feel says, and I certainly have no inside information so it's only a guess, is that the defeat at Rotherham was a bit of a turning point for Holden.

12 hours ago, Swede said:

The fact that Pearson used Vyner to make the tactical switch tells me that Zac is a better player than many give him credit for on here. Yes, he still makes the odd mistake (less and less common now) but I think we have a full-on Championship player on our hands now. He's arrived in the Pro game in other words.

20 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I had a feeling and now even more so that Pearson will be looking to play Bakinson a bit more advanced. Maybe even behind a striker in the future

You can clearly see tactics are the problem not so much the players. We went 433 second half and it all clicked into place.  That i think will Be how we roll from now on. 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The fact that Pearson used Vyner to make the tactical switch tells me that Zac is a better player than many give him credit for on here. Yes, he still makes the odd mistake (less and less common now) but I think we have a full-on Championship player on our hands now. He's arrived in the Pro game in other words.

Agreed; for so long I thought it was going to be Taylor Moore who was going to outstrip Zac but it appears now that he's leaving TM for dust. TM will need to develop further if he wants his career to be comfortably above League 1 standard.

Archived