IGNORED

Great team performance.

189thoughts

For me the difference was we had the same Bentley and Kalas show at times (particularly Bentley), but the reaction in the second half and after their goal in particular, was outstanding. Intent to get forward, inc full backs, but critically central midfield players.

Also, we were still going forward after taking the lead! Over recent seasons we’d have been pinned in our box thereafter. Not today. 

And really sensible changes at the right times. 

18 minutes ago, 189thoughts said:

Really hard to pick out a MoM as so many of them put in a shift today.

Such a relief to not just be picking out Kalas and Bentley as key players at the end of a game. 

Bentley for me.....if you average out first half and second half performances, nobody comes close to Bents.

Thought the 451 worked really well.  Allowed any of the central 3 (ZV, TB or AN) to take it in turns to go and engage the Swansea CB on the ball.  By putting NW and KP wide we cut out them building through their WBs, and Grimes and Hourihane had to go long much more often.

You could see confidence build as the game wore on.

I thought Palmer reacted really well to his error for the penalty. There was a little bit of casual play a few mins later but, in general, he was as key as anyone in driving us forward and turning a defensive performance into an attacking one.

I don't think I'd call him man of the match, given that he conceded the penalty and conceded possession in dangerous areas, but he did show an impressive amount of character and deserves credit for that. Plus, of course, the goal was ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I thought Palmer reacted really well to his error for the penalty. There was a little bit of casual play a few mins later but, in general, he was as key as anyone in driving us forward and turning a defensive performance into an attacking one.

I don't think I'd call him man of the match, given that he conceded the penalty and conceded possession in dangerous areas, but he did show an impressive amount of character and deserves credit for that. Plus, of course, the goal was ridiculous. 

AND Palmer is in the impending position (like very very soon) of becoming a dad again - Fair play, rather a good day for the lad 

50 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Thought he was probably our worst player if I had to pick.

Definitely need upgrading in the summer.

Maybe, but I'd also say a lack of competition and ability to rotate hasn't helped. Especially in a season like this- for months we had Hunt and- nobody- to compete as an authentic RB/RWB. That competition and freshness really helps, got an assist in midweek didn't he?

1 hour ago, 189thoughts said:

Really hard to pick out a MoM as so many of them put in a shift today.

Such a relief to not just be picking out Kalas and Bentley as key players at the end of a game. 

Defended brilliantly all game especially first half . Bents kept us in it though with 3 or 4 great saves. Without that , there’s no way we come back . Bents MOM 

To a man they put in an impressive performance and if I had to name a MoM it would be Palmer. I thought he had the best game that I can remember him having. The ‘flukey’ goal was no more than he deserved and he kinda made a joke out of it post match.

Clearly the players are very keen to impress Big Nige and that was obvious in the shifts they put in both at Boro and today.

Tough match midweek against B’muff who’ll be missing Wilshire who got sent off today and another 3 points would be delightful!

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Palmer and Vyner for me in the second half, with Sessegnon not far behind.  But Bentley, Mariappa and Kalas in the first half.

Think we now know Sessegnon will be playing left back the rest of the season - we actually had a threat that side for the first time since Rowe was injured.

2 hours ago, SBB said:

Bentley’s first half performance was as good as a outfield hat-trick, for me. 

Probably did save 3 goals.

I'm delighted with the wins, and both have had some good moments.

But the underlying issues are still there. Last two games we've played well for 30 minutes of each, and been second best for the other 60. That's enough to win the odd individual match, but it's not a sustainable method of winning game after game.

Today we scored one fluke direct from a corner, had several goal line clearances at our end, scored one soft goal last minute, our goalie was our MOTM, and we could have comfortably lost 4-1 but for some last-ditch defending.

Since Holden's departure the numbers for shots and shots on target for/against have increased from the absolute dirge we had in January and most of Feb, but they remain at levels more often associated with relegation candidates rather than promotion teams. 

This isn't a moan, it's a word of caution. I'm happy we've won two away games 3-1, but I'm keeping my feet on the ground for now as there's still some serious issues under the hood that need to be worked on.

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Probably did save 3 goals.

I'm delighted with the wins, and both have had some good moments.

But the underlying issues are still there. Last two games we've played well for 30 minutes of each, and been second best for the other 60. That's enough to win the odd individual match, but it's not a sustainable method of winning game after game.

Today we scored one fluke direct from a corner, had several goal line clearances at our end, scored one soft goal last minute, our goalie was our MOTM, and we could have comfortably lost 4-1 but for some last-ditch defending.

Since Holden's departure the numbers for shots and shots on target for/against have increased from the absolute dirge we had in January and most of Feb, but they remain at levels more often associated with relegation candidates rather than promotion teams. 

This isn't a moan, it's a word of caution. I'm happy we've won two away games 3-1, but I'm keeping my feet on the ground for now as there's still some serious issues under the hood that need to be worked on.

Thought it was closer to half and half at Middlesbrough, 60-30 sounds about right today.

Change in shape absolutely helped, as you say though plenty to work on still. Albeit from a good base.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought it was closer to half and half at Middlesbrough, 60-30 sounds about right today.

Change in shape absolutely helped, as you say though plenty to work on still. Albeit from a good base.

A good base, and yeh the switch to 541, and the change of Towler/Sess shows that Pearson is able to make changes on the fly. Successfully.

I just think that people are over-hyping this a bit, because compared to the last 15 games we've endured it's a 10 out of 10 performance. IMO, once you look back on it, it was simply good, not great.

But sure, a good base to build on.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

A good base, and yeh the switch to 541, and the change of Towler/Sess shows that Pearson is able to make changes on the fly. Successfully.

I just think that people are over-hyping this a bit, because compared to the last 15 games we've endured it's a 10 out of 10 performance. IMO, once you look back on it, it was simply good, not great.

But sure, a good base to build on.

Looked like 4-5-1 to me with Vyner pushed into midfield.

Worked a treat as well with Vyner laying on the goal for Wells.

Bentley MOM hands down, unreal. Thought Vyner was outstanding after I’ve been one of the more critical this season.

Was s great second half performance, poor first half again. NP alluded to the amount of defending first half and now effort of the forward thinking players to give that up to work defensively. 

Turn Bmouth over midweek and all of a sudden we’re right back in the mix!!

Archived