IGNORED

Penalties- Guess how many we average per season in the League from 2018/19 to now?

Mr Popodopolous

Despite the win. I know today was a bit soft and a bit self-inflicted. Bit of both at the same time basically.

However we don't get many. Attacking more is one part of it, from early 2019/20 to Barnsley at home it's been quite low taken as a whole.

If anyone can get it without looking it up, I'll be quite impressed. M

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I certainly cannot think of many at all.

Could it be as low as two a season?

Yep- 2019/20 3 and this season to date it's 2.

I think it might have been 4 in 2018/19 but then we attacked more- but some sides do seem to get quite a lot relative to the fairly attacking output but we are not one!

Leeds attacked loads over the last two seasons under Bielsa yet didn't get awarded that many all told. Thought the Palmer one today against us was soft. 

Indeed just checked Transfermarkt and it said we only got 2 in 2018/19- yet our attacking numbers were clearly better than this and last season overall!

It's 7 in 2 seasons and 33 games in the League.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it might have been 4 in 2018/19 but then we attacked more- but some sides do seem to get quite a lot relative to the fairly attacking output but we are not one!

Leeds attacked loads over the last two seasons under Bielsa yet didn't get awarded that many all told. Thought the Palmer one today against us was soft. 

Indeed just checked Transfermarkt and it said we only got 2 in 2018/19- yet our attacking numbers were clearly better than this and last season overall!

Fam missed one away to PNE last season didn't he?

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fam missed one away to PNE last season didn't he?

Was at Swansea I think.

I've checked a report from the game though, Weimann disallowed for offside, Diedhiou disallowed for a foul in build-up and they (Preston) got two penalties! One of which was a terrible decision.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes - for example the Gas who no matter what the relative merits of their attacking strike force maybe they consistently get awarded them season after season. Would be interesting to see comparison stats (and yes I am too lazy to do the research).

Just now, Reigate Red said:

Yes - for example the Gas who no matter what the relative merits of their attacking strike force maybe they consistently get awarded them season after season. Would be interesting to see comparison stats (and yes I am too lazy to do the research).

Actually checked it was 2 even in 2018/19- when we had better attacking output, numbers. 3 last year, 2 so far this- so tracking for 2-3 a season on average.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was at Swansea I think.

I've checked a report from the game though, Weimann disallowed for offside, Diedhiou disallowed for a foul in build-up and they (Preston) got two penalties! One of which was a terrible decision.

That was it, they got two. Fam missed a goal from about the penalty spot, but it wasn't a pen.

Anyway, it's not many is it. But then we have been actively avoiding the opposition box for about two years.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That was it, they got two. Fam missed a goal from about the penalty spot, but it wasn't a pen.

Anyway, it's not many is it. But then we have been actively avoiding the opposition box for about two years.

Yes attacking output down but if you look at some of the charts relative to creativity there are some interesting results over the last few years.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Haven’t we had 3 pens so far this season? 1 might have been in the FA cup though?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Haven’t we had 3 pens so far this season? 1 might have been in the FA cup though?

In the FA Cup at Millwall yep, Diedhiou scored it.

In the League though, we don't get many but then the amount we create doesn't help. With respect to this and last season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

2 would have been my guess but whatever it was I imagine it was at least a quarter or a fifth that Preston average. 

Rovers and PNE are awarded a minimum of 12 penalties per season. It is wrirren into EFL rules, didn't Man Utd get a crazy amount of penalties last season, something like one every 2.5 games? 

Part of this is either naivety or honesty on our part, depending on your point of view.

Preston blatantly go looking for penalties as part of their game plan, of the 3 they have had awarded against us up there in the last 2 seasons both Sinclair & Johnson dived without contact to win them, we just don’t do that.

We also don’t harangue referees the way say, Ayew does..

Poor old OGS moaning this morning that Man Utd wern't given a penalty yesterday because of what people are saying about the club's ability to "win" penalties! I'd feel more sorry for him if he questioned the correctness of some of the penalties that they've been awarded!

• Like 1

Not so much looking on the history but this season in isolation.

Rolling count in the League now 2 penalties to us this season, 5 against.

As I've said before and elsewhere, we don't create much but it feels a bit on the low side still? Surely if Coventry's vs us was one, then one (Semenyo?) turned down v Nottingham Forest also was. Or neither were but it's 2-5.

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so much looking on the history but this season in isolation.

Rolling count in the League now 2 penalties to us this season, 5 against.

As I've said before and elsewhere, we don't create much but it feels a bit on the low side still? Surely if Coventry's vs us was one, then one (Semenyo?) turned down v Nottingham Forest also was. Or neither were but it's 2-5.

Amazingly if you look on Twitter there are still Swansea fans moaning about the one we got against them at home in October when Conor Roberts lost his footing & tripped Semenyo.

This coming from a side with a diver like Andre Ayew up front..

• Like 5