IGNORED

Penalties- Guess how many we average per season in the League from 2018/19 to now?

Mr Popodopolous

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Amazingly if you look on Twitter there are still Swansea fans moaning about the one we got against them at home in October when Conor Roberts lost his footing & tripped Semenyo.

This coming from a side with a diver like Andre Ayew up front..

A match report in the Sunday Times IIRC did suggest it was a soft penalty last October.

However yeah it's incredibly rich of them. 4-5 penalties since sometime in February I believe!

Wycombe should perhaps have had one v them yesterday, Luton too in March so they're in no real position...

• Haha 1

As I thought @GrahamC found it- make of it what you will?

But in the 83rd minute Connor Roberts tangled with Bristol City’s Antoine Semenyo and Oliver Langford, the referee, awarded the softest of penalties that enabled Nahki Wells to salvage a point.

And

With time petering out, a long ball pumped diagonally across Swansea’s penalty area seemed to pose little danger, but Roberts’s slip was penalised as Semenyo also tumbled to the ground.

Not that I necessarily agree with their verdict- but the Reporter certainly thought so...thought it was perhaps a bit soft having watched it back.

Still, they get a lot- refs however don't give us much so **** it- we'll take it!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As I thought @GrahamC found it- make of it what you will?

And

Not that I necessarily agree with their verdict- but the Reporter certainly thought so...thought it was perhaps a bit soft having watched it back.

Still, they get a lot- refs however don't give us much so **** it- we'll take it!

My view (trying not to be biased) was it was pretty much identical in intent to the one that Kalas gave away at Coventry.

TK didn’t mean to, but he tripped the guy, Conor Roberts lost his footing & inadvertently pulled Semenyo to the ground, there is nowhere in the rules that says it has to be the intention, but he did so.

it was a penalty.

For me one of the clearest penalties we should have had was at Hull when Afobe played for us, the defender stumbled in pursuit & basically accidentally rugby tackled him to the floor, interestingly not long afterwards the ref awarded one for a trip on Rowe that was also a foul but more marginal.

• Like 1

We still don't get many.

Thought I'd update this, as we had 3 awarded against us in the last 3 League games.

Quick search says we got 2 for and 4 against in the season we almost made the playoffs in 2018/19- LJ's last full season. We had slightly more shots than we conceded.

Last 2 seasons we have had notable issues with creativity vs concession of chances.

Think it was 3 for and 4 against in 2019/20. That season saw 2 awarded against us in one game alone, Preston- amazingly the same ref we had v QPR, Andy Davies was it!

Last season, believe it was 2 for and 6 against.

I make it 1 for and 6 against this season, talking solely in the League- the one vs QPR was pretty clear yet not awarded and we probably should have had one vs Nottingham Forest and another at Coventry away when O'Dowda taken down?

What are we doing wrong I wonder. Are we naive in the box for one thing? I know we had creativity issues- yet we were still turned down a good shout v QPR!

8 for and 20 against in the last 3.5 seasons or so. They are quite important, they often get scored!

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I see PNE have scored a penalty against Cardiff today..

Decided to look into Preston, using the same period ie 2018/19 to the present in the League. Thought it might be an interesting comparison as we often are not that differently placed to them in the League.

25 for and 17 against.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We still don't get many.

Thought I'd update this, as we had 3 awarded against us in the last 3 League games.

Quick search says we got 2 for and 4 against in the season we almost made the playoffs in 2018/19- LJ's last full season. We had slightly more shots than we conceded.

Last 2 seasons we have had notable issues with creativity vs concession of chances.

Think it was 3 for and 4 against in 2019/20. That season saw 2 awarded against us in one game alone, Preston- amazingly the same ref we had v QPR, Andy Davies was it!

Last season, believe it was 2 for and 6 against.

I make it 1 for and 6 against this season, talking solely in the League- the one vs QPR was pretty clear yet not awarded and we probably should have had one vs Nottingham Forest and another at Coventry away when O'Dowda taken down?

What are we doing wrong I wonder. Are we naive in the box for one thing? I know we had creativity issues- yet we were still turned down a good shout v QPR!

8 for and 20 against in the last 3.5 seasons or so. They are quite important, they often get scored!

I guess last season and for some of this one, our default last 20 minutes of every game has been to sit deep and pray to high heaven that we don't concede. When you invite pressure, you invite (ahem) more box entries and are always prone to give away a penalty.

That said, I think we have the right to feel aggrieved by the last two league ones, given the context of what went on in the rest of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess last season and for some of this one, our default last 20 minutes of every game has been to sit deep and pray to high heaven that we don't concede. When you invite pressure, you invite (ahem) more box entries and are always prone to give away a penalty.

That said, I think we have the right to feel aggrieved by the last two league ones, given the context of what went on in the rest of the game. 

Agreed- as I say last season, and for good chunks of the season before, we had serious issues with creativity and were more reactive than proactive. For bits of this season too- the discrepancy vs say Preston is quite something though.

Last 2 and maybe 3...QPR home, Coventry away and maybe Nottingham Forest home.

Nothing new then.

I remember about 50 (yes, early 1970's) years ago the EP reported "City were only awarded two penalties last season". When questioned about this Geoff Merrick replied "It's probably because we don't attack enough, especially away from home".